About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#50942 12/29/01 11:09 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
while she has learned the past tense, she generally only knows the regular form.

The normal pattern among children learning language for the first time is to learn words in isolation and only later pick up the rules. Perhaps, because you may not have as much exposure to your granddaughter as you did to your children, you missed the stage where she was using irregular (strong) forms of verbs, only noticing when she learned the rule for weak verbs and began applying it to all verbs. Some children even use the strong form of a verb but apply the weak past tense marker anyway, e.g., "I sawed a man." She doesn't mean she tried a gender bender version of the magician's trick.

The important thing for you to remember, this isn't a step backward; this is a step forward.

#50943 12/29/01 02:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[possibly boring to most] Bob, what you noticed with your grandchild is the norm, or at least that's what I picked up from studies I read while I was fiddling around with computational linguistics way back when I was naive enough to think that teaching a computer to talk could be done independently of teaching a computer to think ... still, a dissertation completed and accepted is a dissertation finished.

I no longer have the papers I read - they got dumped several house moves ago - and so I can't quote, but nearly all children seem to learn language in much the same way, the detail of their approach depending on the language being learned.

At the same time as I was scrivening my way towards my post-grad diploma, my niece was rising two and a half years old and talking fit to bust. She was quite bright and learned new vocab at an impressive rate. But she had a grammatical/linguistic quirk which I found fascinating. She would say:

"I talk" for the present
"I talked" for the imperfect past, and
"I have talkted" for the perfect past.

The "talkted", as far as I could make out, was an attempt to add an extra "ed" to "talked", creating "talkeded", so to speak, the beginner's approach to parsing perfect past participles. It seemed to show that she had absorbed the idea that the perfect tense sometimes took a different form of the verb than the imperfect, and it was better to be "safe" than sorry.

Examples of this of course are fairly common, but for example:

"I grow"
"I grew"
"I have grown"

Why she, or any child, would be struck by this relatively small difference in verb formation to the extent that she would form a word-formation rule based on it, I have no idea.

And the rule of thumb she used kind of stuck, because I would correct her when she did it to one particular verb, e.g. "talked", but she would merrily continue to apply it to the next verb along.

At the time, I put it down to her being just her, but I've heard similar constructs out of the mouths of other near-babes and ex-sucklings since, so the papers I was reading would appear to be empirically corroborated even if it is based on a rather small sample.

Didn't help with the computational linguistics in the slightest, unfortunately ...

FWIW

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#50944 01/03/02 08:15 PM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
The difference between weak and strong verbs in English appears to date back to proto-Germanic, where the -d- inflexion arose. It does not appear to be related to weak inflexions in other Indo-European languages: e.g. Greek had a perfect using -k-, and Latin used -v-.

Proto-Indo-European probably didn't have a weak inflexion at all. I've got to admit this is more complicated than I understand and I would need to study several of my geet big thick books some more to get a handle on it. But basically, the sing-sang-sung kind of pattern was regular at the proto-Indo-European level.

It is theorized to derive from pre-Indo-European accent patterns, changing the vowels. I really should know more of this.

P.S. Hi.

#50945 01/04/02 03:09 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi, Sweet Nicholas! Thank you for the lovely post.

#50946 01/04/02 05:59 AM
D
addict
addict
D
For a brilliant (IMHO) discussion on weak and strong verbs, see if you can find the book "Words and Rules" by Stephen Pinker.

#50947 01/05/02 04:06 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Someone who is sleepy is someone who has a thin patina of sleep, someone not fully awake.

How interesting that you use sleepy primarily in that sense, Faldage. I always use it in the "needing sleep" sense. If I'm jolted (partly) awake and still semi-comotose, I am "groggy" or "half-asleep."

#50948 01/05/02 04:08 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Well, if the strong/weak issue is more complicated than NicW comprehends, I feel much better about my own feeble understanding.

Thanks for all the explications, guys.

#50949 01/05/02 04:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sleepy -- needing sleep

If I've been awake for thirty hours straight and I'm all hyped up on caffeine and sugar or whatever, I wouldn't describe myself as sleepy. Yinged out, maybe, but not sleepy. To me sleepy is characterized by yawning, heavy eyelids and difficulty staying awake.

#50950 01/05/02 11:40 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
all hyped up on caffeine and sugar or whatever

I'd call that wired.

#50951 01/05/02 11:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But not sleepy!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 716 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith