Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
#47473 11/18/01 03:39 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Plu, your Saliency, I will defer to your correction and heretofore will do as bidden. I offer you a salty dog (with its tail tucked between its legs) as a consalition.

No salt salts like morte tongue's salt salts

DubDub

P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
No salt salts like morte tongue's salt salts
Your selection is selubrious. I couldn't have salted it better myself. Morton might have something to say about it, however. He may think your phrasing is selacious, but he cannot accuse you of taking his name in vain. For you have taken his name, but not in vain.
P.S. Morton may think you have poured wounds on his salt, but where I come from, it is only fair comment. "Windsor Salt" may not pour when it rains, but it reigns supreme ... amongst people who fancy their salt, of course. Personally, I am not one of them, wwh. I abstain from salt altogether as I am told that we get more than enough of it in our regular diet and too much is not good for one's blood pressure. If this sounds like a seditious thing for a selebrity to say, wwh, I am sorry. But surely one can savor a thing without tasting it ... just as one can have fond memories of a thing which is "only a memory".

#47475 11/18/01 08:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Mama's little baby loves shortnin', shortnin',
Mama's little baby loves shortnin' thread..."

#47476 11/18/01 08:51 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
Your wish has come true.
P.S.That is the best YART I have ever seen thrown around here, bar none, and it deserves appropriate recognition. In fact, this is a YART of the highest art! (We ALL should take YART lessons.)

#47477 11/18/01 10:24 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
A YART thrown with force can add to the score,
but a YART thrown with art can settle the score.
Plutarch falls on his sword.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear plutarch: your local salt sellers should complain to EPA about Morton ad suggesting halide pollution is something to laugh about. That brat girl ought be severely punished for spilling so much sodium chloride for so many years.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A tangent on salt--not that we adhere to tangential thinking here. Egad!

wwh, isn't it true that people with very low blood pressure benefit by a slight increase in sodium? Mine runs at about 60/90, not that I'm asking for free medical advice or anything like that...

WW

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: I am eminently unqualified to give medical advice. I have been retired for about twenty five years, and have made no effort to keep up, and have forgotten a lot. There is a lot of evidence that salt restriction is very beneficial in most forms of hypertension. I am unsure what the blood pressures you give may be caused by. But I would hope you have a good doctor and take his advice. But you have given me something to do. I am pleasantly surprised by the amount and quality of medical information on the Net, so long as you totally avoid the alternative medical idiots. Internet, here I come.

#47481 11/19/01 12:06 AM
C
stranger
stranger
C
Dear Wordwind: I put my foot in my mouth on your "Pronunciation" thread earlier today, and I am just stopping by to apologize officially. I am sometimes confused with the General who leads your war effort. That is certainly unfair to him. For one thing, he has a masterful command of all 26 letters of the alphabet while there are only 6 letters in my little squadron (and one of them is AWOL most of the time). Furthermore, I can't even string a single word together, apart from the acronym "iou" which is something of a liability. So, I offer my abject apologies to the real General, as well as to you and anyone who visited your thread before I was able to make my retreat from my dim-witted pun. Before I return to my duties in the alphabet, may I explain that altho I come from a country which supports the American war effort fully, my country isn't on the front-lines as you are, and we haven't got any Generals at all. In fact, our military capability is about as limited as my vocabulary. I know the rest of the alphabet will expect me to run the gauntlet so I must be running off. For whatever its worth, I think all posters are created equally as well. We have had a few dust-ups in the alphabet just like the ones I have seen here at AWADtalk. Actually my cousin George wrote a book about it called "Alphabet Farm". Anyway, we solved the problem by electing a few capital letters at the upper end of the alphabet to protect those at the lower end. You don't have a whole lot of friends to turn to when you're at the bottom. The ones in between can pretty much fend for themselves. They don't feel like strangers. Of course, that's not really any of my business and I've got problems enough of my own right now.

#47482 11/19/01 12:20 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear General Vowell:

I must admit I haven't paid much attention to the pronunciation thread. When the front lines started discussing aunts and ants, I decided this battle sounded more like a Sunday picnic, so I shipped myself back to the Serengeti to visit my old water horse friends. tsuwm tried to teach me how to improve my usage of thetical, but I became so excited about seeing the springboks, wildebeests, elephants (with their genuine elephant ears for flapping in the wind for ready perusal), giraffes, and (oh, stop, my beating heart) hippopotami, that I didn't notice anything you'd said on the pronunciation thread.

IOU a look there, General, on the thread, but far be in from me to criticize much from my vantage point. Keep in mind: I am a southernly-blowing Wordwind and have the turbulent accent to prove it!

Best regards,
Sgt. DubDub

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 598 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith