Carpal Tunnel
speaking of news...

Enough, already?

#31601 06/09/01 06:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
speaking of news...

Enough, already?

McVeigh's execution just shows that the American "justice" system is retributive in nature. Capital punishment, as "setting an example", is a failure. It's simple revenge by the state, and, of course, it's got to be totally counter-productive because it sends the ultimate mixed message. On the one hand the law says "citizens shall not kill" and on the other that it's okay if the state does it on citizens' behalf. Huh?

This is not in any way condoning McVeigh's actions, BTW.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#31602 06/09/01 09:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm truly perplexed by the existence of this thread given the first comment within it...

CK - Nice try! Justice, by definition, unfortunately cannot be achieved with a "scoundrel" such as him (I'm assuming it's the reason for the quotes around the word). BTW, I would stand beside you with all those words, however, we can't send him off to Australia for "isolation" anymore.

#31603 06/09/01 11:05 PM
R
R
Not to put too fine a point on it but... the law does not say "citizens shall not kill" it says citizens shall not murder. If someone attacks you and you kill while defending yourself, you have killed but not committed murder. (One attack I have heard made against Republicans in the states is, "How can you be against abortion but for capital punishment." I have never heard the counter argument of how can the Democrats be in favour of abortion but not capital punishment.)

Having said all of that, I am 100% percent against the death penalty. In Canada, in the past ten years, or so, there have been several high-profile cases of people convicted of murder who were later found to be innocent. In one case, the person was repeatedly denied parole because he refused to admit his guilt and he served 23 years before being cleared. At least if the person has been wrongfully convicted it is possible for the wrong to be righted.

#31604 06/11/01 12:17 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I am inclined to agree with Rouspeteur. Those wrongful conviction cases sure are scary! All you have to do is accidentally be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and your life is completely ruined.

#31605 06/11/01 12:46 PM
R
addict
addict
R
Those wrongful conviction cases sure are scary

We have had enough of them in UK to make me wonder as well, particularly as the ones that were executed are less likely to be recognised as miscarriages of justice. While I used to be 100% against the death penalty, I have modified my views to be an arithmetician on the subject. If someone can convince me that significantly fewer innocent people will die as a result of executions, presumably because of deterrent effects and less reoffending, then I will relunctantly have to accept it. Mind you, while I find it distasteful that the state can execute people, I don't lose a lot of sleep over some of the "victims".

By the way, I still have the following article in my "Rod's Odds and Sods" folder from New York Times (??) 1984-ish on the Ronald O'Bryan execution:
"Another factor that could affect executions in Texas is a ruling by the US Court of Appeal for DC ... that such injections could not be carried out until the Food and Drug Administration approved the poison used". ...as being safe for human consumption, or what??
Rod

#31606 06/11/01 12:48 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
C.K. writes:
not in any way condoning McVeigh's actions

So you believe they have the right man then? And he acted alone?
They'd better kill this guy before he writes a best seller :-)

#31607 06/11/01 06:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Yeah. Now that he's dead, we'll probably never know how many were involved.

#31608 06/11/01 07:15 PM
J
J
I cannot help but writing a few words on this subject. We have got plenty of murderers here and not only terrorists. This week a junkie was arrested after letting her kid die of starvation.
Those acts, specially the ones against kids, make my guts ask for revenge. My inner mind relishes thinking about how those monsters are suffering from a terrible death.
But I try not to let my guts do the thinking. And, sometimes, I’ve got to try hard. I want to be a better human being than those murderers so don’t want to participate, even ideologically, on any killing.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster."
-- Nietsche

#31609 06/11/01 09:46 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Yeah. Now that he's dead, we'll probably never know how many were involved.

Even if he hadn't been executed we probably would never have found out through him. He wasn't planning on talking. Now he has, in a certain sense, become a martyr, and that's what he wanted.

The thing I find most confusing about the whole death penalty issue is that American seems to be, as a people, not a government, very religious. This is purported to mean peaceful, yet we're the country with the most crime and people in jail, and we support the death penalty (about 60% do at least). UK, on the other hand, where there is no death penalty and seemingly lower crime, has had, I've heard, 48% of the population describe themselves as not believing in a god. Does anyone else find this somewhat paradoxical?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith