Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
I propose this thread as a place to discuss any concerns members of the community may have concerning the substance and qualities of discussions on the board. While individual threads and clusters of threads tend to be self-regulating, objections as to tone and subject--among other things--may be common enough to merit some attention in their own right. In these times, especially, we need to be able to disagree clearly and strongly, but to avoid rancor. This is true, not only as concerns opinions about given a given topic, but what topics might be deemed appropriate altogether. Whatever any individual came here and found enough to stay--or return--all of us have in common an interest in language generally and, I think, in the variety of friendships and acquaintanceships that offer themselves to us. I can say unconditionally that I value all of you, each for what they bring here. I don't want to say more than that now. But, if anybody feels this thread might be of use in matters of concern in our discussions per se in the spirit of fellowship and optimism for fellowship, I look forward to reading your post[s].

#42277 09/21/01 03:01 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
May I respectfuly suggest that we always start a new thread to continue long dialogues, whenever we reach 99 posts?

If we did this as a matter of course (whoever was wanting to post #100 could do it) it would save the immense loading times that can be associated with too cumbersome muti-page threads in flat display.

of course, it would also imply that we should actually decamp to the new site together, TEd! ;)

#42278 09/21/01 03:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
start a new thread to continue long dialogues, whenever we reach 99 posts

whoever was wanting to post #100 could do it

it would also imply that we should actually decamp to the new site together

And that the flatliners notified the threadnodists that it was about time for it.

#42279 09/22/01 01:37 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Mav, inselpeter raises an issue far more important than "lenth", and his issue should not be hijacked.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
I have a problem. I did not know if I should write a personal message or if I should bring it in the open. As uncomfortable as this is, I want to say this in the open because it concerns the Board.

I am extremely uncomfortable with the numerous recent posts written up by one of our longstanding contributors, expressing strong political opinions. I am sure he feels totally justified.

I am not saying he is wrong, nor am I saying he is right. I simply feel that this Board is not the place to be voicing these thoughts or to vent so much.

I think that one of the reasons that this Board thrives with so many divergent personalities is that we have, by and large, decided to keep our pet hates to ourselves, unless they are word-related. I hope that everybody will see the advantages of continuing such a practice.

I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
General: as a first-personal step, *I will try not to be prolix. ;)

While this thread is no more mine than anyone's, as its originator I would like to suggest that the tone be kept as cordial as possible. I am not one to brush disagreements under the carpet, but I do believe in resolutions to them, where advisable. I cannot claim it my unbroken practice, but I do think it best to keep communication open and respectful. A degree of care--something all of us generally show--is advisable. Almost anything of value that can be said here can be said with neither anger nor censor. For myself, it has not always been easy being here, but I can say the trend has been the ups. -- Concerns of all kinds, large and small, have a place here.

I have found that standing on one's head is easier south of the Equator.

Good night.

#42282 09/22/01 03:10 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Max, thank you. Please be so good as to consider the post amended to replace "one" with "at least one". I had said, accurately, that I am upset by the particular posts from one such member. But you are quite right that question raised is more general.)

It would seem that the greater the number, the greater the problem (if any) posed thereby. Max, I would be most interested in your views on that problem.

#42284 09/22/01 12:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K:

I plead guilty to having posted many things with political opinions in the last ten days or so. In asking for a lenient sentence I will say only that so far as I can remember I was always responding to someone, never once starting a thread or subthread.

I don't think, though, that I have brought forth a pet hate to share with or perhaps more accurately inflict upon the citizens of this little community. If I have, I apologize unreservedly.

TEd

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Lord have mercy, you-all: this is old ground. Are we now reduced to disagreeing about how we disagree? I think I've said this before, but.    It is my belief that the attack on the 11th warrants negating, for the time being, my previous opposition to having political posts on a language bulletin board. There is a thread in Miscellany especially for that purpose, now (hint). I will say again that I have been nothing but impressed by the courtesy and consideration shown by all, right up to this very post.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith