Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#48923 11/28/01 11:50 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

What comes from the Land of Sky Blue Waters?

Not what, but who? Tsuwm, of course.

#48924 11/29/01 12:56 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
About Egyptian cotton:

" Here's a surprise to many The high-quality Egyptian cotton that is so
popular the world over was not even available in pharonic times. It was
only until the Christian period that cotton trees growing half-wild in Nubia
(southern Egypt) started being used. And finally, in the 19th century, an
American variety of cotton started flourishing in Egypt. So what did the ancient
Egyptians wear? Linen. Most everything men, women and children wore was
made from linen. In fact, the ancient Egyptians believed the Gods wore linen."

http://www.egyptmonth.com/mag01012001/

...so what in Sam's Hill is a "cotton tree"? All the cotton in my neck of the woods looks like a scrawny bush, at best, and really not much of a bush either. Would these scrawny plants grow into trees?

Bush regards,
WW

#48925 11/29/01 02:07 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Spanish windlass: a crude way of tightening a loop of rope passed around two fixed points, by inserting a rod between the ropes and turning it end over end so that the ropes are twisted tight. This is a jury-rig used only temporarily. But it can also be used as an emergency tourniquet to stop arterial bleeding.

#48926 11/29/01 02:29 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"Most everything men, women and children wore was made from linen. In fact, the ancient Egyptians believed the Gods wore linen."
I'll bet they would have preferred cotton if they had it. Linen can be very durable, but I have read that one of the worst torments the soldiers at Valley Forge had to endure was linen underwear that was horribly abrasive. I don't know of anything that should have made the home made linen garments of Revolutionary times inferior to what the Egyptians made.

"Next to myself, I like Hanes best."

#48927 11/29/01 09:57 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And, speaking of Spanish windlass (new term for me, thanks, wwh), what about Spanish moss? Does it grow in Spain? I think it's a member of the pineapple family, by the way, if memory serves me well.

And here's a tangent: One of the most memorable table settings I've seen included silver candlelabra entwined at the base with Spanish moss. Wonder whether the design of the twisting was that of a Spanish windlass? Certainly windlessness was desired there to keep the candles glowing! (Just kidding here.)

Bright regards,
WaxWind

#48928 11/29/01 07:46 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: Spanish Moss: Its Nature, History and Uses
... to which the genus Sphagnum (mosses that form peat) belongs. Spanish Moss and the
pineapple (Ananas comosus) belong to division Magnoliophyta , class Liliopsida ...
http://www.co.beaufort.sc.us/bftlib/spanish.htm

#48929 11/29/01 08:14 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
interesitng WW-- my understanding about cotton was that is was native to china (once saw an interesting print-- made in england that featured "cotton bushes"-- they were envisioned as "mutton trees" --little sheep caught in a bush!)

cotton might not have been grown in ancient egypt, but trade existed... small amounts of silk fibers have been found in tombs, as well as cotton. trade caravans existed , and trade goods from china made it to the near east and europe from very early on.
and since cotton seeds are so hard to remove from the raw fiber, i suspect some seeds ended up getting transported to mid east-- so there is no telling when cotton first started to grow in the area.

and like many wild plants, the varieties we see today, are the most commercial viable.. there might well be some form of periennial cotton that grows in small trees.. but i suspect its it not the most productive variety.

#48930 11/30/01 12:16 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Here's my list of misnamed words and phrases what have nothin ta do with their origin:

Maine Frame
Thai Breaker
Tibetan Horses
Colombo
Hungary Heart
Russian Home
Czech Shirt
Karachi Chop
Bonnbonn
College Liberian
Greece Lightning
Frankfurt - Tedfurst

Must Finnish Up now but there's plenty more where they came from.

Be seein ya

#48931 11/30/01 12:18 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Must read more about the uses of Spanish moss! I've only seen it used, as described above, on the candelabra!

Now cotton trees--those I would enjoy seeing in any form, scraggly or not!

Finally, I have a pet peeve when it comes to trees, and, could I join one society, it would be to the destruction of these trees. They are the ailanthus: The so-called "Tree of Heaven," which, to my mind, is the "Tree of Hell." It's worse than cudzu. It's growing all up around Rt. 81 up through Pennsylvania and all down into Virginia. Huge copses of it are taking over the natural woodlands. It appears a bit like hickories in that it has a compound leaf. But it is inexorable in its growth pattern. Where redbuds and dogwoods should be growing along the woods, there are the many upshoots of damned ailanthus. It's been naturalized for a long time, often seen sprotting up through sidewalks in cities. It propogates itself like mad. I see into the future in which the great American woods are nothing but a tent of this ailanthus.

Again, if anyone knows of a society that works against the Tree of Hell(I'm not a joiner of societies by disposition, but here I cross the line), please let me know here or in a PM.

Thoroughly disgustreed,
WailingWin

#48932 11/30/01 12:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good stuff, Gallant Ted. And you're right on every example: the names have nothing to do with the origins. Quite germane on your part.

Meanwhile, I'd like to suggest (again) that if anyone wants to discuss things other than words in great detail, I have a group of bookmarks that lead to forums on plants, wildlife, child rearing, cooking, etc. Happy to furnish upon request (though I won't be around much till next week).

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith