Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#36261 08/03/01 01:55 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
need a witty riposte here,

It's only people with small minds who are fixated on big breasts?

#36262 08/03/01 03:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
is the con-verse true to? men with big mind fixate on small breast? is there hope for me ?

#36263 08/03/01 03:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
is the con-verse true to? men with big minds fixate on small breast? is there hope for me ?

#36264 08/03/01 03:47 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Spit in my face, you femmes, and peerce my side,
Buffet and scoff, scourge and crucifie mee...

Keeping in mind the observation of a later poet about fools rushing in, and without admitting that I have sinn'd and sinn'd, I venture to point out that y'all have been jumping on me for more than I really said.

I certainly didn't say, or believe, that a woman can't be good looking and smart at the same time, O beloved of Jove. Moreover, your comment seems to contain the hidden premise that all women with large breasts are good looking, which I deny. I have eaten in a Hooters more than once (not by my choice), and can tell you that some of the waitresses look more like cows than beauty queens, mainly because of their excessive mammary development (or, possibly, augmentation). Also, while there, I have seen no young women who seemed to be PhD candidates.

In general, the rest of the blasts seem to be saying pretty much the same thing: that just because a young woman takes a waitress job at Hooters, there should be no presumption that she's under genius-level IQ, and only an unregenerate MCP would imply such a notion.

Let's look at this more closely. [Counsel for the defence rises, pushes his wig back off his low brow.] If it please your Ladyships, may I ask you and the jury to consider these points and answer some questions in your own minds:
1. Whom does Hooters hire as waitresses? (We may dispense with the PC term "waitpersons" or other espressions of that ilk, since, to my knowledge, they hire only females for this job.)
2. Assuming they were alive, available, able-bodied and experienced at waiting tables, would Hooters hire Jackie Onassis, the president of Brown University (I forget her name), Helen Gurley Brown, or Katherine Graham?
3. For that matter, would they hire some of the veteran waitresses, who have been waiting tables for years at any of a number of other eating establishments, who resemble somebody's mother?
4. If a young woman had the background or the education of the women mentioned above, and even if she did have bodacious tatas, would she want to work at Hooters?
5. Given what Hooters pays waitresses (diddly-squat, like most restaurants, making tips the waitress's main source of income), would not a young woman as well-endowed intellectually as she would have to be physically be able to do better at some other job where she can use her intellectual qualifications?
6. I believe we may take it as stipulated that Hooters, while ostensibly an equal-opportunity employer, does not hire anyone as a waitress except good looking and well-endowed young women. I submit to your ladyships that if you have given dispassionate consideration to the questions submitted, you will conclude with me that young women with smarts, education, or what is generally considered good background or bringing up, will regard employment at Hooters as either distasteful, immoral perhaps, or insufficiently remunerative considering that they can almost certainly do better elsewhere. And this even if they did happen to possess the Hooters desiderata. So whom does that leave in the pool of possibilities for employment at Hooters?

M'ladies, the defence rests.

[Doffing wig and gown and putting on hardhat and asbestos suit]

#36265 08/03/01 04:31 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And be it remembered that fixation on mammary glands is a form of metonymy for a structure almost one hundred percent therewith associated, but not as acceptably referred to.

#36266 08/03/01 05:13 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Also, while there, I have seen no young women who seemed to be PhD candidates.

Perhaps true. However, how many of the same-aged guys are PhD candidates?

5. Given what Hooters pays waitresses (diddly-squat, like most restaurants, making tips the waitress's main source of income), would not a young woman as well-endowed intellectually as she would have to be physically be able to do better at some other job where she can use her intellectual qualifications?

I've gotta part with ya here, Byb. When I was in school, I knew plenty of intellectually-endowed women taking jobs that paid low but had great flexibility, evening shifts, and other amenities that made college life (for their PhDs perhaps) bearable. Walk around NYU, UCLA, Texas A&M, or other good school, and catch up with those whose parent's aren't paying their way. You'll meet many 3.5 gpa and above waitresses, exotic dancers, newspaper deliverers, and other (what some USns think as)sub-professionals.

Edit: A good example is me. I worked a non-intellectually-stimulating graveyard shift with drug addicts to pay my way through school (with highest honors).

#36267 08/03/01 05:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You'll meet many 3.5 gpa and above waitresses, exotic dancers, newspaper deliverers, and other (what some USns think as)sub-professionals.

two outta three, here and dean's list every semester.

and it wasn't hooters -- i hate the ugly shorts they make those girls wear

#36268 08/03/01 05:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A) So they get paid diddly-squat. What're the tips like?

2) Assuming the tips are good, if any male here had some physical characteristic that caused women to leave him large tips would he be considered intellectually challenged to take advantage of the fact?

Þ) Even assuming the woman in question was less than fully intellectually endowed, is that an excuse for leading her down the garden path?

#36269 08/03/01 06:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[rant]

I believe we may take it as stipulated that Hooters, while ostensibly an equal-opportunity employer, does not hire anyone as a waitress except good looking and well-endowed young women. I submit to your ladyships that if you have given dispassionate consideration to the questions submitted, you will conclude with me that young women with smarts, education, or what is generally considered good background or bringing up, will regard employment at Hooters as either distasteful, immoral perhaps, or insufficiently remunerative considering that they can almost certainly do better elsewhere.

can i live on your planet, bob? a place where woman are all smart and have good breeding and have money-- since it money that enable anyone to make choices..
have you seen the studies-- that show, today-- 35 years after the renewed battle for womans equality, that woman still earn only $0.90 for every $1 a man earns? and that is only if she doesn't take of time in her career for child rearing chores.. If she takes of a year or two-- she cuts her potential salary on average by an other nickle.. $45K per annum, not $50-- and then raises expressed as a % of base.. year after year.. so she will never catch up!

women who have smarts go where the money is.. because no matter what they do, they are still likely to be shortchanged! and on top of that-- management still thinks its great fun to promise a toyota-- and in the same breathe talk about cars, trucks, vans. and deliver a $3.95 toy? tell me who is the brainless person here? who thought they could get away with this? Hooter is not some little resteraunt in no where ville. it is a major corporation, with franchizes all over the US.

for half my working career, i worked the "hardware" side of technology. and got nothing but "you're going to fix the machine? i also considered sueing my employer-- since i got told to my face my management, that "you didn't need the promotion and raise-- you have a husband to support you. You shouldn't even be in this job-- you're keeping some man from a decent job" -- and this was a (at the time) a Fortune 500 company!
[/rant]

#36270 08/03/01 06:31 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Here's another Dean's List CoEd who worked her way through college with her share of waitressing and similar positions. And when I finally graduated law school and got a job at a firm, I heard "you are too young/pretty to be a lawyer" and had to work to not be cornered by the firm's important clients at the annual holiday party. I've never been to a Hooters, but I salute those who have come after me who can turn their looks to their own profit. The hassle comes regardless, so you might as well take advantage of it. You go girls!

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 704 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith