Carpal Tunnel
there's a map of lower Manhattan at this site
http://msnbc.com/news/627989_asp.htm

#41342 09/13/01 05:39 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Inselpeter - thank you for the painful descriptions and the good, beautiful thoughts.

Let us not visit more tragedy on our own. For that is who 'they' are. Us. Let the new theater of war finally begin with empathy.

I'd hope to have the strength of character to have such clarity in such a chaotic time, and I hope that the wonderful people of New York, and of the U.S., share your view.

#41343 09/13/01 05:48 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Thank Heavens, I just got an e-mail from two friends who live a block from the WTC. They just bought a loft there in June, and I'd been unable to reach them. They made it out as the second tower collapsed. Thank you, Inselpeter, for offering to try to reach them for me.

I'm reeling again. It's incredible how many times the enormity of this tragedy can come home to one - and I know we still don't know just how bad it really is.

#41344 09/13/01 06:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there is a local number that can give out names of everyone accounted for-- hyla, i am so glad you don't need it. i am sure it will be busy.. 1 212-447-2998. it won't be able to give you any more information except to say, yes, this person is a known survivor. many of the survivors are in shelters, with limited access to phones, (and no ability to get incoming calls)telephone phone traffic into an out of manhattan, or in out NYC is still spotty- you get busy circut signals. i can get on-line
because i have a local (queens) access #.

the building that is now crumbling, is across the street to the west of WTC.. the grey bar on tsumw map is a pedestrian bridge to the building.. these building took the brunt of the explosion.. they are new, curtain wall buildings, but many of the building on the east, south, or north side of WTC are older, masonary building-- and a masonary skyscraper, has a huge, physical mass, walls can be as thick as meter at the base.

and WTC is lower.. (elevation, maybe 15 feet about sea
level, but broadway is about 30, 40 feet above sea level, a steep enough difference that at place, just two blocks south of WTC have sets of stairs, not sidewalks.. (one building provides an escalator..)

my building, (30 stories, my office 26th) was "in line " of site (that is, i didn't have to look up ..) to see first crash site (100 floor) partly that is just perspective, but i guess, our 26th floor was even with 50 floor of WTC.

but Liberty plaza was built on land fill, and was even lower..

but the good news is, sonar is picking up 3 different 'tap" patterns.. so at least 3 survivers exist.. manybe more..

in looking at tsumw map, i work (well, make that used to work!) is just off the map, just north of city hall. tomorrow i will work at alternate work site, in NJ.

some of the images on the time (mag) site, show lobbies/atriums of building in WTC-- even at ground zero, there is still an atrium with a dozen trees standing..

this is an image about 1 block --2tenths of a mile from WTC
notice the cars, and benchs, and trees in the park are mostly undamaged, but covered with 2 to 3 inches of ash/dust.
http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/rescue2/3.html

#41345 09/13/01 09:56 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Helen,

I am so glad you survived and are back here. Everything is so much a daze. I will try to contact you soon.

Thank you, Hyla, for your generous remarks and kind spirit.

Thank all of you for all your expressions of caring. Believe me, every word is as heaven sent. It has meant a great deal to me that *all **all of you have been there. We are together.

With love,
IP

#41346 09/13/01 11:23 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Word today that The Republic of Ireland has set aside tomorrow Sept. 14 as a national day of prayer and condolence for USA. Only essential services operating.

B
old hand
old hand
B
I wish all innocent victims of the WTC attack the very best under the circumstances, and all the innocent victims of the imminent "YOU FUCK WITH US AT YOUR OWN PERIL" attacks by the U.S. my best wishes. Attacks by the Americans will serve only to further polarise the world's political and religious groups and will, like those in New York, sprend only terror and fear.
Those on both sides of the fence will have thus proven their collective disregard for the lessons taught by their purported religions - ONCE AGAIN!

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
belligerentyouth
Those on both sides of the fence will have thus proven their collective disregard for the lessons taught by their purported religions - ONCE AGAIN!

And on and on and on--

Hopelessness is what I feel.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I decided the post that used to be here belonged more to the remedy/response thread so I've moved it. Sorry if I've confused anyone.

Bingley

Bingley
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
their purported religions

Indeed® If you stacked up all the evil and inhumane deeds down the centuries, how many would be free of the taint of religious zeal? God must be really confused, being asked to fight himself in so many wars.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith