Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#31394 06/13/01 02:43 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Helen dearest, not being in a curmudgeonly mood this morning, I shan't say anything about your use of an English word in a French phrase, but I have to ask you, in the interests of historical veracity, didn't Mrs. Madison spell her name Dolley? I have often wondered about that. [apologizing for nitpicking emoticon]

#31395 06/13/01 04:37 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
oh-- i think the commercial ice cream is Dolly but i could be wrong about that, too.

aside from ice cream-- she is famous for saving the portait of George Washington when some of our neighbors across the pond burned the capital building in 1812...

and i already mangle spelling in english-- i am not even going to pretend i know the correct ending for american to make it french-- but i do remember reading the style that pie a la mode refers to --is to pie american style (ie with ice cream)

#31396 06/15/01 12:45 AM
B
B
the only people I ever heard of who had a living room with a sofa and a love seat but no chairs .
How about living room with only chairs.. Currently I'm not willing to spend the time or $ right now to get a couch/loveseat/futon etc (whatever). Tommorrow we will be in the house 1 month.

CJ

CJ
#31397 06/15/01 03:03 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thanks to one of my wife's strange notions of interior decoration we were, at one time, the only people I ever heard of who had a living room with a sofa and a love seat but no chairs.

If that's strange, I'm positively bizarre. The TV area of our rec room as a sofa and a loveseat, but no chairs. The living room has a loveseat and chairs, but no sofa. The library has a loveseat and chairs, but no sofa. The garden room has a settee and no chairs, sofas or loveseats. The sun room has chairs, but no loveseats, sofas or settees.

The family room has (TADA!) a sofa and chairs, but no loveseat. I'm thinking that this is the official configuration?

Remotely tying this in with language - let's discuss decorative terms.

The exterior of my house is traditional Tudor, and the interior is traditional traditional. The dining room is Queen Anne, but the living room is closer to French Traditional, while most of the rest of the house is Eclectic. I have a friend who built a Craftsman house, and has furnished it in that style as well.

Jackie: I know that you have a split-level house. Let me guess: American colonial-influenced interior?

#31398 06/15/01 03:24 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Sparteye tells us about:

rec room
living room
library
garden room
sun room
family room

And you don't think the first part of your post was about language? I could never keep all those rooms straight (much less clean).

#31399 06/15/01 03:36 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Too true, Hyla! My sitting room not only has no sofa, no love seat and no chairs - it even has no roof!

#31400 06/15/01 03:46 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Ah, the joys of the big room with no walls!

#31401 06/15/01 04:09 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yeah - unparalleled views of the sunsets as the sun makes midday for Helen, but damp when raining

OTOH, there are five families of sparrows and others making their nests in the stone gable destined to be the sitting room wall, so I don't feel too bad about the delay right now. Ask me again by Christmas...

#31402 06/20/01 02:04 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A-ha! My neighbor's house is for sale, and there is an online tour of it available, which shows a walk-out construction. In this case, the house is build in farmhouse style.

Go to http://www.tomieraines.com/listings/details.asp?mls=59497&type=RES

See how the front of the house looks like a two-story? Now, click on the button on the right of the screen which says "virtual tour." The first view you are given is a 360 from the front exterior. (Note the house far in the distance, viewed just right of the lamp post by the driveway - that's home!)

Then, using the dropdown menu, select "backyard." The 360 view of the exterior from the rear shows a three-story house, the result of a walk-out lower level. (Also note the pond, which a certain son found irresistible until he was grounded but good for running away to it. Harrumph.)

You can also get a glimpse of the walk-out aspect from the interior by selecting the family room view.

#31403 06/20/01 02:59 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
too bad Mav-- as the sun sets in your sitting room, i am sitting (at least on weekend and holidays) in my gazebo out of the mid day sun.. It has sconces for the cintronella candles, and tables and chairs, (no couch, but it does have a lounge chair) a windchime, and 4 hanging planters.. the sunny side has 2 ivy geraniums, the shady, 2 fuschia. the shade is from (depending on the time of day), an giant oak (at least 75 feet tall) an maple (not even 20 feet tall) or a elm-- about 40 foot tall-- but a bit down hill-- so its seems only a few feet taller than the maple. and the gazebo has a small shelf with a resin copy of a Degas sculpture.. (what room is complete with out art?) around the gazebo are plantings of hosta, sweet williams, tiarellas, ferns, iris, and spring bulbs. It is one of the nicest part of my house!

I think about buying a portable heater so i could use it more in the winter.. but i do use it on sunny days in the winter-- leaveless trees admit more sun, and the concrete floor soaks up the heat from the sun.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith