Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The latest version is lovely. Such talent!

Please get rid of the signature line option when you get around to architecting® the 'Edit Profile' section.

YES! For compulsive readers (like moi) it is crazy-making.

Keep Enigma! Sometimes it has me laughing out loud with its suggestions and unintentional double entendres. And what would we kvetch about without it?

Could the "Helpful Hints For Newcomers" thread be taken out of its present location and incorporated somehow as a click-link?

How you'd make it possible to save sent-and-received PMs is way beyond me. At present I just copy then paste in a folder located in My Documents. Otherwise I just send them off with a cheerful "Bon Voyage!"

I may be alone in this -- Could you make a first name required in the Personal Profile? The rest left as is except as noted above re ID line.

Personal preference re Links to other word sites : I tried word sites for a year before finding AWAD and AWADtalk. Did not find any as interesting and easy to use and full of such terrific folks as this one. Have no objection to providing them, I will probably check them out and return confirmed in my opinion that the nicest, kindest, most informative, intelligent, and mannerly folks are right here.
An informal chat room? ... Hmmmm.... doesn't the PM option serve that purpose?

Oh! Please! Keep the preview option AND the Thread Mode. I cannot, despite best attemps, follow that "other" option.

Well that's all from this non-techie Threadnodist!
Respectfully submitted by your
High Priestess
wow
Affectionate Aloha to all.

J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
when you get around to architecting® the 'Edit Profile' section.

I don't know how much "architecturing" will actually happen to AWADtalk except for appearance. That depends on what kind of options came with purchasing the discussion board. Anu didn't write this board, he apparently bought it from a company that makes them, so I don't know how much control he has over it.

As for things I can control, don't worry about me making the page take too long to load, I just have a simple modem as well. I haven't really decided which of the designs I like more yet. With the second one, the box colors can be changed more easily, but the boxes also restrict how much text there is on the front page.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wow's suggestion to add Jo's 'helpful hints for newcomers' as a link is a good one -- though many of those hints are included in the FAQs, I don't think all of them are. This brings me to a question:

Jazz & Max, are y'all talking about who will do what and what goes where? I would not want many of the features of Max's page (especially the photographs!) to be added to the AWAD site. Maybe this is obvious to those of you involved, but I wanted to state it, anyway

and further stating the obvious: wow, a chat room is different from PMs in that it is Real Time® - that is, we type as we speak. As it were.

J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Whether or not the Helpful Hints becomes a part of wordsmith.org is Anu's decision. We don't want to put Max out a job, though. I think it would be at least a good idea to provide a link to Max's site so newcomers can become more acquainted.

I'm not sure if this audience could support both a discussion board and a full-time chatroom. A chatroom would probably tend more toward just talking about the weather and if there were AWADtalk quality discussions, they wouldn't be able to be read by all because they would just pass on in real time.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Nearly forgot ... it is obvious but ... keep whatever it is that shows there are new entries in a categoy and the new posts within a category's thread.
Thank you
the boxes also restrict how much text there is on the front page.

This is not a bad thing. Think headlines. David Brinkley once said that anyone conversant in English should be able to reduce any story to seven words. Hmmmm.
Admit it - You'd be bored without a challenge.

J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
keep whatever it is that shows there are new entries in a categoy and the new posts within a category's thread.

I believe that's a default and we can't (and wouldn't want to anyway) get rid of it. I think Anu is mainly looking for suggestions for the whole of wordsmith.org rather than just the board, of which he has little control.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Anu is mainly looking for suggestions for the whole of wordsmith.org rather than just the board
Oh!

#32997 06/23/01 06:52 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think we need a smilie which I cannot describe as other than the shit-eating grin. :D

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Jazz,

Your design is excellent: pleasant to look at, easy to interpret and soothing. I have no trouble reading from the color scheme as interpreted by my box, but I do wonder with Marianna if higher contrast between background color and text might not be helpful for those with vision problems.

Thank you!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith