Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#42767 09/23/01 07:08 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
I know there are many products on the market that carry the name of the first one of its kind...Kleenex, Ketchup etc. thanks Bill, I edited my typo

I'm interested in products that have the name of their inventor...eg. it is thought by some that the sandwich got its name from the Earl of Sandwich. This now seems to have been discounted but you get the jist.

Caesarian section seems to be one. Legend has it that Caesar was the first to be born by this method, et voila it now carries his name.

Does anybody have any others?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't know what the Poloroid company made, before it made instant photo cameras, but they were alway Poloriod Land Cameras after Land (first name?) the man who invented the process.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Land's full name: Edwin Herbert Land. He invented the light polarizing filter.

As I boy, I was disppointed to discover there was no Polaroid underwater camera.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
no Polaroid underwater camera. Still true? IP?

Jacuzzi - the man who invented the bubbling jets bath!He has a lot to answer for!

HERSHEY bars.

Lea & Perrin Worcestershire sauce (ok, two guys)

Nathan's hot dogs (yum!)

Coleman's mustard, Cain's sweet pickle relish

I'm gonna' go have my dinner now.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WHat and nothing from Heinz? no pickles, relish, ketchup or beans?

but rather than family brands, i though we were looking for someone who lent their name to a product.. Singer--which for years was sewing machines.

#42772 09/23/01 10:14 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Teddy bears; Baby Ruth candy bars; Franklin stove; stetson hat; Listerine
Condom (inventor: the earl of condom, the knighted personal physician of the pleasure-loving King Charles II of England)

Cracker Jack ("Jack" being a slangy equivalent of "John Doe")

More to come by edit, I hope.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
BTW: Kleenex was not named for a person. During WWII, cotton being in short supply, the Kimberly Clark company developed a synthetic absorbant material (called Cellucotton; used in surgical dressings and gas masks). When the war ended they cast about for commercial applications to which their stockpiled material and productive plant could be turned. The first successful application was Kleenex (promoted as a disposable towel for cleaning off make-up; it was the customers who discovered the current usage); a later one was Kotex.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear belMarduk: I wonder if "Ketchum" is a typo for "Ketchup". The history of ketchup is interesting enough that below there is a URL about it. The first Kleenex appeared over seventy years ago, and I still remember what a blessing it was not to have to use sandpaper muslin on my abraded proboscis any more.
There is a URL to history of Cesarean Section, which says Julius was not born this way, but passed a law about it. You have to scroll down a ways.

http://www.i5ive.com/article.cfm/5676/42844

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/cesarean/cesarean_2.html

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Bill, kecap in Indonesian or Malay doesn't mean the red stuff you might dunk your french fries into, that's saus tomat. Kecap is what we could call soy sauce, and comes in two flavours asam (sour or savoury) and manis (sweet).

Bingley

Bingley
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 628 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith