Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
X
xara Offline OP
OP Offline
X
maverick! How kind of you!

Are your $'s US dollars or UK pounds?
Oh How exciting! I weighed 4 average sized hardcover books and got about 7 lb (3kg) on my bathroom scale. I can handle paying about $31 for shipping.

R
R
Hi Xara,

Why don't you give Waterstone's a try - www.waterstones.co.uk - I had a quick look and they seem to have the full selection in paperback, hardback and audio tape.

If you don't want to trust your credit card to the site, then look up the contact details for their Gower St, London store (it's the biggest one). I'm sure they'd happily do transactions over the phone.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear xara: Sounds like good old Maverick is going to solve your problem for you. But, since you asked:

If Barnes and Noble has a UK site I can't find it.

I looked, and Barnes and Noble is affiliated with Bertelsmann (BOL) and they do accept several credit cards and ship overseas. You could get details from service@bol.com

old hand
old hand
Xara -

I found a hardcover UK First Edition of Goblet of Fire for $75 at http://www.powells.com. They're the first place I'd trust in executing secure e-commerce ~ never a problem. The big question is whether you want to go for the US rare book price and get the bonus cache for the same price as the shipping from the Isles!

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
My $ are USn greenbacks and my £ are overvalued segments of a Euro

Let me know if you want me to do anything, xara
but don't tell Jackie, it's got to be kept a complete secret!
- and if so, which titles.

addict
addict
Re: ordering from Waterstones in London

A friend of mine in the US did exactly this. He called them up and paid for his books over the phone. I am not sure whether they can ship them themselves, because this friend knew somebody who was travelling from here to the US and he got this person to pick them up and post them once they were in the US. You could simply ask.

Oh, and this brings up the question, how different are the British and North American versions of Harry Potter anyway?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Very in ways that matter to this board!
lots of words have been changed-- and these words sometimes change the whole character of the scene--

one i remember reading about was "crumpets" to "english muffins"-- and there are so many things wrong with this change.. i suppose you can buy store baked crumpets.. but similar to biscuits in US-- crumpets are fast, and easy to make--and when made well, heavenly.. english muffins, well are nice, but hardly compare.. besides, english muffins get toasted.. and are more often thought of as a breakfast food.. crumpets are closer to what is sometime sold in US bakeries and coffee shops as "tea scone"-- which i always think are way to rich and cake like -- compared to the scones my nana made..
this is one one change... and look what it does-- multiply by a 1000 over the course of the series.. its like reading 2 different sets of books...

B
old hand
old hand
B
how different are the British and North American versions of Harry Potter anyway?

I've heard (on the radio) that they replaced British words and phrases with American equivalents. Things like "cellotape" are changed to "Scotch™ Tape", because apparently the publishers think American children are too stupid to work out those things for themselves. That is an insult to American children, as far as I am concerned. I read plenty of British stories as a kid, and when there was an odd word usage, I either looked it up or guessed it from context. God forbid the children be allowed to THINK while they're reading. [scowl]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i suppose you can buy store baked crumpets... ot witters on.

there you go again.... <eg>
-joe friday, g.p.*

*reagan patrol

X
xara Offline OP
OP Offline
X
>>>how different are the British and North American versions<<<

They're different enough that the title of the first book is different. The US version is called The Sorceror's Stone, the British The Philosopher's Stone.

One thing in particular that I want to know about is the use of units. Harry frequently states that they must be "miles under the school" in hidden caves and tunnels. Kilometers seems like a much more reasonable statement than miles. I'm curious what the original text says. There were other things that just struck me as a bit odd which made me wonder what was actually written. (like, did they change football to soccer?)

see also:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=2548&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 405 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith