About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31539 06/08/01 03:57 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I was watching Dan Rather on Letterman tonight, and he came out with one of his famous sayings that I rather liked (ahem): In a reply to a question from David Letterman about why John McCain was still so upset with President* Bush, he replied that Bush and his campaign had made some scurrilous accusations against McCain's family during the South Carolina primary. Letterman joked that this was one time he wished he remembered what scurrilous meant, and Rather responded: "Well, when you don't want to say anything you use a twelve cylinder word . I like that. "Twelve cylinder word." Kind of like the words we toss around here all the time!!

Then, when talking about the incompetence of the FBI in the Tim McVeigh case, Rather offered that "Pretty soon people are going to think the FBI couldn't track an elephant in a field full of snow if it was bleeding." Also likeable for a change! A real departure for folks who tuned in to Rather on US Election Night this past November
and heard the chain of distorted Texan/Southern imagery he lugubriously spewed out all evening long (though interesting nevertheless).

So I thought it would be interesting to create a thread to post any worthy new Dan Ratherisms I encounter along the way...noteworthy either for their quality, or because they are the usual laughable groaners! And I invite anyone else who likes to do the same. And if anyone happens to remember any Dan Ratherisms that "struck a bell" offhand (though I don't know why anyone would unless they're a Rather-watching junkie) please post them here as well. Happy Rather-Watching!

#31540 06/08/01 04:35 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
"Well, when you don't want to say anything you use a twelve cylinder word .

Ah, but anyone who's heard a V-12 Ferrari at 8,000rpm, or a Rolls-Royce Merlin in a Spitfire or Mustang knows that obfuscation was NOT their intent!

As I asked on another thread, WHAT would Dan Rather?

#31541 06/08/01 10:56 AM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
I like that. "Twelve cylinder word." Kind of like the words we toss around here all the time!!

Thanks to Anu we have a place to toss these words around.

I like this thread, although, alas, I cannot remember any Ratherism. I hope others do. I'll sit back and enjoy.
I love that one about the FBI.

chronist

#31542 06/23/01 10:34 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Thing about twelve-cylinder words, you gotta give 'em a lot 'o gas.

#31543 06/24/01 02:59 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
you gotta give 'em a lot 'o gas

Yeah, insel, and that could get expensive these days, huh?

Happened to hear some more of Dan's Dandy Word's tonight, so here they are for you to smile or groan by:

At the end of an interview Tim Russert came right out and asked, "What are your favorite Ratherisms?" Dan chuckled and offered a couple from his now infamous Election Night diatribe.

Bush's lead is shakier than cafeteria Jell-o.

Bush is sweeping though the South like a tornado through a trailer park.

And, when asked earlier in the interview about his now equally infamous new haircut (thanks largely to Letterman quips) Rather said, I needed a haircut, I went to the barbershop and fell asleep, and I woke up with this.

Go, Dan! Your merry Rather Gatherer signing off 'til next time!

#31544 09/18/01 06:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
After watching Dan Rather's very moving appearance on David Letterman's first show back since the tragedy last night, I must in all fairness do the gentleman justice by entering this very apt phrase from his lips:

"If the Bin Ladens of this world aren't nervous now, they soon will be." Amen.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith