About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#5597 08/30/00 04:20 AM
M
M
I was thinking of something akin to newspeak (Orwell).

#5598 08/30/00 04:21 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I don't buy many CDs or cassettes these days, so I'm a bit lost here. What actually is this sampling? Some sort of cover version?

Bingley

Bingley
#5599 08/30/00 01:38 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
sampling is quoting phrases or sounds from other sources.
any good music/electronic store should have a selection of sampling cds.
these cds contain recordings made by professional musicians that can be used by anyone who buys the cd in their own recording.
with digital recording becoming more sophisticated, it's quite easy to make a song around sampled sounds, using very little original input.
what people may be objecting to in this thread is the use by professional musicians of others' tunes, chord progressions, guitar riffs etc. in their own songs. this can seem like plagiarism.
i repeat that it's not that simple, and that sampling is the latest incarnation of the time honoured practice of arranging. perhaps because in sampling the sound is often identical to the original it appears the new version is cashing in on the old.
but often reggae, hip hop or rap versions of an old song are really creative arrangements.
you can't blame sampling for that other time honoured practice, stealing!

#5600 08/30/00 02:01 PM
A
A
>>Worse than that (could it be worse than not remembering Lennon?) is that they probably can't find Viet Nam on a map, identify the capital of half the U.S. states (or anyl the world's nations), recall who the second president os the U.S. was...

>>Is Smashing Pumpkins their halloween activity of choice?

I hate to bring up the whole Canada vs. USA but truly I can't identify the capitals of all or any US states, or identify their past presidents. But I can find Viet Nam on a map, and I do know who the Beatles are.
PS. I'm a "The Smashing Pumpkins" fan, and in their case, "smashing" is not a verb; it's an adjective.
(quite appropriate for this message board)

#5601 08/31/00 06:41 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>identify the capitals of all or any US states

Just catching up on the 197 posts on this part of the board since I last looked and realised that I can't do this to well either. I can cope with most of the eastern seaboard and a bit of the west coast before I get stumped. It would be interesting to see how many people from the UK think that Orlando is the capital of Florida (the state with the highest number of UK visitors).

On the other hand, I can name all the European capitals and can put a pin in a map to show the location of Paris (apparently the vast majority of American teenagers can't). I'll go and check out how my own children fare.

By the way - if you start off with Rolling Stones do you end up with Smashing Pumpkins?

#5602 08/31/00 06:43 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Subject: Re: Is there a word for it?

>identify the capitals of all or any US states

Just catching up on the 197 posts on this part of the board since I last looked and realised that I can't do this too well either. I can cope with most of the Eastern Seaboard and a bit of the West Coast before I get stumped. It would be interesting to see how many people from the UK think that Orlando is the capital of Florida (the state with the highest number of UK visitors).

On the other hand, I can name all the European capitals and can put a pin in a map to show the location of Paris (apparently the vast majority of American teenagers can't). I'll go and check out how my own children fare.

By the way - if you start off with Rolling Stones do you end up with Smashing Pumpkins?

#5603 08/31/00 08:04 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
identify the capitals of all or any US states

I think that's one advantage of living in a small country - one is forced to learn more about bigger ones. I think I could still name at least 30 state capitals, probably 3 or 4 Canadian provincial capitals, and most European national capitals. The drawback is that this national inferiority complex means that like most NZers I know shamefully little about the hstory of my own country. On the other hand, I once saw an American tourist interviewed on television upon arrival in Auckland who was stunned to learn that the Sydney Harbour Bridge did not link Sydney and Auckland!

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of humanity" - Albert Einstein

#5604 08/31/00 12:27 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
> By the way - if you start off with Rolling Stones do you end up with Smashing Pumpkins?

or maybe you jump to another thread and find that Rolling Thtones gather no Maths (or only enough to check their bank balance!)

#5605 08/31/00 04:37 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
My wife engages is this activity regularly. Mostly reading from my computer screen while I answer e-mail. I call it "eavesreading."

#5606 09/01/00 01:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, Stu! (By the way, do you realize that the use of the word disco rather dates you?)

Good thing I'm not married to your wife--I'd strangle her
with her own pearls!

Psst--I liked disco!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith