Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
I would like to find a downloadable word list of all the words you would find in collegiate dictionary. I am looking for the words only not the definitions. I plan to use the list to develop my own programs such as an anagram finder, etc. I am a journeyman programmer and think this would be a good exercise. I have found some word lists already, but they all contain only the base version of a word. I'd like a list that has plurals, all verb endings, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I recommend visiting the Project Gutenberg page at http://www.promo.net/pg/. You can download, I think, the 1923 Websters unabridged. It comes in HTML, if I remember correctly, and you can write short lisps or scripts to remove the pronunciations, definitions, etc. from the txt file.

I'm an ardent supporter of Project Gutenberg. Check it out and snag some of your favorite classics on computer for easy text searches.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
http://www.orchy.com/dictionary/index.html claims to be "the biggest online text dictionary on the web" (but it's just a wordlist), and if you look at the source it's a simple text list at its root. perhaps the author has the list in downloadable format, which would save you some work.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith