Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#56731 02/13/02 06:33 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
...or a Lurker's Lament (unaccustomed as I am to public speaking)

warning possible high rant content

When I started looking in here a few months ago I thought to myself: here's something unique -- adults talking to other adults about language. I was much impressed with the erudition and scholarliness of those such as Bingley and NicholasW; with the net finesse of many here, providing links to fascinating sites I'd never even dream of looking for; with the seemingly genuine companionableness and open friendly manner on the part of almost everyone. Then of couse there are the wits. You all recognize I suppose that the true wit still has a modicum of the child in him. Ah, and here's the rub.

I'm going to assume that most of you are old enough to remember when Transactional Analysis was a Big Thing. According to TA, the ideal communication state, that in which the most effective transactions can take place, is Adult to Adult. But when a Child is present, there is a strong urge to resort to Parent-Child communications. And what we seem to have had come out here is an Alpha Parent who wants to control all the unruly Children.

So we have been presented with a Code of Conduct. And guess what? All of the other Adult/Parents feel constrained to chime in -- and the Child(s) has another good laugh at their expense.

---

Everyone here shares a certain (sub)set of interests, but not the same value set. To take a trivial example, but one which certainly has manifested itself here: the emoticon. We have some who shun its use altogether; e.g., wwh and Faldage. (This could well be the onliest thing that they will ever agree on.) We have others who use it liberally. It's usually just a matter of style -- I've talked to people about this and some feel that attaching a laugh to a post is like laughing at your own joke. And, I think, there are some who seem to believe that they can say almost anything and it's OK as long as they attach a smile.

Anyway, my point would seem to be that it's generally fruitless to argue about values, be it religion, politics, or the latest test match unless it's just for the sake of argument, which is in the room down the hall. If the group is large enough there's always going to be someone who takes the whole thing personally, can't detach themselves enough to be objective.

---

Here's a petition for you all:

I solemnly swear that I will continue to read these posts objectively, searching assiduously for content and not seditiously for intent, and if I can no longer manage to do this to my own satisfaction I will quit this place forever.

#56732 02/13/02 06:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hear, Here =)

#56733 02/13/02 06:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Amen!

#56734 02/13/02 06:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you!

#56735 02/13/02 07:00 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear tsuwm: I suffered through many months of T/A as a staff psychiatrist at VA Hospital. We had a series of such startling revelations, each over-throwing its predecessor. I have no idea what the prevailing doctrine is. But as you have shown, it did have some relevance to our posts here. I have sinned more than I was sinned against. I hope to do better in the future. But mine is a naughty Child.

#56736 02/13/02 07:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well-said, tsuwm!

#56737 02/13/02 07:54 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#56738 02/13/02 08:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
One of my more interesting classes in college, was a values class. the whole course was very simple.

week one. assignment.. make a list of 100 things you value

week two.. write a sentence about each thing you value

week three, stack rank them

week four, five and six from the top 25, write a pargraph about the values

week seven and eight, from the top ten, expand the paragraph to three paragraphs.

week nine and ten, from the top five, expand three paragraghs to full essay

week eleven, twelve and thirteen, be prepared to present your values to the class, and read one of your essays aloud.

what a class! what lists.. interesting (for example, i was the one in the class who has sex in my top ten list.. and when i mentioned it.. half the class blushed, and realized, it they hadn't even listed it in their list of 100! (glad i am not married to them!)

tsuwm is right... our values are different.. not good or bad, better or worse, just different. our vocabularies are different too. and we all find our self using cliche catch phrases.. that are different! it is certainly one of the things i love about this place.

it might be fun to have a values thread.(then again it could be dangerous!) and rather than add to it, we could edit our posts.. so i might post some of the things i value.. and later, if i wanted, i could edit my own post, rather that add to the thread.. it might grow to be longer than 100-- but only if we had over 100 regular posters..

#56739 02/13/02 09:35 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Allo of Troy.

What an interesting concept. Usually though, teachers do this type of thing for a reason. Was he/she trying to make you rethink your values?

#56740 02/13/02 09:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
tsuwm, 'tis brillig...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 471 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith