About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#34140 07/02/01 01:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Then you are at the race track at the Meadowlands..

#34141 07/02/01 02:08 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"making the lady walk"..
I haven't seen the statues, but sight unseen I'll bet five will get you ten that the lady was not properly attired to ride astride. And I'll bet few war horses would tolerate a crupper occupant. Nor would military protocol permit it.

#34142 07/02/01 02:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Then you are at the race track at the Meadowlands..

... or in a Marc Chagall painting...

Helen, I don't think I can add a thing to your post about Noo Yawkers. Actually, I *am a native (Brooklyn-born) but didn't live there very long and only returned to Manhattan in 1995 for a three-year gig.

#34143 07/02/01 03:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Often transplanted NYer's see things that we all the time residents don't see (or see differently) *
No, make that transplants -- from anywhere see things differently.

I have a friend from DC, who lived in Japan for a while, when first back in US, she lived in Atlanta--I went to visit her, and both of us loved the kudzo--i understand that most southerners hate it.. (and i might well hate it, if i had to live with it..) but as visitor, i thought it beautiful.-- My friend said it reminder her of Japan.. we both had very different perspectives than natives.

(and i didn't like Atlanta much-- i am so used to a city with a vital 24 hour down town.. in atlanta-- there were plenty of wonder places-- but you had to drive to them.. and all were out side the city core (i am not sure of where the city line was.. but most clubs, etc. where in malls) it had to me a very un-city feel.).

#34144 07/02/01 05:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Often transplanted NYer's see things that we all the time residents don't see (or see differently)

Yep, Helen, very true. But you have a clear vision of your city, and I congratulate you on that.

(and i didn't like Atlanta much-- i am so used to a city with a vital 24 hour down town.. in atlanta-- there were plenty of wonder places-- but you had to drive to them.. and all were out side the city core (i am not sure of where the city line was.. but most clubs, etc. where in malls) it had to me a very un-city feel.).

Yep again. After having lived 18 years in São Paulo and 3 in Manhattan, I agree with you that Atlanta is a faux (pardon my French) city and I assure you, I'm happy to be leaving it (for more than one reason , including my dislike of the insidious kudzu).

#34145 07/02/01 05:26 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
my dislike of the insidious kudzu).

When I was in Atlanta in WWII, a dairyman named Callaway was proud of having introduced kudzu.It is an excellent fodder for animals, but grows too well in places where it can't be harvested.

There were a lot of things to like in Atlanta, including a "fishbowl" of beer for fifteen cents.

The biggest problem I had was that I had to carry a light weight jacket, as the uniform comfortable at 5 pm just wasn't comfortable when the temperature dropped after dusk and it got really chilly.

#34146 07/02/01 05:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When I was in Atlanta in WWII

Ah, whatever became of the Good Old Days, when we used to say, "Whatever became of the Good Old Days"?

#34147 07/02/01 05:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, Dr Bill, I grew up in Atlanta in the 60s and it was a good place to be (maybe not so good as in the 40s). But it has not improved with age. In fact, the town now beats out L.A. in the 'worst pollution' and 'most dire commute' categories.

and yes, kudzu is a pretty vine, but as you pointed out, it's done too well here. It climbs up the pines and kills them. You can *actually sit around and watch it grow.

#34148 07/02/01 06:20 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I'm glad to have been brought up in a small town. It was a much happier place for kids than any I know of today.
I had many, many freedoms that cannot be allowed today.

The price of progress is truly painful in many ways. Yet in my old age I like it here in LA. I did get robbed of sixty bucks by a pair of crooks posing as policemen the second day I was here

But I can walk my two miles twice a day on sidewalks all the way, and only a couple crossings where I may have to wait for traffic light to change in my favor. Even on the hot days we are having now, I can walk in AM before it gets too warm, and most evenings there is a breeze that compensates for high eighty temps.

The only way pollution bothers me is that every couple weeks I have to clean a bit of dust off lawn chairs and tables.And in the large lovely park I don't have to worry about "red bugs" as I did in Atlanta.And no Lyme disease.
I envy Capital Kiwi having had the energy to see far more of LA than I ever will

#34149 07/02/01 08:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
as a technical trainer-- i have to lead people into new applications.. --which is change.. some people like change, some dislike it.. but even people who like change, don't like when it is forced on them. (an example, some people hate to change jobs, other people are always "jumping" to new positions, but no one like to be let go, layed off or fired.)

So i have to help people like something (against their better nature.. ) Yes, Dr. bill you had some freedoms that don't exist today-- but today's kids have freedom you didn't have. We've had Jazzo & Jim the dog, and other youngsters visit and contribute to this board-- Did you have the freedom to meet and converse with doctors, lawyers, educators, and other profressionals from all over the world (as an equal!) when you where in HS? This is a wonderful freedom! things have changed, and in someways, children do lead more restrictive lives.. but in other ways, new worlds have opened..

Economics plays a part -- all of us do not have the same opportunites.. but I love that i have friends (who i might never meet) in India, and indoneasia, europe, down under and all over these United states... i can afford to travel -- but not as much as i would like-- but i do feel like i travel a bit every day..

and when i do really travel-- it is much easier to do than it was when you were young.. I went to ireland as child in 1960- it was an eight hour flight-- but just 15 years before, when my parents immigrated.. it was still such a big deal, my father thought he'd never go back-- and my children have been to japan-- my daughter flying by herself--aged 17. How long a trip would that have been in your childhood? (14 hours, non stop ny to narita) could you imagine going? on your own? -- no it's not usual-- but it's not unusual either... economics dictates that some of us can only travel by that sturdiest of frigates, a book, but many contributors here have covered half the globe (and CK is currently in the process of covering 2/3's!)

Nowdays, a small town is connected to the world..Freedom is not lost, it is changed..
(embrace change!)

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 519 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith