Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The US Navy used to have a rank : Commodore. Discontinued sometime after WWII and, I heard, it caused some problems because it left a void between US military and other countries' military when the occasion called for officers of equal rank to meet and parlay.
Commodore ranked just above Captain and below "Admiral, lower half" (aka Rear Admiral) for staff officers.
So, how about countries other than US ... do you still have rank of Commodore?
I think the RAF has a rank air commodore between air group captain and air vice-marshall. Any others?

#42137 09/23/01 12:40 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wow:

Actually commodore is less of a separate rank than it is a separate billet. In the US Navy every military job is a billet, deriving I believe from an assigned berth, called a billet.

The flag ranks in the Navy are:

O (for officer) -7 Rear Admiral, lower half
O-8 Rear Admiral, upper half
O-9 Vice Admiral
O-10 Admiral.

At one time there were equal numbers of O-7s and O-8s, and they were divided literally into two groups, the lower and upper halves. I believe that is no longer the case, but I will check Monday at work (I work in the office of the Government that pays all the military, so these things are all pretty much second nature to me.

There were certain billets in the Navy that were Commodore billets, and O-7s assigned to them had the same rank, but were addressed as commoder, rather than admiral. Some time back I heard they had reinstated this courtesy title, but I've not run into one of them. They are in the combat side, I'm in the finance side.

The equivalent officers in the Army, AF and Marine Corps are brigadier general, major general, lieutenant general, and general, respectively. I heard of a major general who was at a cocktail party in DC where this sweet young thing kept addressing him as major. Finally he turned to her and said, "I am a major general, and I can only thank God that I'm not a rear admiral."

BTW, the next lower rank in the Navy is O-6, captain, but the commanding officer of any naval vessel regardless of rank is the captain of the ship and is so addressed, though he or she will wear only the rank attained (along with the pay for that rank.)

TdE

The walking fount of totally useless and boring information

TEd
#42138 09/23/01 12:52 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Totally Useless and Boring Information

Would this phrase be worthy of creating an acronym: TUBI?

#42139 09/23/01 03:22 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
ah, Max! I was expecting TEd to enter stage left, but you beat him to the pun(ch).
My sympathies, TEd. As our past president was wont say in southern accent, "Ah phel-ya pain".

#42141 09/23/01 03:43 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks TEd -- I went by the Goggle to a buncha sites ... where I didn't find any "commodore" listing.
A curtsy sent your way, for the useful information.

Send a PM if you get more, please?

#42142 09/24/01 04:26 AM
D
addict
addict
D
I'd been led to believe (somewhat contrary to logic, now that I consider it) that the British use of the v/f sound was an intentional alteration made out of hatred and disrespect for the French. I am, however, lacking any evidence to support such a theory, and think it's probably a load of [insert favourite load here].

#42143 09/26/01 09:55 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Here is a summary of comparative ranks.

It looks to my untrained eye as if a Commodore is a lower half of a rear admiral, it sounds very uncomfortable.
http://www.helsinki.fi/~degroot/anglomil.html

Googling tip for non-experts, like me: I tend to throw lots of words at the search engine (leave out the inverted commas). "Commodore" just gave me a load of old Commodore 64s, "Commodore UK" didn't fare much better. "Commodore Navy British" did a little better. Fishing around with "Commodore Compare ranks" gives some other options, eg http://www.toshiro.f2s.com/oob/site/data/india/ranks.html which gives ranks in India. So if your first attempt is too general you can fiddle around with the entry information to refine your search, without having to get too technical.

#42144 09/27/01 03:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
link to Bartleby is less than authoritative...A commissioned rank in the U.S. Army, Air Force, or Marine Corps

It is the American Heritage Dictionary.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As this miserable excuse remembers it, Commodore is still an extant rank (is that redundant?) in the US Navy. Onliest time you have any, however, is during time of war. In true Navy mishmash fashion the senior Captain in a group of ships (by whatever name that group might be known) would be called Commodore.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith