2. steel-knee
3. tin-knee

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks for the link, Jackie.

Back to Faldage's... His provided a term for an ironic device that we've certainly observed, but the term was new to me. I quote:

"mycterismus

Also sp. mycterismus, micterismus
subsannatio
fleering frumpe

A mock given with an accompanying gesture, such as a scornful countenance.

Example
In some smiling sort looking aside or by drawing the lip awry or shrinking up the nose, as he had said to one whose words he believed not, 'No doubt, sir, of that' -- Puttenham"

http://humanities.byu.edu/rhetoric/silva.htm

Might mycterismus be used with humorous intent of an ironic
observation?

Attempting to be less stochastic, assuming stochasticism may be considered here to be relative
WW

#48560 11/25/01 09:54 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Fiberbabe observes on the link on irony Jackie provided:

Some time ago, a Harvard English professor (or someone of similar stature who seems to get paid for doing these sorts of things) put together a treatise about how, technically, none of the citations in that song illustrated irony at all. The pithy & brilliant comment that I took away from it was "None of those qualify as irony - the best that any of them can be described is a bummer."

Go Harvard.

...wish we had a link to this prof's arguments. If you observed a person taking a cigarette break under a "No Smoking" sign, unbeknownst to the smoker, wouldn't that be ironic?

WW

#48561 11/25/01 02:16 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I find it exceedingly ironic, that in a board devoted to the study of words, the word "Stochastic" has been used several times without being defined. I defy the perptrators to show that the word as used makes any sense.

#48562 11/25/01 03:33 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hello, wwh...

The only definitions I have of stochastic are: l.involving a random variable; 2.involving chance or probability.

I took Faldage's use of stochastic to imply that the term ironic is so broadly used, that its general features, so used, appear to be random, opperative word random.

If I misread Faldage, I beg to be set straight.

Best regards,
WW

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dr. Bill, I will combine into Wordwind's definition of stochastic that it means also: by guesswork or by chance.
Therefore it would make sense to me that Faldage might have meant that determining what constitutes irony is highly subjective, depending upon (hi, M!) what an individual's experiences and intrinsic mind-set are.

WW, I like that mycterismus word you found. I do hope it's a real word--my little mind has quite enough trouble keeping up with the new real words--I haven't any brain cells to spare to try and learn made-up ones! But it sounds like a combination of mystery, rictus (mind-leap, here), and miasma: quite intriguing!

#48564 11/25/01 06:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>...wish we had a link to this prof's arguments.

Professor emeritus of English, Paul Fussell discusses the use (and non-use) of irony in the words of songs on the best-selling album of pop singer Alanis Morissette in an article in The Washington Post. The album itself is called "Ironic" but Fussell found very little irony in the lyrics. Fussell had never heard the record but liked some of the lyrics after they were read to him. "Those are some pretty nice words," he said. "It's good for what it is. It's sardonic, and very little pop culture is." As for irony, Fussell found some situational irony in the songs but no rhetorical irony. "Rhetorical irony requires immense intellectual self-respect," he explained, "you have to be more or less brilliant to get rhetorical irony."

notes:

this is from the "Penn Arts & Sciences" newsletter. I suppose more than one prof may have tackled this thorny issue, but this should be in the Washington Post archives.

"more or less brilliant"... heh.

#48565 11/25/01 06:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from "A Conversation with Paul Fussell:

Hackney: Why would you say that war is ironic rather than heroic?

Fussell: It's ironic because everybody believes that life is pleasurable, and they should. They have a right to believe that, especially if they're brought up under a Constitution that talks about the pursuit of happiness. To have public life shot through with that kind of optimism and complacency is the grounds for horrible, instructive irony when those generalities prove not true. War tends to prove them not true. War is about survival and it's about mass killing and it's about killing or being killed -- that is, in the infantry -- and it is extremely unpleasant. One realizes that a terrible mistake has been made somewhere, either by the optimistic eighteenth century or by mechanistic twentieth century. The two don't fit together somehow, and that creates, obviously, irony.

for those interested in the entire Conversation:
http://raven.cc.ukans.edu/~kansite/ww_one/comment/fussell.htm

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Jackie et al.: Stochastic refers in a decidedly technical way to chance, in the design of statistical and mathematic operations.

sto[chas[tic 7stb kas4tik, st!38
adj.
5< Gr stochastikos, proceeding by guesswork, lit., skillful in aiming < stochazesthai, to aim at < stochos, a target: for IE base see STING6
1 of, pertaining to, or arising from chance; involving probability; random
2 Math. designating a process in which a sequence of values is drawn from a corresponding sequence of jointly distributed random variables

I think it is a pretentious misuse of a technical word such as "stochastic" when it does nothing to facilitate the reader's understanding, and in fact is certain to baffle the reader. As if I referred to your "calcaneus" instead of saying "heel".

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith