Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Stales,

Do musk sticks ever come in a white creamy colour. I vaguely remember something of the sort being sold here when I was young but they were called "de la tire musquée" I think musked taffy is the best translation.

#52854 01/22/02 03:08 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
If anyone thinks musk candy sounds gross, let them try lutefisk.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, stales, for that capsule review of Australian settlement history!...very enlightening. Now, as a history buff, I'm eager to delve into more of the details. (Although, I think I'll pass on the early Aussie settlers' candy-eating habits! )

#52856 01/22/02 03:32 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
gross, let them try lutefisk.
Ok, Bob--I'll bite. What is lutefisk? That word sounds fishy to me...

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
more of the details

Send me your address mate, and I'll send you a spare copy of a wonderful book I was enthusing about around a year back, called The Fatal Shore - I couldn't resist getting another copy to give to someone when I saw it for about $1 in a remnants sale recently!

BTW, thanks to Jo I recently experienced the delights of the standard USA Lifesavers. er, well, guys, I have three comments on these marvels:
1. Their flavo(u)r reminded me of a cross between old socks and lavatory disinfectant
B. Compared to this 'gourmetic' delight I would *always rather taste musk which is a wonderful and naturally aromatic sensation
III. In fact, compared to repeating this experience, I think I can honestly say I would rather suck a Fisherman's Friend

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re-- I'll send you a spare copy of a wonderful book I was enthusing about around a year back, called
The Fatal Shore -

Was that the history of australia that was published about the time of Australia's centenial?
(ie circa 1988?) there was an exhibit at AMNH, and i remember reading a book about the early years of australia, but i foolishly didn't by it. Still bits and peices stuck in my head--

Mostly i remember being startled that the country was so young.. I am so used to US and NY being called young.. after all even a young city in europe, (Dublin) is over 1000 years old.. and NY hasn't even celebrated 400..

It seemed there was a lot of australian stuff about then.. lots of movies, some books and several TV productions that found there way onto US public telelvision.. I particularly remember A Town Like Alice-- and while i haven't gotten to australia yet-- when i do get there, Alice will be on my itinerary!

J
old hand
old hand
J
[blueand NY hasn't even celebrated 400..

Virginia's quarter in the "50 State Quarters" program says "quadricentennial", I believe.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't know when Henry Hudson, sailed into the harbor, and started up the river that bears his name, but NYC charter traces the city to 1625-- (ycliu)--the year of the New Amsterdam Trading company charter, establishing a trading post colony on the tip of Manhattan.

the state might be older.. but NYC is still short of being 400 years old.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sir Walter Raleigh's colonists, successful or not, landed at Roanoke in 1587. I know this because I was reading a plaque in Plymouth at Christmas that said so, and plaques on harbour walls never lie, do they? That being the case, Virginia's quadricentennial is more or less right on the money, isn't it?

NYC is definitely a johnny-come-lately. JKC Centre or no ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Was that the history of australia that was published about the time of Australia's centenial?

I would guess so, Helen. And if anyone else wants a a dip into some of these waters without wading through a complete (populist) history tome, may I reccomend a novel called The English Passengers - it's a superb and accurately based story about Van Diemen's Land settlement, and is a rich study too for anyone even remotely interested in language... it is multiply-voiced and includes a lot of Manx dialect. A great read.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith