Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#3863 02/07/01 11:15 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
It depends on the day of the week and time of the day as to what I can see from my window. At work, apart from the large curatin, dating from the late sixties, with psychedelic designs on it, and a clock in the shape of a fat cat with a wagging tail, I can see through a window to my right onto a fairly busy paved area with a yellowinsh brick wall the other side. There are evergreesn trees in aplot within my line of sight. There is a sporadic flow of students and colleagues going past, with people waving to me - even those that I know, occasionally! It is easy to keep my eyes away from the outside, so I often don't know what the weather is doing outside. This is more often than not an advantage, in the wet and windy climate of Northern Emgland.

At other times, when I am at home, I can see across the small and untidy plot which is my garden to a grassy field inhabited by an old horse. Well, it looks old - I'm no expeert where hores are concerned. The hedges round the field are alive with birds - a situation that one of my cats (Chaos by name and nature!) is trying to alter, damn his claws. Mostly they are starlings and sparrows, with a resident robin and wren and occasional blue-tits and great-tits. There is a noisy colony of magpies nearby, who often visit and sit on the roof of my house calling out what sounds suspiciously like rude comments on all they see.

Beyond the field, past and estate of houses, I can see the low hills that separate my house from the nearby estuary of the river Lune. These are grassy, and inhabited by cows and sheep, who shelter from sun and rain under a clump of trees at the top.
"A pleasanter spot you ne'er did spy . . ." (Browning)

And all this a ten minute bus-ride from the vast metropolis of Lancaster!

#3864 02/07/01 05:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
From my office above Wellington's main street I can see ... buildings. Immediately across the road and nine stories down, a new building is beginning to take shape. When completed it will be 23 stories tall and will incorporate the facade of the building it replaces. The facade, nine stories tall itself, is supported by a large network of girders and reinforcing. It's also only about 20 metres from the western Pacific fault line - the building I'm in actually straddles it! If I look over my left shoulder I can see down a street to the harbour, which is currently cerulean blue under summer sunshine.

At home, from my office desk I can see a stark country scene but it's a picture, not the real thing. My office window looks out at the cabbage trees and punga trees growing on the bank which slopes up to the street. But from our lounge windows we can see from the Pacific Ocean and Wellington Harbour across the airport, Wellington's Oriental Bay and the CBD in the distance to the bush-clad slopes of Horokiwi and the Belmont Regional Park below and across the Korokoro Valley from us - we're 500 feet above sea-level.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#3865 02/07/01 06:29 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
From my window, right now, in my office, well, I see the wall across the hall. And a handsome heavy moss green it is too . I know, it is odd to have a window on an inside office. I guess they wanted to make me feel the office was bigger somehow.

Well no matter, I am more often on the road so out of my car window (mobile office) I see anything and everything. I see the signs of changing seasons in nature, in how people dress and the colour of the sunlight. I see beautiful countryside on my long hauls and cityscape for my city clients. I drive through blizzards (exciting and beautiful) and perfectly white through all my windows.

My favorite part is coming back from out of town at night. I can see the reflection of the city lights from miles away. I am going home. As I get closer I can see the whole downtown core, millions of lights, looking like so many jewels. On the mountain I see the top of St Joseph's Oratory calling the faithful home. It is all quite beautiful...I always feel like this is MY city. It makes me proud.

#3866 03/01/01 04:46 PM
S
S
My office looks out across the parking lot to a bluff which faces the Mississippi River. There are piles of snow pushed thigh high and higher all around. We have already had 55 inches so far with one more snow month to go.
I work in Minnesota but actually live on the Wisconsin side. That bluff also views the Mississippi River but my windows look down into the river valley that feeds the mighty Miss. Eagles are the bird watchers favorite here. Two years ago in spring I counted 13 eaglets soaring right near our bluff. I've also seen pileated wood peckers, hummingbirds, crows or ravens or blackbirds, (I don't know which they are but I don't like them anyway so it doesn't matter) hawks, a barn owl and a snowy owl, mourning doves, herons, cardinals, chickadees, blue birds, blue jays, pheasants, a prairie chicken (yesterday) swallows, bats, red fox, coyote, skunk, opossum, deer, raccoon, gophers, and groundhog on the bluff, some but not all in my yard, some as road kill. My two labs keep everything out including the wild turkeys which always seem to just barely make it off the ground in time.
satin

#3867 03/01/01 04:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ohmygoodness...

i hadn't really read this thread, but since there's a new posting i scrolled up a bit, and was startled to see this, from Rhubarb Commando:

"Well, it looks old - I'm no expeert where hores are concerned. "

and if you were, you wouldn't admit it?

#3868 03/01/01 05:16 PM
addict
addict
From my ground-floor study room I can see a car park. Beyond that is another car park. Beyond that is a row of small houses, but in between the second car park and the houses is a long row of tall trees. I can see the houses now because the trees have no leaves, but in the summer it is like a wall of greenery screening the houses from sight. And above it all is a great big stretch of the sky, as there are no high buildings anywhere around. Yes, ok... the sky is often cloudy, but it is also often very beautiful.

From now on, following Aenigma's suggestion, I shall spell "ok" as "Okamoto".

#3869 03/01/01 05:25 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I still regret that so many of us are willing to give a lot of details about the view from their window, but are so stingy with details about themselves that would help others know how to respond to their posts. And I very much enjoy the private messages from those who have sent them to me.

#3870 03/01/01 08:14 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
OK, Bill. You start: boxers or briefs?

What would you like to know?

I KNOW: Let's start with colleges.

I have a BA in business administration from Michigan State University, 1978, and a JD from Ohio State University, 1981. GO (green and white) SPARTANS! GO (scarlet and gray) BUCKEYES!

And guys, this question came up on a sports board today: will you all please post the nicknames/mascots of your schools. And their colors.

(Sorry for the rah-rah, but its almost the High Holy Days of basketball, and I'm psyched!)

#3871 03/01/01 08:33 PM
B
B
I KNOW: Let's start with colleges.

Ok I'm game. I've discovered I'm much more open here than in person. BS CIS DeVry'94 MBA '00 Keller -- no sports teams in this University system.

CJ

CJ
#3872 03/01/01 08:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Alas-- i have no view most of the time--in a cubicle.
I rarely post from home-- i have been meaning to up grade hardware.. (486!) but somehow, something more important comes up...
I do have access to windows at work.. and can look uptown Manhattan.. and see Empire state building Chrysler building, CityCorp center.. and many other landmarks.. My boss's conference room looks down town, towards Twin towers.. Unfortunately, the Brooklyn Bridge is hidden from site by the NY Municiple building! .

Briefs-- and my unknown college (not a university) Audrey Cohen College, Purple and White.

Oh and which of your two schools is the one that figures so much in basketball? [ducking from the bricks emoticon!] i'm not a much of a sports fan...

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith