Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#43603 10/05/01 11:08 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Maybe you're right. Now I gotta go back and check it out. I'll get back to you.

IP

#43604 10/05/01 04:13 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
I think you're right, Bingley. It's the tricky sentence for me. Could wsieber assist?

<<Seiner Vorhersage zufolge können ab und zu Partikel den Ereignishorizont des Schwarzen Lochs überwinden und entkommen als Strahlung>>

"According to their prediction, a particle could occassionally escape [lit. "defeat"] the "phenomenal horizon" of the black hole and escape as radiation."

Thanks, Bing.

#43605 10/05/01 06:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
here's a link with a bit of a different take on the concept:
http://www.geocities.com/Sunjara/titledesc.html

now, for the veritable pelf of the Incas, who can tell me the significance of the 'blue event horizon'.

#43606 10/05/01 09:30 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
tsuwm,
thanks.

#43607 10/06/01 03:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the significance of the 'blue event horizon'.
Is it this, tsuwm?
what might happen if the Earth was sucked into black hole
http://mmcs.ed.ynu.ac.jp/~daiki/workshop/html/e_page01.html
==========================================================
Thanks for the links, guys. Rod, the math in yours is WAY beyond anything I ever took, but I still was able to get a good bit out of your link. Fractal theory was developed the year AFTER I got out of college, so I have never been taught it. I've read a little about it, but I think I should borrow a leaf from my sweet Max's book, and study it on my own.

#43608 10/06/01 03:44 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Here I shall show my complete confusion/ignorance of this matter but I have a few questions that you can perhaps answer.

Here is the note tsuwm sent us to (sorry to take up so much space but my questions relate to some things that are written):

An event horizon is the outer edge of a Black Hole--a region of space where gravity is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. Nobody really knows what is beyond the event horizon of a black hole; there are only theories.

Most scientists agree that any bold space traveler who sailed beyond an event horizon would be sucked into the black hole's "singularity," a point of infinite density and curvature of space-time where the laws of physics as we know them no longer apply. Some astrophysicists, such as Kip Thorne at the California Institute of Technology, postulate that, in special cases (such as in a rotating black hole), these singularties could be utilized as portals into other areas of our universe, or even other universes. The possibilities are truly infinite.[/]

Here goes....

a) if the hole is just blackness how do they know that there is light in there that is not escaping? If there is no light seeping out maybe there is no light at all.

b) how do they know the laws of physics do not apply inside black holes? No one or no probe has ever been in there to send back info.

c) if there are places where the laws of physics do not apply can they really be called laws?

d) how do they know the inside of a black hole is infinitely dense - again, we've never been and it could be something else completely PLUS if something is infinitely dense doesn't it follow that nothing could be sucked into it since well, it's too dense and there is no place.

e) Portals into other universes???? It sounds exotic, and wouldn't it be nice, but how did they come up with that?

I mean, why would they assume the far end of a black hole is not occuping same area of the universe as the near end?
For example, if I cross the St Hypolite tunnel in Montreal Québec, I go from Montreal to Longueuil in Québec, Canada. I don't wind up in China.

Why is that assumption being championed by so many scientists? Is it wishful thinking? Or does it have as much validity as someone advancing the theory that when someone goes through a black hole they come out being born on the other side as a new baby.

#43609 10/06/01 11:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The distance of the event horizon distance from a black hole, theoretical though it may seem, is actually calculable. Another name for it is the Schwartzchild Radius - which all objects which exert gravitational pull have exactly one and one only of.

If you want a fun- (and math-) filled five minutes, visit
http://208.218.135.74/top/blackHole.html

There are a lot of semi-mystical, science-fiction-y possible attributes attached to black holes. I have list of names in my little black book for people who I would choose to send to test for the existence of said attributes ...

If you want to know more, in a pop-science kind of way, I suggest you read Isaac Asimov's book on the subject which I believe was called "The Red Shift", but I could have the title and authors mixed up. And most of my books are still packed in cartons ... however, Isaac made it all quite approachable and understandable. Not one equation in the whole thing!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#43610 10/06/01 01:56 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
"Beyond the Blue Event Horizon" was the name of a science fiction novel by Frederick Pohl I read as a teenager, but I forget why it was blue, if indeed it was ever explained.

Bingley

Bingley
#43611 10/06/01 02:09 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
From Stephen Hawkings's "A Brief History of Time", page 111:

Since then the calculations have been repeated in a number of different forms by other people. They all confirm that black hole ought to emit particles and radiation as if it were a hot body with a temperature that depends only on the black hole's mass: the higher the mass, the lower the temperature.

How is it possible that a black hole appears to emit particles when we know that nothing can escape from within its event horizon?'

Bingley

Bingley
#43612 10/07/01 04:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bingley, I'm not sure whether How is it possible that a black hole appears to emit particles when we know that nothing can escape from within its event horizon? was part of your quote or your own comment.

However, if it was Hawking, I'd say that he's being contentious. He's stated a paradox and he's challenging other theorists to come up with an answer to it which may work. Clearly, if a black hole emits particles of any type then the second part of the statement is patently false. Things can escape above the event horizon. [Hmmm... -e]

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 738 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith