Page 1 of 2 1 2
#56375 02/12/02 03:31 AM
N
nancyk Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
N
Just finished reading Ahab's Wife, by Sena Jeter Naslund, and was quite taken with the rich story the author weaves about the life of Una, very briefly mentioned in Moby-Dick. How could you not love a book that begins, "Captain Ahab was neither my first husband nor my last."

I marked a couple of passages to share with you:

(Ahab speaking) "Beware the treachery of words, Mrs. Sparrow. They mean one thing to one person and the opposite to another. They are like all conventional, land-born habits. Words seem to be well-woven baskets ready to hold your meaning, but they betray you with rotted corners and splintered stays."

And, for lovers of alliteration: "S is the sound of the sea. Her surge and suck, her spray and surf. Sometimes she seethes. She knows the sound of smooth. With her s, the sea marries the shore, and then there is scamper and slush in the sand. With curling s's the sea rises to stroke the side of her superior, the sky, who loves and meets her in the s of spray, spawned in liquid and air."

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Two excellent passages! The first is so true - most of my domestic rows have been occasioned by exactly that treachery of words!

As a decidedly passionate lover of alliteration, the second is very appealing - there is something special surrounding the sound of "S", isn't there? It is certainly one of the easier letters to use for alliteration - is, by any chance, the most common initial letter? or possibly the most common sound?

No doubt someone will tell me where to LIU!

#56377 02/12/02 09:04 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
alliteration of "S"

Well Rhuby...here you go!

What hasssss it got in itsssss pocketsssss?

--Gollum

enthusiast
enthusiast
Howya Rhubarb

....the most common initial letter? or possibly the most common sound?

I refute yer idea and I am writen a little note ta ya, ta try ta prove that I might be right and you could be wrong about yer theory on the nineteenth letter of the alphabet. I wonder how far I can go without printen that letter.

Oh dear, I think that I am runnen out of...er..er...that thing that water would turn ta, if it were ta attain boilen point...

I think I have wrote enuff fer now, but mabee it would be fun ta determine how far ya could go without employen a particular letter of the alphabet (includen phonetically). What do ya think? Naturally, not every letter would qualify - I refer particularly ta the twenty fourth letter, and there may be another one of two.

By the way - I know yer talken about a novel (but I'd like ta get my one fiftieth of a dollar in) - I think Gregory Peck played the part in the film very well and I think he did a good job in intertrepen the character. He performed well in "Ta Kill a Mocken Bird" too. Fer the record - both of the men he played had a name that began with an A.

GallantTed

M
old hand
old hand
M

Just finished reading Ahab's Wife, by Sena Jeter Naslund, and was quite taken with the rich story the author weaves about the life of Una,

Sounds good Nancyk but before embarking on a 700 page 110 chapter journey it would be nice to know a little more about it, would you share? ( in checking the URL's I get the feeling that no one has really read this book. One reviewer said that it would take a small book to review it.)

As for you Gallant Ted, If Nancyk will permit, I will post on this thread a review of "Ella Minnow Pea" by Mark Dunn. This wordnerd can write chapter after chapter using only four or five letters of the alphabet.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Milum, isn't there some book written (in english) without the letter "e"? [which is far the most common letter, roughly 13-14% of a typical text-sample]

old hand
old hand
Re: milum's "700 page 110 chapter journey"

Something unanticipated that came out of my book club's discussion of Ahab's Wife was the numerical significance of page numbers and major illustration plates. We decided it was no accident that it has 666 pages and has 13 full-page illustration plates. One of the major themes of the book is the main character's refusal of her father's religious fervor, and there's probably some scholarship out there affirming the intentional use of numerology to reinforce that point.

I got the book for Christmas two years ago, and just finally got around to reading it about 6 months ago. I loved it, I passed it along to my mom, and she loved it too... some people in the book club got impatient with it, but I assured them that they hadn't properly assumed willing suspension of disbelief. Besides, I just read In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick, which provides a non-fiction account of one of the major happenings in Ahab's Wife, and Sena Jeter Naslund did her research. I was surprisingly impressed with the whole kit & kaboodle, particularly considering that reading Moby Dick in high school was tantamount to torture. I never thought I'd say this, but I might just have to read it again.

#56383 02/16/02 02:03 PM
old hand
old hand
"La Disparition" is a French novel of complex intrique by George Perec, written without using the letter "E". It was published in France in 1969 and translated into English, as "The Void", by Gilbert Adair in 1995.

Thanks, Davenport Public Library! http://www.rbls.lib.il.us/dpl/FAQletterE.htm

Oooh! Even better! Gadsby by Ernest Vincent Wright appears to be a contender in the "originally written in English" category! And the full text is online... hyperlink at the bottom of this page: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/eprime.htm

#56384 02/16/02 03:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I still haven't read either A Void[sic] or EMP yet, but.

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=46859

Cool on Gadsby, Fbabe! I hadn't heard of that one. [hurrying off to look]

Also, Sparteye started a cool thread on suchlike. Maybe we can resurrect it?

[gone for the weekend, but I'll be b-a-a-c-k!]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith