#53932 01/29/02 12:22 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
caradea's post has been brought to my attention:

as keiva would be the first to tell us, this is what we'd call hearsay, and it wouldn't be admissible in court

Please do not ever presume to put words in my mouth and know what I would say, Caradea.
Would you prefer that I post documentary evidence -- that is, some of the actual texts of nastiness?

#53933 01/29/02 12:24 PM
R
addict
addict
R
Please enlighten me. My latin is a little lacking but my dictionary says that inter alia means "among other
things" and that does not make sense in the context you have provided. Is there a different meaning to this
phrase that does not appear in my dictionary?

I was wondering the same thing and the post was for my information!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Now, on reflection, I'm not so sure. Sure, Jeepers has only posted three times and has an 'uncanny' grasp of the AWAD board. Then again you can get a good idea of people's characters and the workings of this forum simply by sifting through a few threads. Jeepers may be a pseudonym of an old or established member but I'm not wholly convinced.

fwiw: Dickens registered on Jan. 28 2002; Jeepers on Nov. 29 2001. this, of course, proves nothing.

-joe (I'm not actually here) friday

R
addict
addict
R
fwiw: Dickens registered on Jan. 28 2002; Jeepers on Nov. 29 2001. this, of course, proves nothing.

This I knew, tsuwm, but thanks for pointing it out. As you said it proves nothing as you do not need to be logged in or registered to view posts.

#53936 01/29/02 03:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In reply to:

as keiva would be the first to tell us, this is what we'd call hearsay, and it wouldn't be admissible in court

Please do not ever presume to put words in my mouth and know what I would say, Caradea

WHOOPS! mea culpa, Keiva. i honestly had no idea that the laws in Illinois regarding the definition and inadmissibility of hearsay evidence (except in dying declarations) were different than those of California, where i studied criminal law. i should never have put those words into your mouth, and i apologize. i made the mistake of assuming that all state courts worked pretty much in the same manner. i have not had the opportunity to study federal law in any great degree, so i will gladly demur on this point to your greater knowledge. you have my humblest apologies.

Would you prefer that I post documentary evidence -- that is, some of the actual texts of nastiness?

oh, goodness no, not here on Anu's board... thank you. i tried to make that abundantly clear above, but did so in my characteristically fumbling manner. i just come here to talk about words, to learn, and to have a good laugh once in awhile.

#53937 01/29/02 03:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see that Annastrophic and Caradea want to change the subject. Getting a little hot in here?

Yes, thank you Dickens! (and welcome a-Board!) this is precisely what i was trying to say ~ but you've said it much more pithily! Flame wars are hot, and they make me uncomfortable -- even when i'm not involved.

and FWIW, when my toddlers get into a similar contest of he said/she said, and there's absolutely no way of getting down to the bottom of it without making assumptions as to who's telling the whole truth, i just send them ALL to their rooms. Now all of you--- get thee to Animal Safari!
now, back to the glory of words!

#53938 01/29/02 07:11 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
Caradea, you tell me you do not want us to see the hurtful PM's, and then tell Dickens the matter should be dismissed because the PM's are not before us. You seem to want to have it both ways.
BTW, the PM's have been omitted to date because of the practical concerns and senstitivity that faldage discussed. But by common law the PM's would be fully disclosable: if you want to make legal rules decisive here, you cannot object to publishing the PM's.

[Caradea: "WHOOPS! mea culpa, Keiva. i honestly had no idea that the laws in Illinois ... were ..."[/Caradea] Caradea, please note that I neither agreed nor disagreed with either your law or its relevance here; I left it for you to support your own views. Again, please do not misrepresent what I -- or stales -- have said.

#53939 01/29/02 07:29 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
as edited:

Mav and I have just had a heated exchange, and have resolved it in a fine way: with immediate correction and going forward from there. Perhaps that is the best way to handle the conflicts that will inevitably arise: not to ignore them, but to clean them up and proceed.

A sincere thank you, mav.

[Re-edit Feb 3 at 13:33, with reference to my contermporaneous post below: The above edit was made in the interest of peace on the board, and may or may not be a "white lie".]

#53941 01/29/02 07:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am proposing an AWAD mascot-- the american porcupine--

my reasoning is based on the old joke about porcupines..
How do porcupines mate?

Carefully, Very carefully

porcupine quills are barbed, and painful-- but the little porcupine, contrary to folk myth, can't shoot them. you have to get up real close, and actually touch the animal to get stuck.

porcupine quills-->think of feathers--> in latinate languages-->plume-->which lead into pen--> which makes us think of words, and harsh word can be "sharper than a serpant's tooth, and hurt feeling..

Kieva-- dear little porcupine lover.. i wish could sooth your wounds.

and yes, the pm's could be publish here,-- and maybe-- sans the name of the poster it might help.. either i am too much the dullard to realize when ignomy is heaped on me, or i have been spared.. or maybe, i just have a warped sense of humor and total missed the point of harsh critizisms.

i hope you let the writer know-- they need to know directly.

as i have gotten older, i have come to see the wisdom of the phrase "the sins of the father are heaped on the sons"..

those of us, who have grown used to, who have become inurred to harsh critizism, might not realize how harsh we sometime are with others.. those of us, who have been raised in wisdom and kindness might not have developed the callused hides we need to protect themselves from such harsh words.

I have no doubt, that you, and Wordwind, and Jackie have been hurt.. i would like, in charity, to believe that the person who hurt you did not intend to be as cruel as they were percieved. (but, i know i can can be harsh and cruel, and i know i want charity, even if i don't deserve it!-- so some times i think i am more charitable than most.)

this thread is rift, and it threatens to rip apart our community. I don't know what can be done.. but if something can be done, i am willing to try.

kieva, can you think of no other solution--beside leaving?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith