Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
addict
addict
F
I looked back on BeingCJ's posts to remember her, and I just wanted to add my thoughts and condolences to those of all of us here. No words can express my sadness, and I feel even worse when I think of her friends and family.

S
S
I grieve as we all do for this very special lady. I hate the thought of even one persons knowledge and opinions to be terminated from this wonderful forum. My tears & most of my prayers are for her children.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
The joy of becoming a grandmother (just a few days old) was tinged with sadness as I heard the news about Being CJ. I hope her family and friends will find solace in the many kind words sent their way,

#36356 07/27/01 10:34 PM
musick Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
On behalf of Carol's family and friends, I extend a sincere thanks to all of you for the love and the words you have shared. I would especially like to thank maverick for the words in "Common Tongue", and inform the members here that it will be displayed on an easel at her memorial service.

For those interested, her visitation-service will be held:
Mon. Aug 6th. 3-7:30-9pm
Cooney's
3552 N. Southport
Chicago, IL 60657-1436

#36357 07/27/01 10:43 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I am stunned, and honoured, Keven.

Perhaps across the seas, words can join us in some small ways. Love to all at Carol's service.

#36358 07/28/01 12:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Words aren't always the best way to express our feelings. Hugs and pats are better. You have mine. As Bingley stated, something could happen to any of us and how would anyone know? I found out about this post because Keven failed to respond to an e-mail I sent him, so I pulled up his info and saw this post. I was so sorry to read this, but heartened by the outpouring of love from this AWAD family of ours.

consuelo

#36359 07/28/01 02:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
something could happen to any of us and how would anyone know?
I was just telling someone yesterday how neat it is, that so many of us consider the board members as another family.
I have the feeling that this is fairly unusual on the 'net.
It also occurred to me that, tragic though it is, Carol's
passing has done some good, in helping to both spotlight and solidify that feeling, by pointing out not only how fragile a human being is, but also how tenuous our hold on each other here is. We seem to have opened our hearts this week as we never have before.

I love my friends, and I hate losing people. Here is what I have done about that for here. Some people know how to contact me directly, and I know how to contact some directly, though a time or two, I had to beg. I have written out instructions for my husband on how to make a post right here, should something happen to me, and I hope he can and will do that. For those of us who don't have anyone to do that, the only thing I can think of is to consider letting someone know how to contact a family member or friend, in your absence. This of course requires a high level of trust, and understanding that this info. will not be abused. For what it's worth, I do not think it is a good idea for our private phone numbers and addresses to be on the internet, even on Max's site. My instructions to my husband include that, should something happen to me, that anyone who has my address can feel free to give it to any board member who asks for it.

I would like to think that everyone here could be accounted for, in case of unexplained disappearance, but I know that not everyone is comfortable with that. For me, it is not a matter of being nosy or keeping tabs, it is a matter of that if something is wrong, I want to be able to say I'm sorry, and to offer help if possible. I'm still upset over losing David 108--he had started teaching me Afrikaans, and
he just...vanished.

I feel rather presumptuous in saying this, but for any member who doesn't feel comfortable sharing personal contact info. with anyone in particular, if you'd care to send it to me, I promise not to abuse it.

#36360 07/28/01 02:58 PM
addict
addict
I do entirely agree with Jackie that we have a tenuous hold on each other here. Obviously, some information is shared with others, such as e-mail addresses and such, but I would say that only a very few have established the kind of friendship that allows more direct contact, such as phoning people or knowing their address. As she also points out, this is all a matter of personal choice, of what each of us is comfortable with, and so it should remain.

But it appears that many of us care enough, and feel close enough to other members to want to know if anything should happen to someone. The outpouring of sorrow over Carol's passing has made that quite evident. And I think there are a couple of things that we can all do to make it easier for all of us to know if anything does happen:

One is, tell a good friend of yours about the board. Someone who you think would enjoy the interaction and all the learning. We found out about Carol from Keven, since they were friends out there, and were both coming here to contribute to our ramblings. Of course, this is also a great thing, since we get to have new contributions!

Two is, let others know if you are going to be away for a long while, just so people don't start wondering or worrying unnecessarily. I, for one, will be moving back to Spain in a few weeks, and I will probably not have Internet access until I am well settled. One of the things that I had planned on doing was either make a leeetle post explaining, or simply send a few private messages to let other members know that I was temporarily leaving (maybe all this won't be necessary after this post?). You know, just in case anyone got to wonderin'.

Just some thoughts...

#36361 07/28/01 04:57 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Good sentiments, Jackie and Marianna.

Now, by the time we have had our first Big Meet...

it's gotta happen... "make the field and they will come"

#36362 07/28/01 10:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I too agree with Jackie and Marianna. How about the next person who is going to leave for a "protracted" (and that is relative, of course) period of time start a thread here in Info & Announcements to let others know. And it can be the thread for all of us to use for the same purpose. So far we've kind of been doing that haphazardly, with a "by the way, I'll be gone for the next two weeks" in our last post, wherever that may have occurred, but I think it would be a good idea to have a single thread for this purpose. That is, until we decide it isn't.

I have been in a number of chatrooms and bulletin boards in my five years on the net, and not a one has come close to approaching the level of comraderie and sheer civility of this board. Yes, there are moments that are less than civil, but compared to my experience in other net places they don't even count.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith