Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Xara,here's a thought.
With Visa or American Express card in hand, place a call to Harrod's, Knightsbridge, London, and ask for book department, order and charge. They mail. Do not belive there is any customs duty on books but you might want to check.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Xara:

I can't help you with the Harry Potter books, English version, but I can tell you something that only two people in the world know: the name of the final Harry Potter book. Ms Knowling is an old friend of mine, and she has agreed that since Harry will be married with children in the final book it only makes sense to call it "Harry, Pater Familias."

TEd

NO part of the foregoing is true except the first phrase.

TEd
B
old hand
old hand
B
"miles under the school"

I grew up in a metric world, but we still use Imperial exaggerations.

It's miles and miles from here to home!
I drank gallons of water this afternoon.
That guy must be ten feet tall!
I just dragged out tons of garbage.
A one-ton truck.

etc. So (since we were a British colony and must have metrified around the same time, it was mid-1960's here), it is possible that Harry Potter did say "miles".

old hand
old hand
TEd:

You gave yourself away when you referred to the author as Ms. Knowling (some old friend if you've got her last name wrong!)... besides, your reputation precedes you.

FB

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>You gave yourself away when you referred to the author as Ms. Knowling (some old friend if you've got her last name wrong!)... besides, your reputation precedes you

Hey, I said no part of the foregoing is true. Rowling? Something like that.

TEd
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Now, now, Fiberbabe and TEd, let us have no Rowling.

#38101 08/14/01 02:03 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

J
old hand
old hand
J
Having bought a few things online, I would probably trust using a credit card online more than over the phone. Amazon.com and the other online book retailers have privacy policies and it's all automated. No human involvement. Over the phone you have the chance of the person being untrustworthy and using your info. The chances are slim, but you never know. Online you know that there's no middle man.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I would probably trust using a credit card online more than over the phone. Amazon.com and the other online book retailers have privacy policies and it's all automated. No human involvement. Over the phone you have the chance of the person being untrustworthy and using your info. The chances are slim, but you never know. Online you know that there's no middle man.
~~~`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And there you have a perfect illustration of the Generation Chasm!
I'd rather take a chance on one person than put info into any internet vehicle, no matter how secure they say it is! Ha!
Or, should my paranoia becoming especially active I would ask total cost and send a written order and a return address that is an anonymous Postal Box or an office address enclosing either a Bank check or International Money Order in payment ...

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Oh, and this brings up the question, how different are the British and North American versions of Harry Potter anyway?

I've been wondering recently not just about the Harry Potter books but whether other British books are changed much in American editions. I noticed that "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" has been changed to "Corelli's Mandolin" for some reason (they don't have captains in the US???? [furrowed brow emoticon]). Does anybody know of other changes that have been made to British books are across the Atlantic?

Bingley

Bingley
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 738 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith