About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Hello, Mr. Froggy Father...and how's little Simon doing these days? I'm sure he's adding more than enough beams of light to conteract any noticeable, uh, lack of sleep! Brighten up our sagging board (of late) with some joyous baby bulletins or anecdotes, why don't'cha?! Love to hear 'em! --David

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
some joyous baby bulletins...

Great idea - then we could have a Babyfood Recipes thread...
E, he needed killin!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
baby food recipie for an infant-- Mother loosen bra, or unhook cup of nursing bra-- (general rule, left breast first)
Baby latches onto breast. repeat if needed on right side. done.
wash nipple, reconnect bra.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Is that why the army always marches in step? [titter]

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Environmental detoxification drill. Remove filled diaper. With left forearm under baby's back cradling head in crook of elbow, with little butt in left hand, position posterior under gentle warm stream of water from lavatory faucet, with right hand wash away contamination. Dry gently and apply clean diaper.A lot less work than conventional way, and cleaner, too. I diapered all five of my kids more often than my wife did. And I loved every minute of it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I diapered all five of my kids more often than my wife did. And I loved every minute of it.
I knew there was a good reason why I love you! My
lovely husband did, too--sometimes by design on my part.
I have a much better sense of smell than he does. Often, I'd be able to tell from across the room that somebody needed changing, and I'd say something like, "Would you mind doing a diaper check?", and then of course he'd go on and do the change--which is what I was counting on!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Great idea - then we could have a Babyfood Recipes thread...

Oh, joy.
Fat lot o' good that did, mav

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I would recommend a distinctly conservative attitude on baby feeding. I suspect a lot of babies are sensitized to foods offered them too early in an unrealistic effort to make them gain weight faster. For instance allergy to peanut butter which was unknown when I was in medical school is now common enough to have many parents demanding that it not be allowed in school lunches. I wonder if this is from giving babies peanut butter too soon, or if it from the inclusion of peanut oil in skin preparations such as sunscreen lotions used on children with skin lesions such as psoriasis which could be a source of powerful sensitization.

F
addict
addict
F
For instance allergy to peanut butter which was unknown when I was in medical school is now common enough to have many parents demanding that it not be allowed in school lunches. I wonder if this is from giving babies peanut butter too soon

You've got a point there, Dr. Bill. Our pediatrician recommends not feeding our daughter nuts of any kind until after her third birthday. Dairy products are not to be given before two years.

As for adorable and funny baby stories, I'll offer one of my own. Last night, my wife was trying to burp Abigail (5 months old), and jokingly suggested that the whole family take turns. "You first, Daddy," she told me, and I obligingly let out a very fake "urp." "Now Mommy," my wife said and did her own fake "urp." "and now Abby," whereupon Abby let loose a belch any barfly would have been proud of. It was clearly nothing but a happy coincidence, but my wife and I were laughing all night about it.
[/boring-baby-story]]

B
old hand
old hand
B
Clearly one has to be a parent to fully appreciate the stories, nonetheless they are fun to listen to from an objective standpoint.
Bill mentioned that allergies related to many, now common worries were 'unknown when I was in medical school'. I had a long discussion with a doctor who studies allergies in Germany and how they develop. She told me the DDR/BRD separation during the cold war provided the perfect setting for studying the development of allergies amongst two ethnically and genetically very similar, but almost completely isolated groups. She explained that in the former West Germany, where antibiotics were easily accessible, that the amount of people suffering from hay-fever and other allergic reactions was far higher than in East Germany, where people suffered more from illnesses related to lead in the soil, or smoke in the air. So maybe that's a reason too. One would certainly have to find out how many suffers had medicine against allergic illnesses in the first years of their lives.
I agree that young children are so often poorly fed nowadays, it's frightening. I was in a smoky pub in England recently, and a mother was feeding her, oh, 9-12 month old baby chocolate mousse! I don't need to be a paediatrician to know that's just stupid and irresponsible. The baby looked as if it hated the rich dessert the mother was forcing down its throat, but she was too busy with the fag in her other hand and her beer to notice much.

Anyhow, all the best for your baby Hyla!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 703 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith