About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#54153 03/22/02 10:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Enthusiasm is not a bad thing, dear Milo. It's "old" hand that I object to Congratulations anyway

#54154 03/22/02 01:27 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I must say, I'm really impressed by the sense of community y'all have created.
Milum - enthusiasm is one of my favourite traits - without it, life can feel pretty empty. So don't fret. Besides, you'll get over it eventually!

#54155 03/22/02 03:41 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Where else would you find recent discussions of pig orgasms and pig vaginas?

#54156 03/22/02 05:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

That's a sad, sick post to make on a thread like this, Keiva. Especially in response to a newcomer's kind words about our AWAD community.

#54157 03/22/02 05:52 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
.., but in memory recovered like Dutch sailing vessels from the waste heap excavation that was both heap and excavation before the present dyke did threat to bust--

I don't mean to be rude--to interrupt rudely--here, but you can say that in English, you know.

Oh?

Ip yips about the boat they found buried in the muck when they first excavated Vesey Street to sink the piers of the World Trade Center.

(Be still, my better half!) ..did threat to bust. I discovered recently as my psychiatrist and his accountant scribbled past my sunken eyelids, that I'd wondered as a child how many names has God and because His names are numberless, I'd been counting ever since. Why ask Freud, when you can probe the Rector? A penny undreamed is a penny earned, and all that stuff.

My happiest moment here, then, was to discover that not only are His names discreet in number (though the number indiscreetly grow), but augmented by a suffix'ed suffix. Was here that this God first spoke to me, black fire on white, while the dropping Jacorandas eavesed.

And to all the rest: all the rest -- like marriage (or so they say) the best and worst of it together overbrim the cup.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Don't know how I missed this thread altogether, but I did. The best single moment on this board was meeting mfa, who caused me to start writing again. And writing ever since has never been sweeter because of his influence and friendship.

Beyond being opened up again after lying dormant (and thought to be dead) have been the many moments of jollity--the hippopotamess, getting tsuwm's dander up (playfully, always playfully--right, tsuwm?), watching Jackie shake her little tailfeathers--and knowing that she really cares about each of us, hearing stories from Bill--can't get enough often enough, playing Edward to Keiva's Emily, receiving sweets from Scotland, lifting my eyebrows when food threads sneak in, learning some of the coolest words on earth that are completely useless to most people except those such as we, being able to follow on occasion the inside jokes (and I'm such an on-the-outside-loop kind of person), sensing that one day, when I least expect it, glaciers really are going to make sense, and reading today Milum's public admission that he likes my poems--privately was a great charge, but, heh, Milum, a public admission brings tears to my eyes. and don't you go and fuss at me for this, Milum! You're my most loyal fan!

Ah, there are more fond memories, but I've got to go read some steenkin' pedagogy. That's my first use of steenkin'--and I've just been dying to use it just once!

Stales, how hard is pillow lava?

Best regards,
Wanewax

#54159 03/23/02 12:40 AM
R
R
Like wwh, I would be hard pressed to define a best moment. I just checked and realised that it has been just over a year since I registered on the board and I have lost count of the new words that I have learned; the number of times I have fired up my OED to look up something, gone off on a search engine induced (inspired?) tangent never to be seen again; the bits and pieces of local flavour from locales around the globe that I have savoured.

On the down side there is at least one grievous flaw with the board as it is now structured:

1. There should be warning labels, like on cigarette packages.
Warning: This site might be cause large spans of time to vanish without a trace.
Warning: Visiting this site might result in you having to stay up until 1:30 in the morning (again) to finish that assignment you were going to finish before you decided to just to read one or two short posts.

Like Wiarton Willie, every once in a while, I poke my head up through the pile of stuff that has buried me to see what’s going on.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Tail feathers? Tail feathers?? [outraged look e]
Come here, madam, and I'll SHOW you some tail feathers...

Be that as it may, I can't stand it any longer without saying this: how I LOVE you all! (not you-all--I mean every last one of you!) I just...I never knew this kind of thing could happen. I have been let into peoples' lives in incredible ways. People have cried on me (I can't think of a higher honor), and let me cry on them. We have laughed together--oh, how we have laughed! I cannot get over how clearly love comes through on an electronic screen where there is not even anything you can touch, but it does! I have FELT it, unmistakably, and oh, it is so warm... Thank you all so very much, from the bottom of my heart.

#54161 03/23/02 01:56 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G

That's a sad, sick post to make on a thread like this, Keiva. Especially in response to a newcomer's kind words
about our AWAD community.

Well, Mr Whitman O'Neal, I, as another sick person, enjoyed it.

This points up, I suppose, why I made a mistake in returning to AWAD Talk. I felt that I had made a connection with a few of you at times, but came to see that the belief was illusory, or, at best, transient. I have enjoyed WordWind's poetry, the erudition of TSUWM, Bingley, Max, CK, et. al, but most of all I have enjoyed Ted Remington's fantastic shaggy dog stories and puns. But enough is enough. More contrariness is more than I can handle.

Geoff Sanders, sad, sick person

#54162 03/23/02 02:35 AM
A
addict
addict
A
Now, don't you go leaving on us again Geoff. You hear me?

I loved it too! So I must be equally ill! This is a great place and I am happy that Keiva made that comment. Those are two of the funniest threads going lately. And we all need more humor in our lives! So lighten up guys. Don't take things so seriously.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith