Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
B
old hand
old hand
B
>I never expected to be so pleased to have a military man in the role of Sec'ty of State,

Ha, ha! He wouldn't risk his own arse!
http://www.awolbush.com

But linguistically challenged, and a whore to the fossil fuel industry, he is.
Just for starters:
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=005Am3

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Isn't the Secretary of State Colin Powell, who was (still is?) a general?

Incidentally, how does the man himself pronounce his name? I seem to have heard several variations over the past few days, Colin with the same vowels as coffin, or the same as bowlin', and Powell to rhyme with towel, or like pole.

Bingley

Bingley
B
old hand
old hand
B
>I still think that the use of "war" in this context is actually attributing a status to bin Laden

... when all he is, is a SUSPECT. Not the slightest bit of evidence has been brought against this man. He may not be a saint, but then our southern friend Bush will hardly go down in history as a second Ghandi. Blame must always be attributed to someone, anyone... it must, in the public's eyes, become a struggle between 'good' and 'evil', then the war can begin.
If there isn't enough to hold against those targeted, then that can quickly be changed:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/jointchiefs_010501.html

I guess if all wage war in the name of God, then all will be together in hell.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<I still think that the use of "war" in this context is actually attributing a status to bin Laden>>

Dear Cap,

If you have convinced me of one thing, it is that I don't always understand you. I really couldn't understand, last night, what possible significance you attached to your distinction. In daylight, I see the wisdom of your remark. (As an aside, I would say my last night's response to you more reflects an urgency for the ridiculous; but I have to say, the Talmud of the Absurd has little relish, these days.)

Dear Beliyouth,

Thank you for your diligence. You, too, are right.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<I still think that the use of "war" in this context is actually attributing a status to bin Laden>>

Dear Cap,

If you have convinced me of one thing, it is that I don't always understand you. I really couldn't understand, last night, what possible significance you attached to your distinction. In daylight, I see the wisdom of your remark. (As an aside, I would say my last night's response to you more reflects an urgency for the ridiculous; but I have to say, the Talmud of the Absurd holds little relish, these days.)

Dear Beliyouth,

Thank you for your diligence. You, too, are right.

#41556 09/18/01 11:55 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
In today's Guardian Seumas Milne writes:

"Shock, rage and grief there has been aplenty. But any glimmer of recognition of why people might have been driven to carry out such atrocities, sacrificing their own lives in the process - or why the United States is hated with such bitterness, not only in Arab and Muslim countries, but across the developing world - seems almost entirely absent. Perhaps it is too much to hope that, as rescue workers struggle to pull firefighters from the rubble, any but a small minority might make the connection between what has been visited upon them and what their government has visited upon large parts of the world."

Full article link below:
[urlhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,551036,00.html [/url]

This is one outspoken Board member's comments:
----------------------------------------------
DoctorSpin - 03:17pm Sep 13, 2001
Awful loss of life, but nothing noteworthy compared to 500,000+ starved Iraqi children, deliberate creation of dictators and wars, trained & funded 'freedom fighters', trained & funded death squads, random missile strikes to get the President's sex life off the evening news, random missile strikes to mark the President's coming into office, Operation Desert The Kurds, blocking medical supplies unless they're exchanged for oil, etc. etc. etc.

AIUI, even Taliban / Bin Laden himself got the training/equipment push via the good ol' CIA. All to further US interests - if the people affected don't like it, well they can go and complain to a brick wall.

USA continually sides with Israel no matter what they get up to - whom I note took advantage of the media distraction to send more tanks in to expand its lebensraum. The US is also the world's largest arms dealer. (I wonder if they'll determine the knives' origin?)
And that's not even touching upon what happens off-camera, nor the cumulative effects of US-manipulated events elsewhere, e.g. Yugoslavia, US-backed IRA. And then there's the economic arena...
Those planes were like chickens, coming home to roost. Tasteless I know, but true.
In an ideal world, government/military would pause and ask themselves *why* they are despised and referred to as 'the great satan' by almost a third of the planet. Why children danced in the streets when this happened.

No prizes for predicting what will probably happen though. Operation TowelHead - The Video Game, fat military checks, flag-waving with near-lynching of any American who doesn't join in, half-cock job to 'preserve US interests in the region', making martyrs to the cause by addressing only the surface symptoms, some more civil liberties stamped on in the name of freedom [racial profiling, encryption backdoors, anyone?]. All that will happen will be the situation gets exacerbated. If they play their cards right, this might even start WWIII - that should help the Dow.

And we all know how much they would be concerned if this had happened in some distant unimportant country [e.g. Guyana, Angola, Britian] rather than NYC.

Saddam Hussein hit the nail on the head: 'The USA is reaping the thorns of its foreign policy'. He should know - the CIA put him where he is today.

http://www.counterpunch.org/

p.s. flamers etc. please note that this is in no way aimed toward the victims of this tradegy, nor is it justifying the attacks. It is Whitehouse policy and attitude that has caused this. On a governmental level, USA is not the shining-city-on-a-hill full of big-hearted boy scouts fighting 'EEEEEEVIIIIILLLL' that it claims to be. It has stirred shit for decades and it's just been splashed.
http://talk.guardian.co.uk/

#41557 09/18/01 01:02 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J

#41558 09/18/01 01:41 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J

#41559 09/18/01 01:55 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J

#41560 09/18/01 02:41 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
big job to do

1. Shut cabin door
2. Issue mace spray to f/attendants
3. Instigate automated fuel dump process to be triggered by ground control in emergency

Is that so difficult?

and now a word for our conspiracy theoreticians...

“US planned attack on Taleban in July…”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1550000/1550366.stm

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith