Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#48049 04/19/02 04:16 AM
C
stranger
stranger
C
I feel like St Paul [as one born out of time], in coming on this fascinating thread so long after anyone has added to it. Thanks, AWAD, for leaving it up for me to see, however belatedly.

There's not a musical difference between line and space notes; it's strictly graphical, as you pointed out.
There's an operational difference if you play a Wheatstone concertina. [BTW, Wheatstone himself regarded his concertina as much more important than the eponymous Bridge.] The notes on the lines are played with the right hand, and the notes in the spaces with the left. It gets a bit tricky with sharps and flats, and too bad if your 4-part harmony requires 4 notes all on one or the other! [Both thumbs and both little fingers are required to hold the instrument.]

Being able to state categorically whether a note is on a line or space leads to numerous, more highly complex notational reading skills, such as recognizing scale patterns, recognizing repeated notes, recognizing intervals, passing tones, chords, and so on.
Unfortunately my sight-reading skills never got that far. Why, I don't really know: except perhaps in what lessons I had, there was more emphasis placed on mastering the particular instrument I had at the time, and pre-war my parents couldn't afford much. And I can't understand why those skills haven't improved since, despite a fair bit of effort.

This should shed a little light on what some issues there are... or at least some of the limits that WW is working within as a music teacher. It seems her creativity (which, BTW, I applaud) to take things outside the "box" is the most rewarding part (as it has been for me)... which says a lot about the "box".
There's been a huge amount of effort put into inventing new languages for improving communication among peoples. I wonder why there's been so little AFAIK put into improving musical notation? Surely if we were starting from scratch, we could work out a better method?

Long ago I remember reading words for the upbeat--and other words related to the beat of the baton, but I failed to learn them. If anyone knows these rare words, I would be very interested in reading them here.
I think I've seen them, I think I know what book to look them up in, but I wish I knew where in my apartment that book is...
I do recall that if a phrase begins before the down beat, the note(s) before it are called an 'anacrusis' [one or two unstressed syllables prefixed to a verse properly beginning with an accented syllable--WCD 5th Ed].

musicians start counting from 1 instead of zero!
And when they get to the end of the bar [measure, in US English] they start over again!

#48050 07/21/02 10:44 AM
E
E

#48051 07/21/02 05:36 PM
Why would you want to? Seems a little nuts to me that you'd want to be with people that don't want to be with you.

#48052 07/21/02 07:09 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"ewein" has apologized quite adequately for her comparatively minor errors.
She contributed importantly to ending flamewar. I think she is a very
pleasant person, and I welcome her participation here.

#48053 07/21/02 09:04 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
quite adequately

That's only your personal judgment, Bill. I think you'll find yourself in a tiny minority.

#48054 07/21/02 09:17 PM
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
In reply to:

She contributed importantly to ending flamewar

After contributing even more significantly to fuelling it. Not everyone is quite so quick to forgive her perfidy and deceit. She came in here openly lying about who she was, and posted for months in support of her husband's trolling. As an occasional visitor here, I hope that some sense of shame will grant her the good sense to do as she has repeatedly said she would, and stay away for good. Of course, she has yet to show any inclination to keep her word or behave honestly. The more people who make it plain to her just how very unwelcome she is here, the better.

#48055 07/21/02 09:27 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I don't want to start another flamewar about this. You may have noticed that I
said many times Keiva was not welcome. But I have had many messages from
ewein, and I stand by what I said. I believe I know her better than you do.

#48056 07/21/02 09:44 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I believe I know her better than you do

So you insisted right up to the time when it was proved to you that she had lied about her identity. I too stand by what I said Bill - you seriously underestimate the widespread feelings about this name posting here again (since it will never be clear who is operating the keys), and you risk wrecking the newly re-established degree of accord.

Think again. Then again. Then again. There will be no second chance.

#48057 07/21/02 09:54 PM
A
stranger
stranger
A
>> Think again. Then again. Then again. There will be no second chance.

That last sentence sounds like a threat.

#48058 07/21/02 10:36 PM
old hand
old hand
>>Think again. Then again. Then again. There will be no second chance.

>That last sentence sounds like a threat.

And you, armor, sound suspiciously like Keiva.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith