Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#51112 12/28/01 03:26 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
How many ways can we say the thing that utters the essence of the broken heart?

There are ongoing psychological studies of how the heart literally tells its own story. People who have received hearts from donors who begin to have dreams of past lives they've never known--at least in their current bodies.

The heart does speak.

And, when it's broken, it sings a ghostly dirge.

How else do we say it? My heart's broken in two--torn in two--split in two--....

How do you mend a broken heart?

How else do we say this? Is it simply the ONLY word that conveys this kind of division, this split, this gap...?

And, if this is the only word (so physical) that conveys the emotion, why? Why is that?

Anyway, on the lookout for synonymous suggestions here.

Still beating regards,
WW (Wynadotte according to the Spellchecker girl)

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Never an adolescent escaped heartbreak from having chosen blindly. Several times. Only time can heal by bringing the beginnings of wisdom.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thanks a lot, wordwitch; now I've got this stupid Bee Gees song stuck in my head...
http://www.superseventies.com/sl_howcanyoumend.html

p.s. - you done tore out my heart and stomped that sucker flat!

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"you done tore out my heart and stomped that sucker flat!"

It is a stupid line. The heart does not suck, it pumps.

Alas, there are so many stupid lines. The stupider, the better the adolescents like them.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dr. Bill-- i don't think i will ever get old enough or mature enough to be able to insulate myself from a broken heart-- the only way i know how to do it, it to isolate myself, and to stop caring about other..

all relationships end in sorrow.. because all relationships end. none of us are immortal, and i would be very depressed if i thought, at my death, no one was broken hearted, no one would feel torn asunder..

sometimes, you play the lecherous old curmungeon, and we rise up, and rant and rave, but do you doubt that many here consider you a friend? that even though we haven't met you, we care for you?

i can't begin to tell how how heartwarming it was, to come home on Sept 11, and find so many post, expressing concern for me. for the most part, everyone here is stranger to me.. but i feel loved here.

and as long as i continue to love, i continue to be open to heartbreak.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear tsuwm,

Done tore your heart out and stomped the sucker flat? Did you write that? Or the Bee Gees?

Here's a bit from those lyrics spinning cosmically in your head: bad lyrics alert!

How can you stop the rain from falling down?
How can you stop the sun from shining
What makes the world go round?

Don't 'cha think that the question about the world going around is a bit stupid following those "How" questions? That kind of thing really bugs me. It's like they're stretching, stretching, and, finally, they just stick the bugger in to finish out the line.

Best regards to tsuwm, little flattened sucker and all,
Word(well...)Witch

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Your heart doesn't actually break it just tears a little and when it heals, it can come back bigger and stronger than before, but when you hide it away for fear it will be torn again thats when it can wither,if your lucky enough to get another chance you've got to climb back on the horse

the Duncster

the Duncster
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Here is a fact
That should help you to fight
A bit longer:
Things that don't act-
ually kill you outright
Make you stronger.

-----Piet Hein

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of troy: Not applicable to you, quite possibly, but the biggest cause of heartbreak is forgetting the advice of Ben Franklin to have one's eyes wide open before matrimony, and then keeping them half shut.
I had no grounds for thinking myself entitled to perfection. If my wife had been perfect,the contrast would have made me very uncomfortable.I would never do anything to hurt the kids or lose them

In any event, better to have loved and lost, rather than never to have loved at all.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you done tore out my heart and stomped that sucker flat!
First, DubDub, I don't think these words are original to tsuwm--they are the exemplification of why I can't stand country music.

Second, I THINK the line, "What makes the world go 'round?" is there because of the answer to the question. That is, love is what makes our hearts feel whole or broken.

Dr. Bill, that was sound advice indeed--thank you. And I most definitely think of you as a friend.

Why DO we say our heart is broken? I seem to recall reading somewhere ages ago, that different cultures have different sayings for this phenomenon. Possibly one of them involved the stomach. Max and wow, got any Maori or Hawaiian for us? Wsieber, how about where you live, and Bingley, when you get back, what do they say in Indonesia?Emanuela, what do you-all say in Italy when you lose someone you love (about how you feel, I mean--not what sorts of names to call him! )?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 699 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith