Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#45196 10/23/01 12:57 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva: One fox does not a pack make.

#45197 10/23/01 01:03 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#45198 10/23/01 03:39 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Dear Keiva: One fox does not a pack make.
Dear dr. bill: We're agreed that your post titled "Packs of Dogs" was erroneous in the title's first word as well as in its last. But Flirt took great umbrage at the latter.
BTW, no number of foxes constitutes a "pack"; the venereal term is, I believe, "a skulk of foxes".
BTW#2: As a matter of grammar, should my last sentence have said "constitute" or "constitutes"?

#45199 10/23/01 03:44 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva: I was just answering of post by WW who chose subject words.

#45200 10/23/01 05:02 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

#45201 10/23/01 05:29 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva: "number" is singular therefore "constitutes".

Dear WW: No way could you skulk, nor even lurk. Your input is sincerely desired and appreciated.

#45202 10/23/01 06:16 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just dropped in while waiting for a return phone call and read this thread with interest!

1. The info on rod, staff and comfort gives the passage whole new meaning! Thank you.

2. Re Border Collies and herding : they will indeed herd just about anything that moves ... which is why it is not a good idea to have that breed in a setting where - lacking kids or sheep to herd - they will try to herd the cars that drive by the house! It's a hard-wired trait and a lot of beautiful border collies get hit by cars because thoughtless owners do not provide fenced areas. /rant

3. In my newspapering days I often worked on stories with our county's state Fish and Game Department wardens. The problem of dogs running in packs became *huge in the 1980s as more and more people moved to New hampshire. These newcomers were used to letting their family pets run free. Invariably the dogs formed packs and there are many documented cases of packs of "family pets" running down and killing animals, some even as large as fullgrown deer. I know, I have seen at least five deer that were killed by dog packs. It was hard to convince relocated city-folk that the friendly family dog, greeting their owners on the porch with a wagging tail upon the owner's return from work, was the same dog that had joined other neigborhood dogs, to "run down" and kill a young deer that same day! Sometimes the wardens could prove a recent kill by showing owners the blood matted around a pet's mouth. Sad to say, some owners became fearful and put good dogs down. It was not the dogs' fault.
Dogs that must be left alone should have an enclosed area with *shelter and *water in un-tipable container handy.
It was not until Roman times that dogs began to be fed by owners. Before that - for thousands of years- they were let loose to find and kill their food!
In recent years "leash laws" have cut down on the packs but it remains a problem in some rural locations.
In my neighborhood many *responsible pet owners pay for a service where someone comes one or twice, every day, to walk the dogs.

Now to cheer you all up (additions invited) here's a little doggy humor: with one Cat at the end

HOW MANY DOGS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?

*Golden Retriever : The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned-out bulb?

*Border Collie : Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.

*Dachshund : You know I can't reach that stupid lamp!

*Rottweiler : Make me.

*Labrador : Oh, me, me!!!! Pleeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I?

*Malamute : Let the Border Collie do it. You can feed me while he's busy.

*Bichon : Why do you think I let you take in that Labrador?

*Jack Russell Terrier : I'll just pop it in while I'm bouncing off the walls and furniture..

*Cocker Spaniel : Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.

*Doberman Pinscher : While it's dark, I'm going to sleep on the couch.

*Boxer : Who cares? I can still play with my squeaky toys in the dark.

*Mastiff : Mastiffs are NOT afraid of the dark.

*Chihuahua : Yo quiero Taco Bulb.

*Irish Wolfhound : Can somebody else do it? I've got this hangover.

*Pointer : I see it! There it is, there it is, right there.

*Greyhound : If it isn't moving, who cares?

*Australian Shepherd : First, I'll put all the light bulbs in a little circle...

*Old English Sheep Dog : Light bulb? I'm sorry, but I don't see a light bulb.

*Hound Dog : ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

*Cat : Dogs do not change light bulbs. People change light bulbs. So the question is: "How long will it be before I can expect light?"

#45203 10/23/01 10:52 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thanks, Wow. Those were great.

I'm telling them to Jeff right now.

#45204 10/24/01 06:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The golfers eat the grass? I always thought golfers were a bit odd, but I assumed they replaced the divots rather than ruminating them.

TEd
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith