Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#47948 11/17/01 06:42 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
There are some beautiful-sounding words associated with the culinary arts.

Cauldron is a personal favorite, both for sound and the images of bountiful, bubbling things being prepared.

Also, the mezza luna (hope spelling is correct), this cutting implement's being a crescent moon with a handle on each end.

And then there's the colander--I edited out the superfluous "l," thanks to my friend, wwh--the speckled holes through which liquid drains.

Cauldron, colander, mezza luna...and many more. I'm curious about the objects we find in our kitchens that ring with a sound that is pleasurable to contemplate along with their sometimes interesting purposes.

I must add the runcible spoon from The Owl and the Pussycat, which was a fanciful spoon non-existent at the time, but which you may now purchase as a sort of pickle knife, tined with curving, spoonlike tines.

Any others that come to mind?

WW

#47949 11/17/01 07:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...are some beautiful-sounding words... You and I could "go on" all day about what sounds beautiful, even though your initial choices seem to be *questionable...

A potatoe MASHER brings out all the images of hard work and preparation cooking can be...

A SOUP SPOON kinda makes me salivate in anticipation of the sound of slurping...

... an egg WHISK is quite onomatapoetic, as well.

#47950 11/17/01 07:54 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I also like épergne, the stacked levels of usually three plates on a central post. I once went to a tea in which the hostess had filled each plate (actually, they were more like bowls) with sugar and had put cones similar to canolli into the sugar--charming.

Salt cellars are cool...
Finger bowls are rare, but precious to think about...
Salvers stacked high with roast beef are succulent to think about...
Toby mugs are totally useless, but fun to say...
The groaning board sounds like where I'd like to be...
And waffle irons always waffle and never waffle... (Why does waffle mean waffle when the waffle iron turns out something of such predetermined pattern?)
Tea eggs are laid by Chinese chefs...
Carving knife has a good enough sound to put into a nursery rhyme...
Also, Polly put the kettle on...
Which brings in a tea cozy...
And tea tray...

I'd love to learn some more rare ones, however, like the mezza luna. I hope I'll have grandchilren one day to take out the mezza luna one night for slicing celery for ruby salad--then out to look at the moon...

WW

#47951 11/17/01 08:36 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Cauldrons are for cooking missionaries whole.And (forgive me)
my colander has only one "l". I expect to pay for that impertinence. I did not expect to get off so easily.

Three blind mice, a new politically correct version:

A triumvirate of murine rodents totally devoid of ophthalmic acuity was observed in a state of rapid locomotion in pursuit of an agriculturalist's uxorial adjunct. The aforesaid adjunct then performed a triple caudectomy utilizing an acutely honed bladed instrument generally used for subdivision of edible tissue.

#47952 11/17/01 08:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
or how about making music in the kitchen on a mandoline? never could figure out the relationship between a slicer and musical instrument.
or baster.. how does it relate to quick sewing? and why are fancy double boilers called bain maries?

The answers to these questions and more can be found... can they be found?

#47953 11/17/01 09:05 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
ETYMOLOGY:French, from Medieval Latin balneum Mariae, bath of Maria, probably after Maria, an early alchemist.

Dear of troy: thanks for teaching me a new word. I have seen many cut fingers from the gadget, but never heard the name of it. Mandoline. And all these years I was ignorant enough to call it a slicer.

#47954 11/17/01 09:27 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Impertinence, indeed! wwh, I thank you for the correction! You've saved me a challenge in Scrabble, which is, of course, the point of visiting WAD wegulawy...

But I did liu, just in case, and I found a synonym for colander (see, I'm a good student!) that has two ll's:

cullander...

Ain't that neat? Another Scrabble word!

WordWorker

#47955 11/17/01 10:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
just to take this topic down a notch (revenge? possibly...),
what do you folks call those plastic, fast-food utensils that are a combo-spoon-and-fork. sfork? spork? foon??

actually®, the "official" name seems to be spork, but I *so prefer sfork....

http://www.spork.org/

#47956 11/17/01 11:09 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Imagine Frederick the Great's father threatening to disown him for being so effeminate as to use a fork. Real men used a small sword or something. I eat my peas with honey.......

#47957 11/18/01 01:41 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Three blind mice, a new politically correct version:
"A triumvirate of murine rodents totally in pursuit of an agriculturalist's uxorial adjunct."

Uh, dr. bill, I think you are in for a flaying. helen and I, at least, would surely not accept that the uxor is a mere adjunct.

The talmudists posed the question, "Why did God specifically choose Adam's rib, and not some other part of the body, from which to create Eve?" Their answer: God wished it to be clear from the first that woman is not above man and not below him, but rather beside him.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 771 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith