About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
#43761 10/09/01 08:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie, I think you're being just a tad "ironic" here. But, just in case I have mistaken you here it is:

"tray" - the back end of a utility vehicle where you put everything. Flat bed.

"roo bars". Short for "kangaroo bars". Heavy duty tubing shield around the front of the vehicle to fend off kangaroos. Principally used for roos in the Strine. Used for show everywhere else ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#43762 10/09/01 10:21 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
my mother-in-law responded that while she may think of water as having a taste she does not believe that it has a flavor

Sounds like our kind of gal, xara! Hope you can get her on Board.

#43763 10/10/01 12:30 AM
old hand
old hand
Well steal MY thunder why don't you CapK!! P-)

I deliberately put those terms in to elicit such a response - and now I'm reduced to making an dumb, uninformative post.

(May as well get in a spot of Kiwi bashing to make it worthwhile).....Jest another example of NZ not being able to survive without Australia around to prop it up folks.

stales

#43764 10/10/01 12:30 AM
old hand
old hand
Well steal MY thunder why don't you CapK!! P-)

I deliberately put those terms in to elicit such a response - and now I'm reduced to making a dumb, uninformative post.

(May as well get in a spot of Kiwi bashing to make it worthwhile).....Jest another example of NZ not being able to survive without Australia around to prop it up folks.

stales

#43765 10/10/01 12:41 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
NZ not being able to survive without Australia around to prop it up
Note that stales is adopting MaxQ's geographic view as to which of the compass points constitutes "up".

#43766 10/10/01 02:09 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"tray" - the back end of a utility vehicle where you put everything. Flat bed.
Ahem--the flat part at the back of a utility vehicle is known, logically, as "the back". As in, "Put it in the back." Don't tell me: you say, "Put it in the tray". Trays are on the backs of airplane seats, or in your kitchen cabinet, and you serve or carry things on them.
Stales, you should have logged on earlier--I know you would
have told me true!

#43767 10/10/01 06:33 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>"roo bars". Short for "kangaroo bars". Heavy duty tubing shield around the front of the vehicle to fend off kangaroos. Principally used for roos in the Strine. Used for show everywhere else ...

Being deficient in the marsupial department we have "bull bars" in the UK. As few people in cities come up against many bulls in daily life, they became a little less fashionable when it was shown that they dramatically increased the injuries of a pedestrian involved in a collision with a car with bull bars fitted.

You might like this extract from Hansard, from when the matter was discussed in 1996 (it gives me very little confidence in the quality of debate in the upper house)!:
http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199697/ldhansrd/pdvn/nineties/text/60708-3.htm I'd missed the comma in the following phrase "Lord Tebbit of xenophobia" and thought it must be a spoof!

By the way, if you read down to where the National Curriculum is being discussed, my younger daughter is, at this very moment, studying the Battle of Hastings in a Scottish school. I'm still in recovery from having to do the "Scottish Wars of Independence" from the other side's point of view but then that's history for you!

#43768 10/10/01 11:18 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Ahem--the flat part at the back of a utility vehicle is known, logically, as "the back".
and what are the terms for the rear area of a station wagon, and for the shelf just behind the rear seats of a four-door coupe?

When the kids were little, we called the former part of our station wagon the "wayback". Later shortened this to "wabe" (pronounced with two syllables), in honor of Humpty Dumpty and Jabberwocky.

#43769 10/10/01 01:08 PM
old hand
old hand
The back of a station wagon is just that - the back! It gets the wanky wank name of "cargo area" in the glossy brochures. And Jackie - you DO put things IN the tray.

Roo bars tend to be known as Bull Bars in the outback - because there are bulls (and camels and horses and donkeys) to be avoided out there. Worked with a Canadian once who couldn't work out why we bothered with all this ironmongery on our vehicles - after all, "none of those guys is as big as a moose and we don't put those bars on our trucks in Canada". I think he had a good point!! Guess if you see a moose on the road you just kiss your ass (donkey?) goodbye.

The ledge behind the seats is the "package tray" in the eastern states of Oz and the "parcel shelf" in WA. Interestingly, there was a factory accessory for my 1964 restoration project known as a parcel shelf. Had me puzzled until I saw a photo - they bolted on underneath the glove box in front of the front seat passenger. Must've confused the Western Australians at the time!

Incidentally, what you US'ns call the trunk is what we call the boot.

By golly - we've come a long way from the taste of water on this one!! Sorry Xara.

stales

#43770 10/10/01 03:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
By golly - we've come a long way from the taste of water on this one!! Sorry Xara.
Yes, we see your crocodile tears. Pretty subtle dig, that.

The back of a station wagon is just that - the back! Exactly. Thank you. And, one puts things ON trays.
One puts things IN the back of the UV, the station wagon, or in the bed of a truck. [Throwing down the gauntlet e.]

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith