telepathy

Hmmm . . . wouldn't that be nice.

http://www.skepdic.com/esp.html

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
But telepathy would be available to eavesdroppers, and that would not be nice.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
"But telepathy would be available to eavesdroppers"

There's a lovely word, I think. But I wonder what eavesdropping direct on someone's thoughts would yield--I have the impression thought's a bit different than we think it is. At the very least, it is not as tidy as impression.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
"But telepathy would be available to eavesdroppers"

There's a lovely word, I think. But I wonder what eavesdropping direct on someone's thoughts would yield--I have the impression thought's a bit different than we think it is. At the very least, it is not as tidy as its impression.

Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Are some of you able to slow down thought by requiring yourself to formulate words and phrases for meaning within your heads (talking to yourself) and, when necessary, speed up thought by only going through visual images and/or emotions? Can thought be sped up in that way?

I definitely have different gears. When I am on a roll -- usually, when I have hit my stride in work-related writing -- I am unconscious of my thought processes or of my composition of what I am writing. During other, less lucky, times, I struggle a bit with slower thought and composition, and I am conscious of the words I am using.

Usually, I can easily be taken from the former state to the latter by an interruption. Returning to the state of mental grace is more difficult, but can be done. To me, it is a bit like the mental shift I experience when viewing those Magic Eye pictures.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
usually, when I have hit my stride in work-related writing -- I am unconscious of my thought processes or of my composition of what I am writing. During other, less lucky, times, I struggle a bit with slower thought and composition, and I am conscious of the words I am using.

Sparteye, if I didn't know better I'd think we were twins separated at birth!
When I am composing a story and I am in the zone the whole forms and my typing can hardly keep up with the story ... other times it's uphill through a downrushing tide of thick molasses!

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I definitely have different gears.

I think I have different gears, too. But I'm struck with a little dilemma. If we can have faster and slower thoughts, then doesn't it follow that there exists time in-between thoughts (or the generation of those thoughts)? And if that is true, wouldn't it follow that there is a bit of time between the thoughts where there is no thought? Are we ever never thinking?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
doesn't it follow that there exists time in-between thoughts (or the generation of those thoughts)?

I think, rather that the route we take from problem to solution can be different depending on the mode of thought. When we are striving to work a problem through logically we have to take more steps than we do if we make what are usually called intuitive leaps.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Brandon-- the simple answer--meditation.. a simple meditation.. sit in a comfortable chair.. and slowly become conscious of your senses.. the feeling of the chair , at your back, your buttocks, and arms.. your feet on the floor, the weight of your head.. be come conscious of the feel of the air on your skin.. of the light in the room, of the things in front of your eyes.. the pattern on wall (is a subtle texture from a roller? or wall paper? or as in my cube, cloth? notice the shadows and play of light on things.. how a dark black surface can be brighter in sun light than a white surface in the shade... what aromas are available? coffee? faint oder of cigarettes? what can you taste? any left over sensation (or pop a in a tic tac mint before you start).. and hearing? can you hear other typing away? a phone ringing down the hall? the elevators moving in the shafts? what faint sounds can you find..

and then, after focusing intensely on all the senses, let them go.. no thinking, no feeling just the calm of existance..

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Are we ever never thinking?

Fascinating thread, guys! My answer (FWINW) would be something like "yes - but we are never free of the process of pattern-sifting", which is what I believe we do as the precursor to 'thought' or language or other more abstract formulations. I have some interesting quotes from a BBC Radio programme broadcast the other day about the development of langauge in ninfants that has a bearing on this, and on which Brandon may well feeel like commenting, since some of the research was comparing sign and verbal creation. I'll have to transcribe it first!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 806 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith