About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#50890 12/28/01 01:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The "Twin Cities" of Southwest Michigan - Benton Harbor and St. Joseph - are located among a cluster of communities on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.
http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com/whr/careers/location.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WW-- commented Does anybody remember Wonder Bread?

Wonder Bread being a classic example of the fluff made of flour and yeast that passed for bread in many parts of US. it was a light and fluffy as angel food cake.. with even less flavor.. a 1 lb. loaf was the size of a football field.. and a 98 lb weekly, could mash is flatter than a pancake in no time flat.

Bread, like language, rapidly becomes localized.. my parent hated wonderbread, and when we kids nagged and cried, and they finaly bought it.. we didn't like it either.. we had already learned to like real bread..

the same thing happened with my own children.. i baked bread, often white (the Cornel Cooperative Extention enriched loaf, known as Cornell bread--Hi Faldage!) and my son, now a parent, bakes bread for his family!

bread is a flexable (as food) and as a word..

break bread -- eat
have bread -- (have) money
white bread-- ordinary, bordering on boring
shortnin' bread -- a quickie!
others?

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of Troy:

Here's another:

Best thing since sliced bread

I like thinking about the breadfruit tree, by the way. Never saw one. Know nothing about them. But, oh, the images those two words evoke!

Bread regards,
WordWaxing

#50893 12/28/01 02:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And I thought they were Detroit and South Lyon. Sigh, another childhood dream smashed.

#50894 12/28/01 02:41 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Gor those who seem to think frying and grilling are the same thing I challenge them to do eggs over easy on a grill.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There was, back in Arizona in the 70s, an abomination that actually® sold under the brand name Balloon® Bread. Puffy Loaf®, on the other hand, was the creation of some science fiction writer.

#50896 12/28/01 05:52 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Wonder Bread (Builds Strong Bodies Twelve Ways; look for the blue, yellow and red balloons) is still made. I saw some at the store three days ago.

FOOD ENTRY: Wonder Bread is an extreme example of the commercial bread-manufacturing technique in the US of beating air into the bread dough to make it rise rather than permitting the yeast to ferment. The air-rise/yeast-rise distinction is a major reason that US bread is such crap when compared to European breads.

#50897 12/28/01 11:18 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Sparteye,

You wrote:

Wonder Bread is an extreme example of the commercial bread-manufacturing technique in the US of beating air into the bread dough to make it rise rather than permitting the yeast to ferment.

So, was there yeast in Wonder Bread (or currently in Wonder Bread)? All air rising? A second cousin of cotton candy? Or is there unfulfilled yeast in Wonder Bread?

That's plumb astonishing (or plum astonishing--don't know whether we solved that question today here).

Best regards,
WW

#50898 12/28/01 11:42 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In Colonial times, I doubt that there was any such thing as white bread. People got very tired of coarse bread, and when white bread first became available, few could afford it. So when light white bread became available, almost everybody wanted it, for no better reason than that it was something new. When I was a boy a chemical was used to bleach flour. One of the best things President Truman did was to make that illegal.
The wonderful thing about bread is the large number of varieties. I will never get tired of enjoying the aroma of home-made bread just out of the oven. I used to make dough in machine, but always baked it in the oven.
I can sympathize with German POW's in WWII who revolted, risking being shot, because they so dispised American bread.

#50899 12/29/01 01:40 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If any of you here travel in Mexico, pleeeease [Pleiades] don't buy pan Bimbo. [bimetallic] It's terrible, worse than Wonder Bread. The pan integral (whole wheat) looks like it was made with the sweepings from the lumber yard. Most stores sell pan de bolia [Bolivia] or pan blanco, [bland] individual sized french-style [frenetic] bread. Some of those are divine. If you can find a bakery that uses a good recipe, a brick oven and wood to heat it, you'll be in bread heaven whether your cheese sandwich be grilled, toasted, or slapped together in the park (remember to wash that tomato thoroughly).
[BTW when I spell checked this, AEnigma decided to erase it. Is AEnigma related to HAL? Or is she/he/it just demonstrating editorial power?]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 519 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith