#43572 10/02/01 09:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The other day I read this thought:

"It has been said that the First World War was the chemists' war, because mustard gas and chlorine were employed for the first time, and that the Second World War was the physicists' war, because the atom bomb was detonated. Similarly, it has been argued that the Third World War would be the mathematicians' war, because mathematicians will have control over the next great weapon of war--information."

Two questions came to mind:

(1) I've always heard that WWII was largely decided by the success (or failure) of encryption and cryptology, particularly in relation to the UBoats. Any war historians out there care to offer his or her take on this?

(2) What criteria must be met for a war to be considered a *world war? Is there a quarum of participating countries that must be met?

#43573 10/02/01 09:17 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<criteria of world war

In the past, a world war has been one consuming most of Europe. Seems to me.

#43574 10/03/01 01:35 AM
J
old hand
old hand
J
In the past, a world war has been one consuming most of Europe

Thus there will probably never be anything defined as a world war anymore. The EU keeps Europe united and the UN keeps the world united. With most nations being or progressing towards being democracies there will most likely not be any huge disagreements that could split apart those unions.

This "war" won't be considered a world war because it's practically one sided. Everyone except a tiny band agree that terrorism is destible and there won't be much of a war. It'll probably just be a large scale UN police action, if even that.

#43575 10/03/01 11:54 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
there will probably never be anything defined as a world war anymore

I wish I was as sanguine as you are, Jazzo, about the possibility of mass exsanguination. Experience suggests to me that when we all lean towards one belief, the opposite tends to occur - never be surprised by the frequency of surprise!

My answer to the original question would be that World War is defined as war involving countries on every continent.

And tho' only an amateur historian, I would say the effect of codebreaking in WW2 was massive - Enigma was probably the major contribution to keeping supply lines open for the UK and therefore the European mainland - yet still not decisive. For example, US troops still took massive casualties in the Battle of the Bulge due to complete absence of prior warning of the German battle plans - so in this and other key episodes, what counted in determining the final outcome was the strength of purpose of the man prepared to die in the mud. Perhaps no intelligence or codebreaking system in the world can ever equal that effect, as the CIA are wondering to their cost.

#43576 10/03/01 12:03 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
and as an allied force to the main post, I disagree with the original quotation as a typical bit of post-facto pattern-making. If a simple formula were to suffice, it would surely be more realistic to say that WW1 was primarily a war of the static, dictated by the twin evil innovations of machine guns and barbed wire (which signalled the end of the horse in major human conflict), whilst the 2nd was a war of mobility, dictated by the innovations of aircraft, submarines, and tanks.

#43577 10/03/01 10:20 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
WW1 was primarily a war of the static, dictated by the twin evil innovations of machine guns and barbed wire (which signalled the end of the horse in major human conflict), whilst the 2nd was a war of mobility, dictated by the innovations of aircraft, submarines, and tanks.

And the third world war will be one of static mobility, using telecommunications to battle each other over intelligence.

#43578 10/04/01 01:53 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
And the third world war will be one of static mobility, using telecommunications to battle each other over intelligence.

And the fourth world war will be one of memory searching memory in vain for the trace of its embodiment.

#43579 10/05/01 12:43 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Cryptology did play a huge part in WWII, so maybe the mathematicians deserve some credit for that war as well.

Wasn't it Albert Einstein who said "I don't know what World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"?

#43580 10/05/01 01:02 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
the mathematicians deserve some credit

True then, I reckon. But now the architectificationists have taken over the asylum, this is more like how it will go:

"It looks like you are trying to obliterate humankind. Would you like to see the library of pre-defined templates?...erk. slwmf. prsxzctg...." ALERT: <<Error reading Drive Z: Abort / Retry / Fail?>>

#43581 10/06/01 12:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I tend to agree that the definition of "World War" is pretty much a non sequitur these days. By default, any war involving any two of the first-world countries or the two third-world countries with nuclear weapons will have effects far beyond the borders of those countries and, willy-nilly, those other countries will either be directly affected by or drawn into the conflict.

I believe that WWI and WWII were called "world wars" because the protagonists were not single countries but world-wide empires ...

In some sense, the original quotation was probably spot on. The major contributions that modern science had on both wars were definitely gas in WWI and the atomic bomb in WWII. Both changed the face of actual warfare forever. Now, of course, we also have biological warfare, so we can wrap it all up in a nice, tidy three-letter acronumb, BNC.

It seems unlikely to me that there will be a WWIII as such. Everyone has too much to lose to start a general conflict and no one can afford to sustain one anyway. And with the demise of the Warsaw Pact the conditions for one to begin seem to have disappeared. However, that's not to say that there won't be a conflict between two countries which will exhibit some of the characteristics of a global conflict if BNC is part of the arsenal used.

Does this make sense?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith