Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#34439 07/02/01 05:02 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Today's word according to e-mail yesterday is "generic". The pink bar above still says it is
"webliography".
I think the definition given by guest wordsmith of cheap toilet paper, is not really well chosen. My
dictionary gives "without a brand name" as second definition. and I do not think that well chosen either.
Just about nothing gets sold without a brand name, be it ever so humble.
And I suspect the most common way board members will encounter the word is when they get a
prescription filled for which an insurance company pays. You never get the top brand that way. There
are companies that even after paying royalties can make the same drug more cheaply than the
originator, but they have to give it another name. For instance I used to take "Cardizem" I now get the
same drug as a knock-off called "Diltiazem."
You will see drug company propaganda alleging that the "generics" are not to be trusted. Baloney. To
suggest that Bayer Aspirin is better than Walmart's cheapo brands of acetyl salicylic acid is absurd. I
have made aspirin. The only trick is to get rid of traces of the starting materials.
So "generic" is most often a charitable name for a knock-off.

#34440 07/02/01 05:59 PM
F
addict
addict
F
Another, more palatable, name for generic these days is "store brand" -- as in "I got the store brand toilet paper instead of Charmin and saved $1.25." Speaking of medications, though, I notice that lately Tylenol has started printing on its packages of over-priced stuff that "the facility that manufactures Tylenol-brand pain reliever does not produce any other brand of pain reliever" (or something to that effect) to counter the argument that the generics are often made in the same factories as the name brand stuff. I agree with Dr. Bill -- it's all the same to my headache.

#34441 07/02/01 06:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Another, more palatable, name for generic these days is "store brand"

Not quite the same. Ann Page is the A&P store brand. The generics (and I haven't seen any lately, except in some single malts) came in a white package with plain black lettering, often in a stencil style font saying something like PEAS and little if anything more.

#34442 07/02/01 06:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
... and since this is a generic Weekly Theme topic, it can therefore be discussed in any forum. Animal Safari, anyone?

#34443 07/02/01 06:50 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I agree that generic may be used to identify "knock-offs," but I more frequently see the term used, as others have mentioned, to apply to store-brands. And I wouldn't consider these knock-offs. In fact, I'm pretty sure after inspecting my store-brand pineapple and the Dole pineapple tins, that they come from the same factory. The boxes they were shipped in when I used to stock shelves on the graveyard were too similar, too.

I think of it as the Banana Republic, The Gap, Old Navy marketing scheme. The same manufacturers market products to three groups based on income (I'm Old Navy myself; couldn' afford the other two). Dole gets to corner the money-tight consumers while still getting the wealthier brand-conscious consumers.

Now, what was the word for that? Consumerism, greed, or just good marketing?

#34444 07/02/01 07:08 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I just remembered a humorous episode back in the sixties or seventies. The top brand people started using ads comparing their products against "Brand X" They kept it up long enough, that some shrewdie started a brand called "Brand X" and spending only pennies on advertising benefited from the brand names advertising to make out quite well for a few years.

#34445 07/02/01 09:09 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<So "generic" is most often a charitable name for a knock-off.">>

Thus, "Generic Givenche" and not "knock-off," "Generic Dollar" and not "counterfeit."

And taking leave--uncharacteristically--of the ridiculous, "generic" brings attention to an important matter of ethics much in the news lately concerning the manufacture of AIDS medications for third world distribution. Among the less discussed aspects of the controversy are: (a) the special interest the politics of this part of public health holds for the wealthy citizens of developed nations; and (b) the ethical "dilemma" posed to economies whose wealth is increasingly concentrated in "intellectual property" which term, so used, is fundamentally an oxymoron as a matter of law (Sparteye?). "Generic," in the age of commerce, points directly at that four-letter word, "liberty."

#34446 07/03/01 03:18 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#34447 07/03/01 03:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Baloney. To suggest that Bayer Aspirin is better than Walmart's cheapo brands of salicylic acid is absurd.

My Dad's a pharmacist (and he was a pharmacist before they became pill-counters), and he would emphatically assert the same thing, Dr. Bill. He never brought home anything but generic brands for us, including prescription drugs. There's was absolutely no reason to waste good money for a fancy label, he would say. It's all the same, it all works just as well.
"Rose is a rose is a rose..." "A rose by any other name would be as sweet"...and is!

#34448 07/03/01 04:29 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<A rose by any other name would be as sweet.>>

A Shakespearean at the acting studio told us the Rose in question was the theater, which smelled of sewerage. But my uncle and grandfather, both pharmacists, agreed with your dad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith