Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40108 08/30/01 06:23 AM
stales Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
This is moreso literary than word or phrase related - but I couldn't think of a better bunch to help me!

Indulge me a minute while I describe the scenario...

Up until recently I was a Executive Recruitment Consultant. Late last year I became aware of two things - (1) My company's office on the other side of the country were looking for a senior manager for one of their clients, (2) A very close friend was looking for a job. I spent a while wondering if I should tell him or if I should be selfish and not tell him. (My concern being that our 2 families would be separated by 2,500 miles if he got the job and they moved away.) Anyway, did the right thing and told him - and, sure 'nuff, he got the job.

When the time came for his departure (the rest of the family decided to see the school year out and move later), I wanted to present them with a leather bound version of a book which I was sure must exist....but couldn't establish whether it it did. I felt sure there was a Shakespearean or Theban play that dealt with what I'd gone through but, to this day, haven't found one. After a lot of research, I'm pretty sure that neither Shakespeare or Thebes can help me.

Hopefully you can see the theme......I had knowledge which, if I used it, could only bring sadness to me but great happiness to a dear friend.

Oh - and by the way, we all lived happily ever after. He returned after 6 months to a better job here, so his family never left!! Saved me the cost of an expensive gift!!

stales

#40109 08/30/01 10:26 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just to break the ice, realizing it is not a good fit, may I say I'm glad you did not pay the price of Sydney Carton, in A Tale of Two Cities.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith