Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#30280 06/01/01 02:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know this thread is about real graduations, but, since he did put Part V:

Bingley is an old hand. How do you feel, now that you are no longer an addict, sir?

#30281 06/01/01 04:37 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Are my hands trembling with cold turkey or just because they're old?

By the way, Jazzo, advice seems presumptuous since I have no experience of an American college, so I'll just say I hope the experience is everything you wish for it, and more.

Bingley

Bingley
#30282 06/01/01 11:08 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Are my hands trembling with cold turkey or just because they're old?

"Old" hands on the "old hand"--ohmigawd! Ow, ow, ow!
===========================================================

Jazzo., you are well and truly out of most that was familiar to you, now, aren't you, Sweetie? Since I am a
security-craving person, I don't envy you, facing the unknown. But a great many people thrive on it, and feel that they're going "stale" without some elements of uncertainty. Whichever tendency you lean toward, you'll be fine at college. It won't take long for you to feel
"settled in"--orientation will help a lot, with that. I
will tell you that the biggest difference to me was the
"homework": very seldom was it due the next day. Rather, assignments were due days, or even weeks, after they were handed out. And there is no one to make sure you do them,
and to make sure you begin them early enough so that you don't have to stay up all night working on it for the first time, the day it is due. A lot of freshmen (and older students as well) spend so much time socializing that their
grades suffer--and there is no one, usually, to give them any real warning, until they get the failing grade. I have a feeling you will manage both aspects of college life quite well. Good luck to you.

#30283 06/01/01 12:44 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Congratulation, Jazzo. I concur with the wisdom other members offer. Enjoy the challenges of the new experiences ahead, and keep your feet anchored to the very (un)common-sense reality you have displayed to us on this board. Mix business and pleasure in full measure – otherwise, as Berowne says in Love’s Labour’s Lost:
”O, these are barren tasks, too hard to keep,
Not to see ladies, study, fast, not sleep!”

The only specific advice I offer is: question everything. That includes your own natal and conditioned assumptions, as well as the logic and motives of all who will presume to share their wisdom. In cultivating dispassionate intellectual honesty, avoid the trap of empty cynicism, lest the King’s jibe about Berowne come true:
“How well he’s read, to reason against reading!”

Good luck.

Bingley, it’s so good to see someone climb out of such an addictive frying pan…

#30284 06/01/01 04:06 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Maverick says : Bingley, it’s so good to see someone climb out of such an addictive frying pan…

...and into the fire to be purified for yet higher endeavours!

#30285 06/02/01 01:39 AM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Jazzoctopus
Hopefully some of you can dig up some appropriately inspirational poems and quotes for this occasion.

There are so many quotes and poetry that we can dig up for you to celebrate this milestone in your life, and I have a favorite but there is one thing I have to remind you not to forget--Do not forget your Aunt Jackie's advice on homework., because, dear Jazzo, to be able to enjoy to the fullest all the frills and the fun that come with college, first you have to do homework.

Congratulations! Don't forget the homework!

chronist

#30286 06/02/01 11:28 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Though I've had a couple of undesirable teachers, most of them had a passion for what they were doing and were filled with inspiring wisdom.

One of the best things about college, at least for me, has been the wonderful professors I've been privileged to study under. They have imparted knowledge and wisdom, inspired, and challenged me throughout my three years (so far) of college. I sometimes say that I've never met a professor that I didn't like-- not strictly true of course, but close to it.
I hope that you will have a great college experience, Jazzo. I can honestly say that I am enjoying this time in my life-- my college years-- more than any other, at least so far. May you be able to say the same in the coming years!
Congratulations on your graduation tomorrow, and God bless you.

#30287 06/02/01 02:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Since I'm the only one bold enough to say this... even without knowing your background... in the words of Homer Simpson to the nerds of the world ... par---tay.

(I was gonna' say "it'l be your last chance before 'real' life'... but I've already proved that wrong...)

(after you do your homework... of course)

#30288 06/02/01 03:59 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here's an exam hint I'd nearly forgotten ... there was one Professor I had who "suggested" his students check out a certain section of the HUGE library ... then one question on the exam was (to paraphrase) "Provide directions to the ___ section of the library starting from the main desk." The question was a quarter of the exam.
Sooooo if your Prof "suggest" a visit somewhere .... GO!
Best of Irish luck to you.
P.S., I aced the question, but then I was used to "suggestions" from the Good Sisters!

#30289 06/04/01 09:30 PM
J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Well, I now have in my possession a diploma. Yesterday I graduated and high school is now behind me.

I purposefully delayed responding to your posts because to answer each individually would have been madness. I thank you all for your kind words and wisdom you have imparted. I hope that I can make use of it. It's nice to know that I have a place like this with so many great friends.

My college plans are, for the most part, finalized now. As my profile says I'll be going to the University of Cincinnati to study Architecture. I know, I know, you said don't get too caught up in my major, but this program is designed as an emersion course. They start you off freshman year with mostly architecture classes. Part of the benefit of this is that if I decided I don't like it I can get out early before wasting too much time, but I plan on enjoying it. And seeing as UCs Architecture program is ranked 6th in the nation, they must know what they're doing.

I am, of course, also intending to take other classes. I'll be in the honors program so I'll have access to smaller, off-beat classes like Eastern Thought and American Literature and Moral Responsibility in the Age of Cognitive and Brain Sciences. I haven't totally decided on a minor yet, but it will probably be urban planning, history or philosophy.

I'll of course continue coming here for my daily fun and English lessons, even if my roommate thinks I'm wierd.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith