Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, as good as that sounds, I did say wander, not change my itinerary entirely. I had more of a 200 mile wide swath in mind, with I-75 or I-65 running right down the middle.

J
old hand
old hand
J
Well, I'd invite you to meet me, seeing as I-75 goes right through Cinci, but I'm leaving for London the same day.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, as good as that sounds, I did say wander, not change my itinerary entirely. I had more of a 200 mile wide swath in mind, with I-75 or I-65 running right down the middle.

Producer: And, to follow the total lack of newsworthy news of any note, including Middle C and A=440, here is a report from our Resident Weather Report Regurgitatoress, Cloudy Bay A very nice wine, especially if you've already had a bottle of something else - er, sorry, I'll read that again. Cloudy Day.

Cloudy Bay ... er, Day Hic! Haec! Hoc!: Here is the weather, or at least some twit of a meterologist's take on it. So I quote: "Hurricane Consuelo is reported to be carving a 200-mile swath..." Swath? Where's that damned dictionary? I think it's swathe myself? What? Really? ... is that your final word on the subject? I'm not allowed to check the accuracy of the wording of weather reports? So ... if that's the case, why are the damned weather forecasting people allowed to get the content so wrong? Oh! You don't say? I thought they had a couple of Crays in the basement of the National Weather Service or whatever? Is that right, just random numbers, eh? So ... those Crays do nothing but jumble up a stack of weather-forecasting-related phrases and churn out a completely made-up forecast? That does explain a lot. Thanks very much! Ahem, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls ... the weather, heh-heh. Make of it what you will.

Hurricane Consuelo is due to carve a swath - however it's spelled or spelt - from the mid-west to the south-east. The hurricane is travelling by car ... Now wait one damned minute, you twat, you don't expect that even the pea-brained general public will wear that one, do you? Hurricanes travelling by car? What next, stretch limos? Their own aircraft? Oh well ...

Folks, the weather forecast isn't making any sense at all today, so here's my personal take on it. The weather will be fine if it is fine, and it will be bad if it isn't. Snow will fall where snow falls. If you have any personal qualms or quibbles with the way that the sky looks at your place, please take an umbrella, suntan lotion or a snow shovel depending on your assessment of the likelihood of the appropriate weather event occurring. There will be a bomb over New Zealand. There's always one of those around. The New Zealand government is starting to suspect weather terrorism. Osama bin Laden is wanted for questioning in connection with the problem.

And if you happen to see a hurricane which answers to the name of "Consuelo" travelling by car from the Michigan area towards the Florida Keys, will you please let me know at AWADTV? And let me know about the swath/swathe, please. Because if you don't let me know that I'm not crazy pretty soon I'm going to jump out of the window. I'm blonde and this studio is in the basement. But I'll do it anyway!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#56264 03/04/02 10:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(from Cambridge Dictionary of American English)

swath
noun [C]
a strip or belt, or a long area of something
The sheriff's department polices a wide swath of the county.

swathe was not found in the Cambridge Dictionary of American English

swath (swth, swôth) also swathe (swth, swôth, swth)
n.

The width of a scythe stroke or a mowing-machine blade.
A path of this width made in mowing.
The mown grass or grain lying on such a path.
Something likened to a swath; a strip.

Idiom:
cut a swath
To create a great stir, impression, or display: “He cut a bold and even sacrificial swath across American politics” (Gail Sheehy).
To extend in distinctive physical length and width: “the surprising 17th Arrondissement, which cuts a generous swath across northwest Paris” (Jean Rafferty).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English swathe, from Old English swæth, track.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Well, CapK, we are both right, it seems. Once again, it depends which side of the pond you're on. Lucky you, if Hurricane Consuelo veers off into the ocean, she's likely to lose all her strength before reaching Merry Olde and you.

#56265 03/05/02 01:59 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
It's also a verb, at least here. (I have no Canadian dictionary on hand, so I'll define it myself.) It's what you do when you use a swather, that is, those farm machines that look like giant old-fashioned lawnmowers. The machine is a swather, the activity is swathing. The space left behind would be a swath.

#56266 03/05/02 03:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Category 5, no doubt!

J
old hand
old hand
J
Well, blokes, this afternoon I'm leaving Cinci for a trip across the bloody pond and I'll be romping around London (thanks, Jo), Bath and parts in between. I'd appreciate it if y'all wouldn't do any posting as to make it considerably easier for me when I return.

#56268 03/15/02 03:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Try hitting an internet café, JazzO. Have fun! Please don't come back swallowing syllables. And while in Bath, please give my regards to Sulis/Minerva.

#56269 03/15/02 09:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And while in Bath, please give my regards to Sulis/Minerva.

Do think he wouldn't, AnnaS? JazzO didn't come down in the last Shower (a little known town about four miles outside Dunny-on-the-Wold famous for its leaking rooves ...)

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#56270 03/15/02 09:56 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Have a great time Jazz. Colour me jealous. I can barely get my hubby away on vacation for a week - I have to bribe him with ocean, beach & sun - so England is out of the question. *sigh*

I'm waiting for that year every couple gets to, you know, where he says, "oh, why don't you and (insert friend's name here) go to England visit your castles while me and her hubby go off on golfing spree." and nobody is insulted cause, contrary to what you believed the day you started going out, the world will not come to an end if you are one minute apart.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith