Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hmmmm....wwh, those thicken wooden soles would have made a threatening percussive sound to the ear of a boulanger. Think about the contrast: the rhythmic wooden pounding on the earth against the muffled rhythms of the bakers kneading soft dough...

#47989 11/22/01 04:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Gotcha, Sparteye. I remember when I was a kid we used to have a kithcen tool we called a spatula with a square rubber piece on the end for blending batter...something of a collectible now, I guess. And of course the fried food flippers were always called the same.
How' bout batterbat for the blender and flapjacker for the flipper? Just spur of the moment nominations!

#47990 11/22/01 04:39 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Witman: I do like your batterbat!

And something else that reminds me of is the dasher in the icecream maker--

You know if a dasher mixes something as lovely as icecream, just imagine what great sweet concoctions a dancer might be mixing up, and a prancer, a vixen, a comet, a cupid (love potion?), a donner (a donder in "Rudolph") and a blitzen....

Oh, a blitzen would have to be something to mix moonshine, I do believe. Peach moonshine is very good...or so I hear.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
dr. bill, you're quite right. The website has a typo; the book has the 1683 correct date.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
a pastry that he shaped like a three-cornered hat. It had a filling of raisins or some other dried fruit. I cannot remember either the name of the pastry or the historical story associated with the baking of these little hats.

Dub-dub, you're probably thinking of the hamentashen traditional served for the jewish Purim holiday. Purim, a time for heavy-duty revelry and partying, celebrates the events told in the biblical book of Esther. (By the way, is any other book of the bible named for a woman?)

recipies: http://jewishappleseed.org/apple/hamnrecp.htm
Purim overview: http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday9.htm

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
It is clear that you lost the first L.

But I have no tools to answer. I have almost no idea HOW you pronounce your lines - and I was wondering if there is a way different from audio files for explaining a pronounciation - if you do not know BEFORE a correspondence between the sounds in two languages.

Anyway, I suspect that I would understand your sentence pronounced as you wrote, but I would feel a strong american accent. This is because we do not pronounce "e" as a long a, but more as "e" in "pen".

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keiva: There's also the Book of Ruth...there's a lovely art song by a composer I've long forgotten based on the Book of Ruth, "Whither Thou Goest, There Will I follow."

Hamentashen sounds like the pastry I was thinking of--I'll check your links.

WW

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Emanuela,

I did my best with those pronunciations and I apologize that they're still indecipherable. But I'm very happy to have the lines at least. My daughter's taking Italian in Ithaca, so I'll send the lines up to her after Thanksgiving to see whether she may be of some help.

We have pasta makers and pasta machines here. What do you call those in Italian? I'm sure you have a more mellifluous name for them than we.

Best regards,
WW

#47996 11/23/01 02:07 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Getting back to the subject at hand, utensils:

chopsticks
garlic press
cheese slicer
cheese grater
potato peeler
shiskobob skewers
in fact, any kind of skewers
Brunswick stew paddle (looks like something that could row a boat)
Forman grill
waffle iron
salt cellar (may have mentioned that one)
Ronco Bass-O-Matic, seen on Saturday Night Live
pepper mill
mixing bowls
blender
pastry bag
melon scoop
and all other scoops (flour, sugar, et al)
sugar shaker
flour sifter
rolling pin
cutting board
candy molds, in fact, any kind of molds
butter dish
butter press
butter churn
seltzer bottle
ice tray
bundt pan
cookie sheet
pizza cutter (great for cutting French toast)
egg separator
egg poacher
butter knife
toothpick
meat tenderizer
nutcracker, various types
cookie jar
crumbcloth
tea towel
butter paddle
pastry press
pasta maker

Oh, and by the way, the mentioning of the bakers v. the Turks battle reminded my brother of a great culinary battle fought in the US Civil War: The Battle of Five Forks.

Feast regards,
DubDub

#47997 11/23/01 02:11 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
WW, I belive the book of Ruth did not make it into the bible when the offical "inclusion list" was made, but is rather part of the Apocrypha.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 880 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith