Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#49057 12/01/01 12:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As tsuwm quoted:
There is no need to raise funds especially for this purpose.

This comment leads me to continue my suspicions that since 9/11 (@ the time the slowdown began) a heck of a lot of internet traffic has been rerouted through nodes just outside of the NY area... possibly close to Ohio, maybe... and the amount of traffic alone, well, I'm sure someone with statistical *inclinations could *prove this point.

The wide fluctuations in access speeds go far to suggest that it has nothing to do with the wordsmith server. Hasn't anyone else noticed the overall slowdown of downloading that occurrs betweeen 3 and 5pm, the time that kids get home from school and the time that office workers get bored.

#49058 12/01/01 01:02 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I felt that Capital Kiwi might be the most qualified of those among us to judge, and he put the blame on the server. And while other servers are slow, I can't tell when it is my ISP timing out on me. The trouble with AWADtalk has been much greater than on any other site.

#49059 12/01/01 06:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think it's the server simply because it's the only site I go to which is so slow. i don't claim to have any special knowledge about the AWAD site in particular. But a server which is already overloaded will grind to a halt during "busy" periods, like after school and around dinnertime.

It could also be that the server is very badly configured, or that the bandwidth available to the server is minimal.

Whichever, I have spent less time on the Board lately because of it. I simply don't have the time to wait for it to cough up the next page when it feels like it. I timed it at three minutes last night between clicking on the post button and the successful post message coming back.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Two days ago I went ot the collapsed threads view for the first time simply because the time consumption of opening expanded threads was becoming torturous and, time-budget-wise, impossible. (I like seeing who's posting what on the expanded view). But I also have posts responding directly to mine mailed to my home mailbox. In the collapsed thread mode I can open the link in my mailbox to the AWAD page, the post comes up open with the rest of the collapsed thread in view, and I can post a response. I was always unable to post from the home mail link in the expanded view mode??? What's more, all the pages move zip! zip!...even the post! This expedites direct post, but you still have to go into the site to open other new posts not responding directly to yours. But it does save a lot of time. For new folks, to have your post responses mailed to your home mailbox, just check the proper box in your AWAD profile screen. Does this indicate that the server may not actually be the problem??

#49061 12/01/01 02:15 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I usually go to AWADboard about 9:30 a.m. and it is so slow that I've about given up trying to read the posts on the weekdays. One night last week I couldn't sleep and got on about midnight. Still slow as poke.
Weekends (Sat/Sun) are decent time but the worker bees are noticeably absent and I miss their comments.
But then, if I use Atomica on weekends it is pokey too!
Anyway, after reading Anu's note I sent off a small check - all my budget can handle right now, what with Christmas and fixed income. I have no idea what it costs to maintain a site like this but it must be considerable and The Great Anu is bearing the cost out of the goodness of his heart and his love of words.
I certainly do *not* think he is in it for the money!!!

Aside Comment : it is December First and 70 degrees here on the New Hampshire Seacoast today! I'll take it!

#49062 12/01/01 02:34 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Who is the person best positioned to diagnoes the problem and identify a possible solution? I would think that Anu would be far better positioned than any of us.

#49063 12/01/01 02:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would think that Anu would be far better positioned than any of us.

Yes.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#49064 12/01/01 05:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Yes.

anu@wordsmith.org

(it seems obvious that Anu doesn't take it (or handle it) personally, so you shouldn't feel shy about making your feelings known.)

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I went to the collapsed threads view for the first time ...

I do three things that help and I don't have too much of a problem.

(1) I get the e-mail summaries mailed to me every day for the main sections. I can skim through those in no time and get the gist of what is going on. I know that it jumps around a bit between threads but it is at least sequential and especially good for spotting posts which sink from the first page within a day. If I don't have time to read them then I just delete them and hope to catch up another day. I rarely have the time to go through days and days of posts.
(2) Replies are e-mailed to me and I can always open then (in collapsed mode) from my e-mail inbox as described by WhitmanO'Neill.
(2) I run collapsed mode, so threads always open quickly. I then use the icon at the top to convert to flat mode, so I can read all the entries quickly - this is sometimes the slowest bit but since I set the view number at 99, at least it doesn't open up in multiple pages any more so that I have to use a another step to click "show all" as I used to do.

Since I've had ADSL it has been generally fast with the odd slow day. I tend to clear my off line content and have reduced my history to keep pages for 0 days to stop my cache getting overloaded.

Jo

#49066 12/03/01 02:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Someone commented on duplicate posts, lately, and I have both received and sent multiple copies of the same PM--once, seven copies! (Sorry, Sweetie.) So I am posting this in case there is anyone else as slow as I am to catch on to this: I think, when you have typed a post or a PM and hit Submit, that when the page disappears, we can assume the thing has actually gone, even when the next page that comes up says "Cannot Find Server". Am I right?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 763 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith