Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#3873 03/01/01 08:57 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>And their colors

Maybe I don't understand the question. I can't remember any colours at school. I got a funny green sash for hockey once which they called "hockey colours" but the teacher didn't get round to getting any from the suppliers so I only had a "virtual" green sash. I think that the University of London had some purple colours for something but I don't remember seeing any team games whilst I was there.

#3874 03/01/01 09:36 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just so you'll know what an oddball I am, I never went to a college sporting event. I was always working on one or more jobs, and had neither money nor time for games. About three months before graduation, the head of the business office of the hospital where I worked the graveyard shift on the switchboard told me sadly, that because her godson, who worked the first half of the night was delicate, and a candidate for honors, I was going to have to work both shifts with no extra pay.I had no choice.

#3875 03/02/01 10:05 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
AS BeingCJ has said, it is much easier to be open here than face-to-face - so, here you are, the truth behind the RhubarbCommando's suave facade

I left school at the age of sixteen with five "O" levels - one of which was in woodwork. My teachers had more or less written me off as a dunce, albeit a well-meaning and co-operative one.
I started teaching adult literacy as a volunteer in 1976, and acquired a taste fort teaching - other teaching-type ssituations occurred over the years. So I decided to go for higher education in order to become a full-time Education Officer in the Trades Union movement.
Two years at Ruskin College, Oxford, at the age of 43-45, brought me a Diploma in Labour Studies, and a request from my personal tutor that i apply to attend University - which I had not even considered before. (Don't forget, I still thought of myself as a dunce)
Lancaster University, which has a good reputation for accepting mature students, gave me a place, where I duly obtained my BA in History with Politics as a minor (I wish now, that I had taken linguistics as minor - it would have been more interesting and more useful)
In my third year, one of my history tutors - who had also become a social friend - asked if I had applied for funding to do my PhD. Again, I hadn't even considered doing such a thing. He convinced me, became my supervisor ofr my thesis, and here I am, doing an academic administration job part time, plus whatever teaching I can get on a freelance basis.
As a Doctor of Philosophy I am far too expensive for anyone to hire me to do what I'm trained for and best at.

But, on the bright side, I retire in just under four years time - I only have it worked out in days, so far - eighteen months time, I'll work it out in minutes!

Oh - and "boxers" - I take the Victor Sylvester approach to comfort of the lower extremities!

#3876 03/02/01 03:01 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I can't remember any colours at school.
--------------------------------------------
What ? No Old School Tie ?
wow

#3877 03/02/01 03:19 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My dear non-sports-aware of Troy:

Ah, grasshopper, you have so much to learn!

Michigan State is the defending national champion in basketball, having won the NCAA tournament in April 2000. They just clinched a share of this season's Big Ten regular season title, making it a record-tying four titles in a row. They are the two-time defending Big Ten tournament champs, and have a decent chance to repeat as national champs this year. They made it to the semi-finals of the nationals in 1999 as well. MSU is currently ranked third in the country in hoops.

GO SPARTANS!

As for my Buckeyes, they can't match MSU's record, but nobody can. OSU's team is currently in third place in the Big Ten, and tied for the regular season championship last year. The Buckeyes made it to the semi-finals of the NCAAs in 1999. They are doing well at this end of the regular season, having now adjusted nicely to the loss of their outstanding backcourt from last year.

GO BUCKEYES!

Aaaannnndddd - MSU's hockey team is currently #1 in the nation. Woohoo!

As to you non-US'ns and the confusion about school colors: most colleges in the US have sports programs associated with them. The teams are comprised of students of the schools, and they adopt nicknames and mascots and team colors. The team uniforms are made of those colors, and the cheerleaders and fans wear them as well. You can buy signs, shirts, hats, statues, and whatever else you can think of (yes, including toilet seats) in your school's colors and logos. MSU stuff is green and white, and has Sparty or a green block S on it. OSU's stuff is scarlet and gray, and their nickname is Buckeyes (a nut, believe it or not).

College sports is a very big business. MSU's football stadium seats 72,000, and 60 miles away Michigan's stadium seats 105,000 and they are both sold out on Saturdays in the fall. MSU's basketball arena (15,000) and hockey rink (7,000) routinely sell out on the same night. This time of year, you can find multiple games on TV on any night.

Here's a web page with MSU sports info and links, which will show you examples of the sports mascots and colors:

http://msuspartans.fansonly.com/

#3878 03/02/01 03:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>(a nut, believe it or not).

oh, we believe, sparteye.

#3879 03/02/01 03:53 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
OK, I'm in.

Briefs.

AB Johns Hopkins University 1961. Humanities major, English concentration.
The "Bluejays" colors are blue and black.

Hopkins does not engage in basketball, swimming, or croquet (the specialty of St. Johns College in Annapolis MD). They play football and baseball, but never do much with them. However, they are one of the great powerhouses of the world in lacrosse; they have, in the last 10 years, become a big deal in fencing, which is since my time and I wouldn't know anything about it but for a recent article in the alumni magazine. In spite of the fact that I live only about 4 miles from the University, and have done for the last 37 years, I have not set foot on campus more than 10 times since I graduated. I may attend the reunion this year, since there are special events for our class for our 40th anniversary.

#3880 03/02/01 06:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, man, would you-all please quit telling the...the...um...undergarments you wear???

#3881 03/02/01 06:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh, man, would you-all please quit telling the...the...um...undergarments you wear???

*whew*... i got that just in time....

[stops mid-post]

#3882 03/02/01 06:48 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
the "...um..."
Come now, Jackie, O puissant goddess to whom the gutter is not entirely unknown, even the fair Helen gave her preference. (We didn't really expect it to be boxers).
Those who want to avoid can write it like this. Otherwise, we may be forced to conclude they don't wear anything! There are some persons, of both sexes, who have that preference.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith