Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
#4354 07/26/00 03:05 PM
S
S
>>Sorry for the length of the post<<

No need to, JMike. I think it tied the thoughts of a few of the different threads together. Nice to see you posting.

#4355 07/26/00 03:59 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
jmike
wonderful ideas, and i see exactly what you mean.
ideas can fail because of too much sarcasm and conservatism.
when you put "white" and "coloured" in that context it's impossible not to feel what you feel!
and i think everyone should be careful as much as possible. but sometimes people aren't aware of the references they are inferring.
in these kinds of cases surely it's better to explain to them their "brick" than to fire them.

#4356 07/26/00 05:11 PM
J
stranger
stranger
J
Exactly, William. I do not advocate litigation, fines, or other punishment for using "wrong" words, especially when it is completely unintentional. There is a huge difference between ignorance and malice - the former can be readily fixed. I do think however that anything which makes us try to avoid *consciously* hurting anyone cannot be all bad.

#4357 07/27/00 12:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
JMike,
I don't recall opening my heart for you to read the words written on it, but you did. Love you too.

#4358 07/28/00 12:34 AM
B
addict
addict
B
tsuwm
>>if one is to use this medium to any extent there are some very basic and easy tools one can (should?) learn, for answering questions such as "what is the meaning of the word x" or "who was person y", and in the process avoid importuning others -- you don't even have to crack a book very often to Look It Up!<<

Jackie
>>I feel sure that a fair number of these questions come from people who have not found the original post that explains things<<

I have to say I asked someone privately what YCLIU meant, because I didn't know and I felt that in the context I came across it (on this board), I 'ought' to.

My behaviour here is exactly equivalent to my behaviour in the 'real' world. If someone uses a term I don't know and I feel comfortable, I ask. If someone uses a term I don't know and I don't feel comfortable asking, I ask someone I trust privately, or look it up - whichever is easier / faster.

I know more about words than about web resources to help me with words. I wouldn't know where to start looking up acronyms on the web, so it was easier to ask a person.

One option might be a links page to reference resources, so that anyone could check before posting a question. But reference resources aren't interactive and don't put a human spin on things the way a discussion board (or a private email) does. And one of the things I get out of this board is 'conversation'.

I think it's a shame that I felt unable to ask publicly what YCLIU meant. (I'm over it now I'm a journey(wo)man!)

Also, tsuwm, I reacted badly to your suggestion that asking a question like this was 'importuning'. I looked up 'importune' - 'unfit, troublesome, grievous; inopportune, untimely, unfit; persistent in solicitation; irksome through importunity.' I don't think asking about the meaning of a word or acronym on a board which serves to facilitate discussion about words and language fits any of those definitions!

#4359 07/28/00 05:14 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Thank you Bridget, I couldn't agree more. I could have gone to Onelook to look up YCLIU, but since I was here any way, why not ask in a forum about words?

I still think it is a rude response to a request for information, but now I know what it means I also realise the people who use it are the last people one should ask its meaning.

Bingley

Bingley
#4360 07/28/00 05:16 AM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
under the Miscellany category there was an on-line resource
thread where some helpful person listed some useful tools;
I think this link may provide a shortcut since the thread
is now several pages deep...

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=1268&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5

#4361 07/28/00 11:51 AM
P
addict
addict
P
and, while we're deciphering these acronyms, would some kind soul please let me know what LOL means?

#4362 07/28/00 12:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>some helpful person<<
IL'dIU. FYI: Information that comes across as "Here, you
blithering idiot" is not likely to be perceived as helpful.
I think in cases like that, the messenger rather kills the
message.

To repeat something that has been said several times in other threads, part of the problem may be due to the fact that we are using words on a screen. There is no possiblility of being able to see the giver of information
smiling in understanding, for example.

I do realize that those of you whose jobs or interests involve using this method of communicating all day every day have had to learn to shorten the time it takes you to
get your message across. I'm just trying to remind you
that what to you is merely an efficient time-saver can
appear to some people as something rather more negative than that.

I think this can be likened to the child who is told that
he is getting an immunization shot "because it will help
you". He may hear the words, but all that gets through
is the sting.

#4363 07/28/00 01:14 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
here's a funny thing: I don't recall anyone here actually advocating the use of this stuff (other than in the interests of saving time in olden days). HTH.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith