Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#50910 01/01/02 08:28 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Me comfused too. It appears from your link there is a Robin Hood flour. In New England King Arthur flour is the favorite. It is/was a family company and they mail world wide to fussy bakers/confectioners.
If you think that's confusing ... we have a local baker with the last name Flour and his shop is "Sweet Flours" ..
Brioche and butter anyone?
Oh, well!
http://ww3.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/start/ahome/main.html

For tons more information on this company (founded 1790) in Vermont just Google "King Arthur Flour"

#50911 01/02/02 04:06 PM
F
addict
addict
F
Just this morning I was thinking that with the leftover Provolone and buttery wheat bread in the fridge I would have myself a lovely "toasted cheese sandwich" tomorrow. But I thought it in a very British accent -- thereby proving that calling a grilled cheese sandwich "toasted" is yet another British abberation.

Whitman noted that: We do have a favorite sandwich in our immediate locale here on the tip of the South Jersey shore called a toasted hoagie.

There are many incorrect names for the wonderful combination of a long loaf of bread filled with various things, but to my mind, the only correct terminology is thus: a long loaf of bread filled with various things is a submarine sandwich or simply a sub. When you pass a sub through the oven to toast the bread and warm up (and melt, when appropriate) the fillings you have created a grinder. At the best pizza joints you can ask for "an Italian sub and an Italian grinder" and get two slightly different sandwiches. Hoagie me no hoagies and hero me no heroes, please.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sorry-- but i strongly disagree! there are local names for local foods.. and they are all slightly different..

just as we have slight varients in language, we have varients in food-- and different words in different regions for what is essential, the same.. but not quite.

if nothing else, the bread is different-- CK-- what did you think of the bread in US? except for the coast-- and even some places on east coast -- american bread is crap-- all fluff! this is not a food board-- and this topic is way too tempting to turn into a food topic..

meanwhile, on back in the old country, i think they are called "plough man's"..

F
addict
addict
F
I quipped: Hoagie me no hoagies and hero me no heroes, please.

of troy said: sorry-- but i strongly disagree! there are local names for local foods.. and they are all slightly different..

Just to clarify, I was indeed joking when I claimed that the only "correct" words for what I propose we now refer to as DNLBSs (Differently-Named Long-Bread Sandwiches) were Sub and Grinder. In fact, I realize that any names for those sandwiches are local at best and positively isolationist (down to the neighborhood or individual pizza place) in some places. I also relish (mmm.... relish) the vast variety of both foods and the names for those foods we have in the USA. And unlike DNLBSs, sometimes the name stays the same while the food item changes -- c.f. Hot Dogs: steamed with mustard and relish at Fenway Park (Boston) but grilled and covered with the contents of a medium-sized garden (lettuce?!) at Wrigley Field (Chicago).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in NY-- they are "dirty water dogs" sold by street venders, (who are regularly inspected by Health Dept.) and usually come up cleaner than most "established" restaraunts. but they are still dirty water dogs.

they come with mustard (golden yellow, or spicy dark -- vendors choice) sourkraut, and or onions in hot red chili sauce. pickle relish is available, too. most people only get one or two condiments, but no extra charge for relish, kraut, onions and mustard.

they used to offer sides of knishes, but the self same Dept of Health decided they couldn't keep them hot enough to keep them safe.. but you still can get a pretzle, as salty as you like, plain or with mustard.

#50915 01/02/02 11:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Brit-speaking friend:   
"We had pudding after Christmas dinner.   
It was made at the end of September."

Me, totally aghast:  
"September! But, but, doesn't it spoil?!"

BSF, in dignified outrage:  
"No--it matures."

Me:   
"But pudding is made with milk.  
How do you keep it from spoiling?"

BSF:   
"No, no--not that kind of pudding!   
I mean pudding: you know, anything sweet that you eat after a meal."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This is definitely toasted. No. Grilled. Whatever. Two tortillas (corn or flour), melty cheese (queso Chihuahua, monterrey jack, mozzerella, gruyere, you get the picture) and a medium hot pan or comál, no butter, oil or grease of any kind. Let the tortillas get good and crusty but not burned, just like a grilled cheese. Corn tortillas are best salted after toasting.My first recipe post. running for cover-e Serve with salsa. Or not.

post-edit Stating the obvious, here. Put the cheese between the tortillas.

#50917 01/03/02 01:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Two tortillas (corn or flour), ....

Oh geez, here we go with the recipes again. Run for cover you should!

#50918 01/03/02 02:48 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
it beats the dough to integrate air
into it.

So, is buttered Wonder Bread the preferred stuff to strap to the cat's back, being so light? Oh - long since dead thread. Sorry....

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Two tortillas (corn or flour), melty cheese (queso Chihuahua, monterrey jack, mozzerella, gruyere, you get the picture) and a medium hot pan or...

Commonly known as quesadillas. I useta use the oven (350° for 5 or 7 minutes depending on did you defrost the spinach), but me'n the ASp got a quesadilla maker for Christmas from her mom. It's totally unnecessary but lots o fun. And you get quesadillas in little sealed around the edges sections. Makes them a lot easier to cut up witout spilling no filling all over the place. Shrooms are real good in these thangs but I ain' telling y'all nothin bout my sekert ingrediment.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith