Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37644 08/06/01 09:15 AM
P
pox Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
I'm unsure as to whether we can claim credit for coining 'sketchy' in this context, but my extended group of friends have been using the word successfully for several years to describe the cumulative effect of an evenings drug use.

"sorry everyone, I just had a sketchy incident in the toilet"

"pox is looking a little sketchy"

can also be used to describe a very happy inebriated state of being.

"How are you feeling pox?"
"Sketchy!" [grinning]

the word may be subject to the usual manipulation

i.e.
sketched out
sketching around

and also more creative attempts such as 'sketch-tastic'

;)
pox

B
old hand
old hand
B
I've never heard 'sketchy' used to refer to persons directly before. The acquired drug-reference understanding from the 'vague; incomplete' meaning of sketchy doesn't seem a long stretch though, now does it. Not really a coinage [looking skeptically].
The 'sketchy incident in the toilet' is a little confusing. This (seemingly) refers to the act of taking the drugs (e.g. chasing the dragon or snorting snow) rather than the affect thereof - so, it seems you've been very free with your employment of sketchy.
I guess your usage comes from the original meaning in a drug-related context, as such:

- You were messed last night! You remember singing on the tables?
- It's pretty sketchy

BTW, anyone here read the excellent article in The Economist about the drug industry?

P
pox Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Fair points. In answer to your question I feel sure that one may drink until sketchy also. I certainly wouldn't disagree that we're free with the employment of the word. It's become a catchall to deal with pretty much every context situation and emotion.
I can only advise that you try the word in anger while sketchy (or messed). It's beauty seems to be in it's usefulness - we have many converts.
PS. The 'sketchy incident in the toilet' could refer to anything: staggering about, talking to oneself, fainting, being ill, not really remembering how long you've been there etc.

B
old hand
old hand
B
> The 'sketchy incident in the toilet' could refer to anything: staggering about, talking to oneself, fainting, being ill, not really remembering how long you've been there etc.

Thus, your use of the word 'sketchy', indeed remains very sketchy

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

BTW, anyone here read the excellent article in The Economist about the drug industry?

You mean the supplement about legalising the drug trade? Interesting, I thought, but not very much I hadn't heard before.

Bingley

Bingley
B
old hand
old hand
B
> You mean the supplement

Supplement? It was the cover story; a colourful cover it was too.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Survey was the word I was groping for. Anyway, the extra bit in the middle.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes the survey-- and as stated-- not really much new in it.. but still, the whole was wll presented.. about the only fact they left out was the curious fact about US money-- when analysed at a lab, all (100%) US money is contaminated by cocaine-- the larger the denomination the bill, the higher the level of contamination...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
was the curious fact about US money-- when analysed at a lab, all (100%) US money is contaminated by cocaine-- the larger the denomination the bill, the higher the level of contamination...

God, and here I've been over the past two months spending the stuff rather than swallowing it. Probably just as well I'm leaving tomorrow!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well if i am not mistaken, cocaine can be absorbed right through the skin-- so part of your enjoyment of the US has been through osmosis--
just handling US money-- getting the money into your sweaty hands--
and are on a trip in more way than one!

some months ago-- there was a thread about ATM's an POP's (point of purchase? ) machines.. and everyone marveled that we still use real cash money in US..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 763 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith