Carpal Tunnel
W
Goblet -- there's a bountiful cup
Tankard -- and another
Tumbler -- and another
Ladle -- that's a generous scoop
Tines -- far gentler in sound than their sharp jabs suggest
Gravy boat -- highly caloric liquid transport

and, tsuwm, that swork, spork, foon site was the strangest to follow through its maze..

#47959 11/18/01 01:56 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
God wished it to be clear from the first that woman is not
above man and not below him, but rather beside him.

Good stuff, Keiva! Now tell us about Lilith.

Now, back to the kitchen: I like the sound of demi-tasse, and the sound, taste, and sight of molasses.

#47960 11/18/01 09:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Spatula always sounded especially melodic to me. I love the way the sound rolls off the tongue. Perfectly in synch with a kitchen ambiance! (maybe we should make that in sink)
Spatula from Late Latin, by the way.

#47961 11/18/01 09:57 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
`I suppose everybody knows that molasses is what's left over after crystallizing sugar from the crushed cane.In the early days sugar was very expensive. In the 1600's when colonists in Connecticut wanted help from Massachusetts to fight Indians, the governor of Massachusetts got Roger Williams to negotiate for a contingent of Rhode Island Indians to go to Connecticut to act as scouts and ambush preventers. The top chief of the Rhode Island Indians agreed to provide the men if he got a present of a pound of sugar. So even molasses must have been expensive. It was a favorite ingredient of home remedies administered in the Spring. And the old dark brown molasses tastes like medicine to me. For making cookies, the Barbados light brown molasses is far nicer.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and until the late 1800 or so, when large high pressure evaporators came on line, cyrstalized sugar was a large lump, usually shaped as a rounded cone (see sugar loaf mountain, Brazil) and there were large shears (sugar shears or scissors) for cutting of pieces, which then got pounded, to make fine crystals..

according to Michael Pollan in Botany of Desire many people made an effort to abstain from cane sugar, since it was a product of slavery-- and stayed with other sweetners.. Honey, maple syrup, barley (malt) sugar (or syrup) apple or other fruit juices, and in the last days before US Civil war, corn syrups.

(abstaining from cane sugar was common in both US and UK)
molasses is a great sourse of Iron.. added to a smoothy its a great suppliment.
2 tablespoons provide 50% of daily iron requirement(adults) .. and its a lot easier to get kids to swallow molasses than liver!

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
And beware "sugar free" labels. Often, if you read ingredients, there may not be sugar, but there will be corn syrup, which is just as bad for diabetics.

To add to the cauldronucopia, there's ramekins, sometimes ramequins, those small baking dishes. Also, oyster forks, favorite utensils for the Walrus and the Carpenter.

WW

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
moving a bit from the kitchen, WW comment on cauldronucopia got me thinking about a caul.. we have some nurses, (and spouses of nurses..) do children really get born with a caul'sl around their heads?

M-W10th doesn't show any connection between Cauld-ron (with cauld- going back to a root meaning to warm) and Caul... is there one?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, personally, the food-related word which has the most musical sound to me is restaurant. It hints of good food and no bloody cooking on my part!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Coming late to this thread, I find that many of my favourite words - ramekin, ladle, spatula - have already been mentioned:

But I also love the warm promise of hob
and the excitement of casserole

and the mystery (to me) of skillet

It is not a word in use over here, and I didn't even find out exactly what it meant until fairly recently, but it always held a promise of good, satifying FOOD!!!

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Rhuby: And now that you know what a skillet is, see if you can guess what a "spider" is. It is closely related.
Aw, shucks. My dictionary has it, but maybe yours doesn't. It was originally a frying pan with three legs about three inches long, which could be used over coals of fire in hearth.

And I'll bet you never saw a pimento paddle. Fred Allen told about getting a solid gold one for Christmas. Just what the well bred tidy type gourmet needs to tuck any pimento herniating of of his olive back where it belongs.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith