About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Something for Max and CapK...a site I stumbled across while googling for an O'Neill quote on irony (no, don't ask how this connected, I dunno). I put it here instead of I & A "in case" a discussion erupts. Enjoy!

The site is titled "Would You Like to be Maori? (Literary Constructions of Oral Culture)"

http://www.arts.uwo.ca/~andrewf/anzsc/anzsc4/williams4.htm

#48894 11/28/01 07:59 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
o/~ o/~ o/~
Her name was Maori, Maori,
Plain as any name can be,
But in Society, propriety,
they say Marie.

o/~ o/~ o/~

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Antime, Max! And, yeah, the site is much more extensive than the one article page I posted.
And, I was also wondering, Bean...when did the Canadians become so enamored of, and deem themselves of having superior insight to, Kiwi culture?

B
old hand
old hand
B
when did the Canadians become so enamored of, and deem themselves of having superior insight to, Kiwi culture?

I really don't know. That is VERY WEIRD.

Then again, my university has a pretty active Russian and German department. Russian? In Newfoundland? The place where 97% of people identify themselves as originating from the British Isles (I got that from a StatsCan document, BTW). I guess you never can guess what will interest people!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:when did the Canadians become so enamored of, and deem themselves of having superior insight to, Kiwi culture?

a few years ago, there was a TV show, (US)Early Edition-- about someone who had insight to future events.. the whole show was a take off of a Canadian show, (who's name i forget) with basicly the same premise.. the canadian show was mid '80's or so..

what was curious, was the producer was a guy from NJ--West NY, NJ as i recall. in an interview, when asked about living and working in Canada, and the difficulties of finding a "true canadian voice" --he replied it was easy. he said growing up in the shadow of NYC-- Living in a town called NY and all the while actually living in NJ-- gave him a total insight it to life as a canadian.. being canadian, was just like being from Jersey--writ large..

maybe canadian can see the Anzac point of view, because they have a similar relationship with england.. and are just at a latter stage..

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, I was very interested to see what was completely unfamiliar to me being given as the New Zealand nat'l anthem. I have had that on my list of favorites for some time now, and that verse is not included. Here's what I have, by Thomas Bracken. I can't even make the words on WO'N's site fit the melody.

God of nations! at Thy feet
In the bonds of love we meet,
Hear our voices, we entreat,
God defend our Free Land.
Guard Pacific's triple star,
From the shafts of strife and war,
Make her praises heard afar,
God defend New Zealand

Men of ev'ry creed and race
Gather here before Thy face,
Asking Thee to bless this place,
From dissension, envy, hate,
And corruption guard our State,
Make our country good and great,
God defend New Zealand.

Peace, not war, shall be our boast,
But, should foes assail our coast,
Make us then a mighty host,
Lord of battles in thy might,
Put our enemies to flight,
Let our cause be just and right,
God defend New Zealand.

Let our love for Thee increase,
May Thy blessings never cease,
Give us plenty, give us peace,
From dishonour and from shame
Guard our country's spotless name
Crown her with immortal fame,
God defend New Zealand.

May our mountains ever be
Freedom's ramparts on the sea,
Make us faithful unto Thee,
Guide her in the nations' van,
Preaching love and truth to man,
Working out Thy Glorious plan,
God defend New Zealand.

This isn't, perhaps, the best poetry ever written, but I wouldn't call it trash. It sounds very old-timey and full of fervor, and what anyone is fervent about, I will not belittle or disparage. I rather like it. I admire people who are not afraid to get right up and state their position, probably because I've had so much trouble overcoming my fear of doing just that.
=========================================================

Hmm--having just re-read the portion of the site in question, I see that it doesn't--quite--say that Moan the Waves IS the nat'l. anthem, but the implication is sure there.

#48900 11/28/01 05:52 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
o/~o/~o/~

"When the sun hits the sky
Like a big pizza pie
That's aMaori!"

old hand
old hand
>...but still isn't a patch on the (IMO) greatest national anthem of them all, La Marseillaise

I have no idea what the words are (in Italian or English), but I find the Italian national anthem very hard to beat. It's an uptempo march tune which, when you hear it, is hard to refrain from grinning like a split watermelon. It also seems to have this effect on the people proudly singing along. The music alone for me embodies the emotiveness of the Italian people.

stales

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith