About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re: from Jackie
...because they had to catch all they could before the fist stopped biting.
This is, no doubt, a ref. to biting the hand that feeds you?

since the fishermen (and crew) are catching the fish to eat, (and sell it to other to eat)
isn't this a case of you, feeding the hands on what bites?

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
WW says, "So the Byrne site is incorrect? I don't have her dictionary--just the site."

A suspicious lawyer might surmise that Dub-Dub possesses the dictionary but chose to mis-cite, it to stimulate discussion. His suspicion is allayed by noting that the dictionary's dust jacket includes a part of its text and prominantly displays the word hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian -- which Dub-Dub would have long since cited, had she seen it.

Post-edit, re response to hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian: my god, I've created a monster!

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva,

You wrote: His suspicion is allayed by noting that the dictionary's dust jacket includes a part of its text and prominantly displays the word hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian...

Your suspicion is justly allayed because I would have added hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian to my legal use of such hippopotomonstrosesquipedalious words. Recently, I mentioned hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliaphobia and, what follows (with mincing feet) the hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliaphobe!

Rest assured, by your insightful deduction, I do not possess Mrs. Bryne's dictionary. Ordered it on Amazon, but they cancelled! They probably intuited the trouble it would cause here. The Byrne site was incorrect; they've acknowledged the mistake to me, thanks to contsuwm.

And I, for one, will incorrectly use cornobbled for the rest of my days. [Ducking for fear of flying fish here]

Best regards,
Hippopotamonstrosesquipedaliadubdub

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hit by a fish?/hit by a fist?

Well, if a sailor or fisherman picks up a small flying fish from the deck, grips it in his fist, and then slugs you one...then it's like Candide, the best of all possible words! (or meanings) [having-your-cake-and-eating-it-too-e]

#49319 12/09/01 01:22 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
re:
the whole furshlugginer thing
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide.

This is MadŽ, do you hear me? MadŽ!

... I've always speculated that "potrzebie" is really a Polish word, which would be pronounced something like "p'CHEB-ya" in the original and mean a rubber ball, or a bad check, or maybe even Tigger, or something else that bounces...

Any Polish-speakers listening who might comment? or am I just being too imaginative?

#49320 12/09/01 03:05 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Cornobbled?

"It's the whole fishlugginer thing...You lug the high fish, and I'll lug the low fish..." from Loch Lomad

Alfred E. Seaman

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith