Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#47948 11/17/01 06:42 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
There are some beautiful-sounding words associated with the culinary arts.

Cauldron is a personal favorite, both for sound and the images of bountiful, bubbling things being prepared.

Also, the mezza luna (hope spelling is correct), this cutting implement's being a crescent moon with a handle on each end.

And then there's the colander--I edited out the superfluous "l," thanks to my friend, wwh--the speckled holes through which liquid drains.

Cauldron, colander, mezza luna...and many more. I'm curious about the objects we find in our kitchens that ring with a sound that is pleasurable to contemplate along with their sometimes interesting purposes.

I must add the runcible spoon from The Owl and the Pussycat, which was a fanciful spoon non-existent at the time, but which you may now purchase as a sort of pickle knife, tined with curving, spoonlike tines.

Any others that come to mind?

WW

#47949 11/17/01 07:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...are some beautiful-sounding words... You and I could "go on" all day about what sounds beautiful, even though your initial choices seem to be *questionable...

A potatoe MASHER brings out all the images of hard work and preparation cooking can be...

A SOUP SPOON kinda makes me salivate in anticipation of the sound of slurping...

... an egg WHISK is quite onomatapoetic, as well.

#47950 11/17/01 07:54 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I also like épergne, the stacked levels of usually three plates on a central post. I once went to a tea in which the hostess had filled each plate (actually, they were more like bowls) with sugar and had put cones similar to canolli into the sugar--charming.

Salt cellars are cool...
Finger bowls are rare, but precious to think about...
Salvers stacked high with roast beef are succulent to think about...
Toby mugs are totally useless, but fun to say...
The groaning board sounds like where I'd like to be...
And waffle irons always waffle and never waffle... (Why does waffle mean waffle when the waffle iron turns out something of such predetermined pattern?)
Tea eggs are laid by Chinese chefs...
Carving knife has a good enough sound to put into a nursery rhyme...
Also, Polly put the kettle on...
Which brings in a tea cozy...
And tea tray...

I'd love to learn some more rare ones, however, like the mezza luna. I hope I'll have grandchilren one day to take out the mezza luna one night for slicing celery for ruby salad--then out to look at the moon...

WW

#47951 11/17/01 08:36 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Cauldrons are for cooking missionaries whole.And (forgive me)
my colander has only one "l". I expect to pay for that impertinence. I did not expect to get off so easily.

Three blind mice, a new politically correct version:

A triumvirate of murine rodents totally devoid of ophthalmic acuity was observed in a state of rapid locomotion in pursuit of an agriculturalist's uxorial adjunct. The aforesaid adjunct then performed a triple caudectomy utilizing an acutely honed bladed instrument generally used for subdivision of edible tissue.

#47952 11/17/01 08:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
or how about making music in the kitchen on a mandoline? never could figure out the relationship between a slicer and musical instrument.
or baster.. how does it relate to quick sewing? and why are fancy double boilers called bain maries?

The answers to these questions and more can be found... can they be found?

#47953 11/17/01 09:05 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
ETYMOLOGY:French, from Medieval Latin balneum Mariae, bath of Maria, probably after Maria, an early alchemist.

Dear of troy: thanks for teaching me a new word. I have seen many cut fingers from the gadget, but never heard the name of it. Mandoline. And all these years I was ignorant enough to call it a slicer.

#47954 11/17/01 09:27 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Impertinence, indeed! wwh, I thank you for the correction! You've saved me a challenge in Scrabble, which is, of course, the point of visiting WAD wegulawy...

But I did liu, just in case, and I found a synonym for colander (see, I'm a good student!) that has two ll's:

cullander...

Ain't that neat? Another Scrabble word!

WordWorker

#47955 11/17/01 10:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
just to take this topic down a notch (revenge? possibly...),
what do you folks call those plastic, fast-food utensils that are a combo-spoon-and-fork. sfork? spork? foon??

actually®, the "official" name seems to be spork, but I *so prefer sfork....

http://www.spork.org/

#47956 11/17/01 11:09 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Imagine Frederick the Great's father threatening to disown him for being so effeminate as to use a fork. Real men used a small sword or something. I eat my peas with honey.......

#47957 11/18/01 01:41 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Three blind mice, a new politically correct version:
"A triumvirate of murine rodents totally in pursuit of an agriculturalist's uxorial adjunct."

Uh, dr. bill, I think you are in for a flaying. helen and I, at least, would surely not accept that the uxor is a mere adjunct.

The talmudists posed the question, "Why did God specifically choose Adam's rib, and not some other part of the body, from which to create Eve?" Their answer: God wished it to be clear from the first that woman is not above man and not below him, but rather beside him.

#47958 11/18/01 01:50 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Goblet -- there's a bountiful cup
Tankard -- and another
Tumbler -- and another
Ladle -- that's a generous scoop
Tines -- far gentler in sound than their sharp jabs suggest
Gravy boat -- highly caloric liquid transport

and, tsuwm, that swork, spork, foon site was the strangest to follow through its maze..

#47959 11/18/01 01:56 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
God wished it to be clear from the first that woman is not
above man and not below him, but rather beside him.

Good stuff, Keiva! Now tell us about Lilith.

Now, back to the kitchen: I like the sound of demi-tasse, and the sound, taste, and sight of molasses.

#47960 11/18/01 09:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Spatula always sounded especially melodic to me. I love the way the sound rolls off the tongue. Perfectly in synch with a kitchen ambiance! (maybe we should make that in sink)
Spatula from Late Latin, by the way.

#47961 11/18/01 09:57 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
`I suppose everybody knows that molasses is what's left over after crystallizing sugar from the crushed cane.In the early days sugar was very expensive. In the 1600's when colonists in Connecticut wanted help from Massachusetts to fight Indians, the governor of Massachusetts got Roger Williams to negotiate for a contingent of Rhode Island Indians to go to Connecticut to act as scouts and ambush preventers. The top chief of the Rhode Island Indians agreed to provide the men if he got a present of a pound of sugar. So even molasses must have been expensive. It was a favorite ingredient of home remedies administered in the Spring. And the old dark brown molasses tastes like medicine to me. For making cookies, the Barbados light brown molasses is far nicer.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and until the late 1800 or so, when large high pressure evaporators came on line, cyrstalized sugar was a large lump, usually shaped as a rounded cone (see sugar loaf mountain, Brazil) and there were large shears (sugar shears or scissors) for cutting of pieces, which then got pounded, to make fine crystals..

according to Michael Pollan in Botany of Desire many people made an effort to abstain from cane sugar, since it was a product of slavery-- and stayed with other sweetners.. Honey, maple syrup, barley (malt) sugar (or syrup) apple or other fruit juices, and in the last days before US Civil war, corn syrups.

(abstaining from cane sugar was common in both US and UK)
molasses is a great sourse of Iron.. added to a smoothy its a great suppliment.
2 tablespoons provide 50% of daily iron requirement(adults) .. and its a lot easier to get kids to swallow molasses than liver!

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
And beware "sugar free" labels. Often, if you read ingredients, there may not be sugar, but there will be corn syrup, which is just as bad for diabetics.

To add to the cauldronucopia, there's ramekins, sometimes ramequins, those small baking dishes. Also, oyster forks, favorite utensils for the Walrus and the Carpenter.

WW

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
moving a bit from the kitchen, WW comment on cauldronucopia got me thinking about a caul.. we have some nurses, (and spouses of nurses..) do children really get born with a caul'sl around their heads?

M-W10th doesn't show any connection between Cauld-ron (with cauld- going back to a root meaning to warm) and Caul... is there one?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, personally, the food-related word which has the most musical sound to me is restaurant. It hints of good food and no bloody cooking on my part!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Coming late to this thread, I find that many of my favourite words - ramekin, ladle, spatula - have already been mentioned:

But I also love the warm promise of hob
and the excitement of casserole

and the mystery (to me) of skillet

It is not a word in use over here, and I didn't even find out exactly what it meant until fairly recently, but it always held a promise of good, satifying FOOD!!!

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Rhuby: And now that you know what a skillet is, see if you can guess what a "spider" is. It is closely related.
Aw, shucks. My dictionary has it, but maybe yours doesn't. It was originally a frying pan with three legs about three inches long, which could be used over coals of fire in hearth.

And I'll bet you never saw a pimento paddle. Fred Allen told about getting a solid gold one for Christmas. Just what the well bred tidy type gourmet needs to tuck any pimento herniating of of his olive back where it belongs.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
at the other end of the scale in size from a pimento paddle is a peel-- (M-W10th 3rd meaning of peel)

pizza lover's lovers know a peel-- as do bread bakers.. 5 foot one are common in NY pizzarias, but some bakeries have 8 and 10 foot ones.. and watching the bakers use a long peel--its an art in it self!

#47969 11/20/01 07:33 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Yes, the spelling is correct, even if we write it in just one word.
Do you know that the correct traslation is not "crescent moon", but "half moon"?

You reminded me a saying
luna crescente, gobba a ponente
luna calante, gobba a levante

crescent moon, hump ( looking) west
decrescent moon, hump (looking)east.

But it works just in the northern emisphere!

#47970 11/20/01 09:05 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
emanuela: Many thanks for...

una crescente, gobba a ponente
luna calante, gobba a levante

I heard this expression about 35 years ago--one time. I regretted weeks later not having written it down. Over the years I have kept an eye open in hopes that it would one day fall my way again. Today it has fallen with a sweet cadence. I probably would have posed the question here on the WAD board, but you've come through serendipitously.

How do you pronounce it? If you have a moment to spell it out, I would be very grateful. I'll go ahead and take a jab at it, and mebbe you could correct where needed, hopefully not every single syllable: (ay = long a)

OON-ah cray-CHAYN-tay, GAHB-bah ah poh-NAYN-tay
LOO-nah cah-LAHN-tay, GAHB-bah ah lay-VAHN-tay

Best regards,
MM MezzaMoon, WW upside-down

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the castle! (I wanted to post this on the Castle Rock thread, but it looked pretty dead...so I'll post it here.)

We know epicureans, but I'd not seen these words till tonight reading through some dictionaries. Can't remember where I found them...

Epulary (a.) Of or pertaining to a feast or banquet.
Epulation (n.) A feasting or feast; banquet.

Now these are great Scrabble words if you can get away with playing pul, the basic monetary unit of Afghanistan, or pula, the basic monetary unit of Botswana. Not sure how many puls or pulas you'd have to pay in either country for an epulation.... detest math; every day is a good day because I'm not in a math class

DubDub

#47972 11/21/01 04:39 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I also am coming late to this thread, so not much left to rhapsodize about. I do like the expression 'ricer' used most often, altho not exclusively, for potatoes. (I believe it can also be used for spaetzle.)

There are some words for food which I like to hear as much as I like to eat. In place of our clumpy English word 'eggplant', the French have 'aubergine' and the Italians 'melanzana'. The pasta which we call 'bowties' is 'farfalle' (butterflies) in Italian. That reminds me of one of my favorite Italian words (which has nothing to do with the subject at hand, but I have to mention it) 'pipistrella', the word for 'bat' (the kind that flies around). I have a theory that if we had as beautiful a word for the creature, it would not have such a bad rep. Come to think of it, you might get children to eat eggplant if you called it aubergine.

#47973 11/21/01 11:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Said the fork to the spoon, "Who was that ladle I saw you with last night?"

"That was no ladle, that was my knife."

TEd
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
pizza lover's lovers know a peel--

nice one! _ I know the thing you mean but had never heard the name for it; thank you, of troy.

It occurs to me that one of our local bakeries, Bell's, makes pizzas;

so I suppose the instrument they use to remove them from the oven is a peel of Bell's!

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Rhuby--

And those who study the rhythmic and clanging peel of Bell's, are cam-panologists?

WordWrencher

#47976 11/21/01 03:53 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Spatula is one of those words primed for a stock split. Now defined as "a small implement having a broad, flat, flexible blade that is used to mix, spread, or lift material," http://www.bartleby.com/61/2/S0610200.html, the term now (currently, at this point in time, in the present moment) encompasses what have become two distinct tools: the rigid, horizontal spatula used to lift; and the flexible, vertical spatula used to scrape. Nominations are now open for distinct terms for these two tools.

#47977 11/21/01 03:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Spatula Clark; didn't she record Downtown time back way back?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And Rhu dear-- the technical name for "pizza ovens"-- when you go to a restaurant supple store is "a peel oven" pizza's might be the most common use for a this type of oven.. but it's not a pizza oven.

I think its door size and depth that make it so.. i remember once going to a restoration village, and the bee hive oven was deep, but had a very small door.. and they had a long pole with a hook on one end to to snag the hot pots, and drag them to the front of the oven.. a peel would not have fit throught the relatively small door.

#47979 11/21/01 07:25 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
mezzaluna: the correct translation is not "crescent moon", but "half moon"
As to crescent moons, we have intriguing entemology of the "croissant" As stated by the aptly-named Charles Paniti:
http://trivial.homestead.com/Panati1.html: Next time you indulge in a croissant with your coffee,
consider this: It's not French--it originated in Austria. The croissant would never have been invented had it not been for some serious bloodshed. It commemorated the 1863 defense of Vienna against invading Turkish troops. What's more, you are committing a kind of oral aggression when you eat it because the crescent shape stands for the similar symbol on the Turkish flag. In the act of eating you are thus devouring someone's enemy. Now put down that bloody piece of bread before you do any more harm.

Note: the web site is an paraphrase of Panati. As I recall, the croissant was not just "commeration": rather, an inventive baker ingeniously seized commercial opportunity in the defeat of a turkish siege.

#47980 11/21/01 07:48 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Count Spatula prefers the rigid one over the flexible; says he gets better leverage on his lovely indi-victuals.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ah the bit i heard was, the turks where defeted because the planned invations was foiled by the early rising bakers..who realized the turks where invading the city in the dead of night. the bakers raised the alarm and roused the city and the army. so it is fitting that bread is used to comemorate the battle.

actually, this is very close to being very politacal. for many moslems, this battle is part of a turning point-- it marks a time when they began to lose their place in the modern world.. this battle lost, the french in eygpt, and they were unable to roust the french.. it was the english who finally did.. but now a once proud people, made into colonies of the european powers they saw them selves in opposition too.. from the moslem point of view, there is a direct line from the battle for vienna, to the WTC destruction. i don't want to be in the position of treating moslems as enemies, but i have been trying to learn why it is they hate me, so very, very much.. i don't agree with them, and the current leaders play pick and chose with the facts to arive at why we are the great satan.. but i am beginning to have some understanding.

#47982 11/21/01 10:37 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, Consuelo answered that haunting question I've had for years related to the moon, and croissants will never be the same with this new little bit of Turkish historical perspective...

But I've another question related to a story. A friend of mine once made a pastry that he shaped like a three-cornered hat. It had a filling of raisins or some other dried fruit. I cannot remember either the name of the pastry or the historical story associated with the baking of these little hats. I just remember that they're baked once a year to commemorate something that happened during a period in which (I suppose) three-cornered-hats were worn. It was a delicious pastry--too bad only served annually.

Does this ring a bell at all?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

Histoire :

L´origine de cet article de viennoiserie remonte à l´époque où les Turcs assiégeaient la capitale de
l´Autriche (1683).

Une nuit les boulangers de Vienne ont entendu les sabots des ennemis, et ils ont donné l´alarme, ce
qui a permis de repousser l´assaut.

Lorsque les Ottomans ont été vaincus, Jean III Sobieski accordait aux boulangers le privilège de
fabriquer une pâtisserie qui immortaliserait l´événement.

C´est ainsi qu´est né le „Hörnchen" (petite corne en Allemand), allusion au croissant qui orne
l´étendard turc.

Marie-Antoinette arrivant d´Autriche, l´introduisit à la cour de France en 1770.

Une autre tradition attribue l´invention du croissant à un certain Kolschitsky, cafetier viennois,
d´origine polonaise.

En récompense de son courage pendant le siège, il aurait reçu des sacs de café pris à l´ennemi. Il
aurait alors eu l´idée de servir ce café accompagné d´une pâtisserie en forme de croissant.

Dear Keiva: I thought it unlikely that the invasion of Austria by Turks was in 1863. It was in 1683.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
wwh, you quote:

Une nuit les boulangers de Vienne ont entendu les sabots des ennemis, et ils ont donné l´alarme, ce
qui a permis de repousser l´assaut.

The bakers heard the boots of the enemies. Here's a cross-thread reference to "Footnotes," oui? Quite literal, in fact, au militaire...

Boulanger is a word that promises of of puffed pastry and rising breads in the way it comes out of your mouth...

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The old quibbler does it again. Sabots usually means wooden shoes, but I never heard of the Turks wearing them. I doubt that anybody wore sabots if they could afford leather shoes. And an army would not be able to march very far or very fast in sabots. It must have been a trick to keep them from falling off your feet, and very easy to get terrible blisters and calluses.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
wwh: Don't 'cha think "sabots" here is being used loosely? Whatever the Turks were wearing, the sound of shoes was audible to the bakers. Maybe Turkish taffy was stuck to the soles of whatever they wore and picked up debris in the road... Maybe this is really where the original Turkey Trot was heard....

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My dictionary does give as a second definition shoes of leather with thick wooden soles. I remember having seen very serviceable looking sandals worn in Near East. I can't think of any way of getting definite detail on what Turkish military footwear would have been in the sixteen hundreds. I'm glad I didn't have to do twenty-five mile hikes in wooden soled boots.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hmmmm....wwh, those thicken wooden soles would have made a threatening percussive sound to the ear of a boulanger. Think about the contrast: the rhythmic wooden pounding on the earth against the muffled rhythms of the bakers kneading soft dough...

#47989 11/22/01 04:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Gotcha, Sparteye. I remember when I was a kid we used to have a kithcen tool we called a spatula with a square rubber piece on the end for blending batter...something of a collectible now, I guess. And of course the fried food flippers were always called the same.
How' bout batterbat for the blender and flapjacker for the flipper? Just spur of the moment nominations!

#47990 11/22/01 04:39 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Witman: I do like your batterbat!

And something else that reminds me of is the dasher in the icecream maker--

You know if a dasher mixes something as lovely as icecream, just imagine what great sweet concoctions a dancer might be mixing up, and a prancer, a vixen, a comet, a cupid (love potion?), a donner (a donder in "Rudolph") and a blitzen....

Oh, a blitzen would have to be something to mix moonshine, I do believe. Peach moonshine is very good...or so I hear.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
dr. bill, you're quite right. The website has a typo; the book has the 1683 correct date.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
a pastry that he shaped like a three-cornered hat. It had a filling of raisins or some other dried fruit. I cannot remember either the name of the pastry or the historical story associated with the baking of these little hats.

Dub-dub, you're probably thinking of the hamentashen traditional served for the jewish Purim holiday. Purim, a time for heavy-duty revelry and partying, celebrates the events told in the biblical book of Esther. (By the way, is any other book of the bible named for a woman?)

recipies: http://jewishappleseed.org/apple/hamnrecp.htm
Purim overview: http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday9.htm

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
It is clear that you lost the first L.

But I have no tools to answer. I have almost no idea HOW you pronounce your lines - and I was wondering if there is a way different from audio files for explaining a pronounciation - if you do not know BEFORE a correspondence between the sounds in two languages.

Anyway, I suspect that I would understand your sentence pronounced as you wrote, but I would feel a strong american accent. This is because we do not pronounce "e" as a long a, but more as "e" in "pen".

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keiva: There's also the Book of Ruth...there's a lovely art song by a composer I've long forgotten based on the Book of Ruth, "Whither Thou Goest, There Will I follow."

Hamentashen sounds like the pastry I was thinking of--I'll check your links.

WW

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Emanuela,

I did my best with those pronunciations and I apologize that they're still indecipherable. But I'm very happy to have the lines at least. My daughter's taking Italian in Ithaca, so I'll send the lines up to her after Thanksgiving to see whether she may be of some help.

We have pasta makers and pasta machines here. What do you call those in Italian? I'm sure you have a more mellifluous name for them than we.

Best regards,
WW

#47996 11/23/01 02:07 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Getting back to the subject at hand, utensils:

chopsticks
garlic press
cheese slicer
cheese grater
potato peeler
shiskobob skewers
in fact, any kind of skewers
Brunswick stew paddle (looks like something that could row a boat)
Forman grill
waffle iron
salt cellar (may have mentioned that one)
Ronco Bass-O-Matic, seen on Saturday Night Live
pepper mill
mixing bowls
blender
pastry bag
melon scoop
and all other scoops (flour, sugar, et al)
sugar shaker
flour sifter
rolling pin
cutting board
candy molds, in fact, any kind of molds
butter dish
butter press
butter churn
seltzer bottle
ice tray
bundt pan
cookie sheet
pizza cutter (great for cutting French toast)
egg separator
egg poacher
butter knife
toothpick
meat tenderizer
nutcracker, various types
cookie jar
crumbcloth
tea towel
butter paddle
pastry press
pasta maker

Oh, and by the way, the mentioning of the bakers v. the Turks battle reminded my brother of a great culinary battle fought in the US Civil War: The Battle of Five Forks.

Feast regards,
DubDub

#47997 11/23/01 02:11 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
WW, I belive the book of Ruth did not make it into the bible when the offical "inclusion list" was made, but is rather part of the Apocrypha.

#47998 11/23/01 02:26 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keiva, this is most likely not a definitive link, but a quick search on Google produced this list of Old Testament apocrypha and pseudoapocrypha:

1 Esdras
1 Maccabees
2 Esdras (a.k.a 4 Ezra)
2 Maccabees

http://wesley.nnu.edu/noncanon/apocrypha.htm

...still wondering however.

Best regards,
DubDub

#47999 11/23/01 02:44 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva and WW: here is a URL to a very readable book about Ruth. Truly a heartwarming story I had completely forgotten. I am grateful to you both.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13276a.htm (WW:see what Yahoo search box can do?)

#48000 11/23/01 02:58 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks for the link, wwh.

Keiva, here's some more I've Googled about the apocrypha:

"Apocrypha
Pronounced As: pokrif [Gr.,=hidden things], term signifying a collection of early Jewish writings excluded from the canon of the Hebrew scriptures. It is not clear why the term was chosen. The Apocrypha include the following books and parts of books: First and Second Esdras; Tobit; Judith; the Additions to Esther; Wisdom of Solomon; Sirach (also called Ecclesiasticus); Baruch; the Letter of Jeremiah (in Baruch); parts of Daniel (the Prayer of Azariah and the Song of the Three Young Men; see also Bel and the Dragon and Susanna 1); First and Second Maccabees; the Prayer of Manasses (see Manasseh)."

http://www.encyclopedia.com/articlesnew/00627.html

Now what does this have to do with the culinary arts? Well, Ruth did gather all that grain... I remember having read that her mother-in-law's name meant "Bitter."

On another tangent, jmh told us about the electric frother. That's a great culinary item along with a capuccino maker.

Best regards, (you'd think I couldn't bear to think of anything related to cuisine after today's bellybuster...)
WeightWeight

#48001 11/23/01 06:24 AM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
No no, it is not your fault, but mine.

About pasta: nothing melliflous, just macchine per la pasta.
But the good housewife (NOT ME) is able to make pasta by hand, very quickly indeed, and from a ball of "impasto"= flour+water is able to make a large very subtle disc, by using a long wooden cilinder=mattarello.
When I was I child it was usual to make pasta in the house, but now almost no one does, nor has this skill.

#48002 11/23/01 12:00 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks, Emanuela, for matterello, a truly lovely word I'll commit to memory.

I tried a search on Google for ["matterello" pasta] and found numerous entries. However, I found no photographs. Emanuela, if you read this thread again, what is the Italian word for photograph? I'll Google ["matterello" pasta+photograph(in Italian)]and should be able to pull up a link with a picture. The translate feature on Google helped a lot in reading many recipes in which the use of the matterello was used. Also, in just searching matterello without pasta, numerous sites about an Italian city, Matterello, came up.

Best regards,
WW

#48003 11/23/01 04:18 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I found a picture searching for "matterello + foto".
Try http://www.marmotecnica.com/tagli.jpg
but that matterello is not the most common type. The simplest is just a wooden cylinder.
Both mattarello and matterello are used.

#48004 11/24/01 12:55 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Emanuela,

Thanks for the photograph. What I saw appeared to be a rolling pin. I've saved the photograph to my desktop photographs. The flour with the egg pool (I think they must have been eggs) speaks of promise, good things to come, anticipation... I wonder whether there's a word that describes that image of flour with egg. It merits one.

An aside, I saw a Fellini film years and years ago that had a lot of food preparation in it. It was one of the most delicious films I've ever seen in terms of the sight of foods to be prepared. There was a scene in which a kitchen table held many peppers--it was a feast of red and green for the eyes .

Oh, and here's a thread cross-stitch, a word from Mrs. Byrne I left on tsuwm's Fuzzle thread, but is appropriate here, too:

yill-caup n. -- an ale cup or mug.

Best regards,
WW

#48005 12/01/01 04:48 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Sorry for bringing this back up, but I thought it fitting to lick the platter clean on the thread with tsuwm's "cattilate," Jack Sprat and all that on wwwttttwwwddd,,,whud evuh....

Also, I heard a Groucho Marx joke this morning that I will now butcher:

Marx flirting (times, they have a-changed...) with a woman: "I can imagine seeing you in a kitchen bending over a hot oven......
....only I can't see the oven...."

The Platter has now been licked,
DubDub

#48006 12/01/01 05:14 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
At my table, plates were never cattilated, they were dogilated, though not by a potlicker hound.

PS: Dear tsuwm: you caught me. My only defence is to bear my troubles like a man, and blame them on a woman. I copied WW, having forgotten your valued wwftd.

#48007 12/01/01 06:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
catillate - if we're going to revive these old gems it seems critical to get the spelling right.

#48008 12/01/01 10:43 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I apparently have a problem with double letters...colander, catillate. Bet I got 'em right that time, not to mention cr...crysalis???? Good grief. There's goes still another spelling bee...

But I can spell hippopotamus

Oh, I better put in a word to keep with the spirit of this should-be dead thread:

Ice bucket. By the way, isn't there a name for those old-fashioned buckets with a handle sticking up on the side--more like an arm than a handle? And, speaking of handles, (not thread related), did you know a bail is the metal handle on a pail?

In the spirit of edification,
WW

#48009 12/03/01 03:20 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I know I'm late additing to this but here's an Italian kitchen tool that's hard to find in North America (though not as much anymore): "passatutto" or "macina legumi". The only English reference I've found is "food mill".

OK, I found a picture: http://www.applesource.com/foodmill.html

We use it to pass the tomatoes through; it pushes all the flesh through but leaves the seeds behind. I don't know how you would make good tomato sauce without it.

Both the mezzaluna and the passatutto were fun kitchen tools to get to use (with parental supervision, at least for the mezzaluna) when we were small.

#48010 12/03/01 10:26 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Speaking of passatutto for the tomato, whaddabout ballet? Isn't there some baletic term like: "passez pieds" below the tutu?

With mezzalunas and passatuttos (whatever the plural is), an Italian kitchen automatically sounds more interesting than one with knives and presses...

But for herbs and spices, we do have mortars and pestles. Pestle is a great word to say: pestle, pestle, pestle. I feel better already. Sorry for pestling you!

Dub

#48011 12/04/01 06:36 AM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
These are the Italian plurals, depending on the form of the singular
Since mezzaluna= half moon, the plural is mezzelune = half moons .

Passatutto doesn't change. Its literal meaning is Passa tutto = ( tool to) mill everything . Here passare is to mill, but the idea is that everything over the tool passes under the tool, grounded.

Anyway, to clean a passatutto is such an hard thing to do.. I hate it.

#48012 12/11/01 01:01 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
There may be some cauldron and gang terms for kitchen accoutrements of the season....

For making that Christmas plum pudding, you have to store it in a pudding bag for a month.

Also, the wassail bowl...

Any others?

WW

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith